fashion designer shows high heels for men

lolla

Hi Girls Finaly a fashion designer made high heels for men. Rui Leonardes, a young shoe designer, made this big step. May be, in the near future, more men will walk in high heels on the street. Kisses Lolla

Here's an article I found in the Online Daily Telegraph:

Take note of the last sentence!!!

Posted Image

"While women have for decades plundered the male wardrobe, few men have been happy to embrace feminine sartorial style.

But Rui Leonardes, a young shoe designer, took a step towards balancing the score at the Royal College of Art's MA Fashion Graduate show in London yesterday with a collection of high heels for men.

Male models wearing high-heeled shoes from Leonardes' collection

His models teetered down the catwalk in six-inch, spike-heeled stilettoes. The shoes, ingeniously constructed, were hand-made in a mix of leather, denim, tweed, wool and bright nylon to match various suits and trousers. One bright pink floral pair came with a matching jumpsuit.

"I wanted to question masculine stereotypes," said Leonardes, originally from the Azores.

"I practised walking in them myself for two days. It's not too bad. It's a bit like walking in cowboy boots, only higher."

The models were not so sure. "I was certain I was going to fall over," said Tilal Imani.

Thomas Donocik added: "They pinch your toes a bit, but I don't mind. It's very rock 'n' roll."

Tibor Rohaly, a tutor in menswear technology at the RCA, had just 15 minutes backstage to master the art of the catwalk stiletto-strut when one of the male models was pronounced incapable of walking without wobbling. Other menswear collections featured variations on the skirt and kilt, with Dracula cloaks and suiting recurrent favourites.

Womenswear tended to be warrior-like and the footwear was generally practical and flat."

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

Hmmm! Interesting write-up...wonder if there are/were any pictures to go along with the narrative?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hmmm! Sorry. For some reason, the photo didn't appear the first time I read your posting. However, now that I've seen it, the shoes /boots don't appear to be much different than regular women's styles, do they?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Drat, beaten me to it. Mind you, if his styles take off it will only make it easier to sell mine. Hot idea tho......

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

It looks like he joined the fashion scene at the right time.... because more and more women and comming down from 3, 4 and 5 inch heels and are going for 1 or 2 inch fashion flats.....which men are going for 1 or 2 inch heels to perhaps 3, 4 and 5inch now...so it looks like men will take over on the high heels front... :P

It will be interesting to see if these shoes actually appear in the high street store windows for sale or if they are only for runway use as usual. Then again, if they do appear, will they sell. Has anyone been able to come up with any pics of them yet? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Two responses: 1)Those men have the "dead" look of most models, making what they wear a put-off. 2) I agree with Bubba; the shoes look pretty much the same, except for the colors, as what I've bought from Pierre Silber. Painter

Take a chance.

Dr. Shoe:-) Don't worry...he didn't steal your thunder...competition is good for everyone. We need more people to blaze the market with product. If one person picks up the idea and runs with it, then many will jump on the bandwagon and our cause will be off the ground. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Dr. Shoe, if it takes off, you'll benefit from all the publicity. I wonder if the heels are really 6 inches. A lot of news writers seem to have no idea how high heels really are and over-estimate. Six inches is pretty challenging for first (or even 50th) time wearers.

Lolla, I'm also interested in a link to pictures of this designer! But he's not the first. Some years ago Jean Paul Gaultier sent his male models with pumps and pointy stiletto boots on the catwalk. And I remember to have seen male models of another designer on platform ankle boots with at least 4'' high tiny block heels. Many of his models were wearing skirts. I found these pics on a "vogue"-site. I can't really complain about fashion designers: Some of them are engaged. Their idea is simple: Either it will be accepted and my collection will be the runner of the season or it won't be accepted by the guys but my collection is shown in every fashion magazine as scandalous!

The best fashion is your own fashion!

... and the link to the story, or website, is... ?

Posted Image

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/06/10/nfash10.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/06/10/ixhome.html

There you go!

I dont think you would catch me going out like that though, although it would be a fantastic time to get some great boots and shes in the sales!

Nigel.

The angels have the phonebox.

An interesting concept, but I'd have to see those shoes in a storefront window before I'm convinced that this is nothing more than some stunt by the designer to get him some free publicity. And I also agree with Bubba than this guy's shoes look no different from the women's variety one can buy anytime, anywhere.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I agree with JeffB and onyourtoes. Somehow I don't see guys STARTING in 6inch heels. Maybe 2½, 3, even 4, but NOT 6 by any stretch. The styles also look very womanly.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Up to about 1966, an inch was 2.539996 cm. Scientists realised that nobody was using imperial units for really accurate measurements, so the inch was re-defined in terms of centimetres as 2.54 cm exactly. OK this gave you slightly more curtain material when you bought it by the yard (36 inches), so the seller made about 1 part in a million less profit, but, hey, the material is going to stretch more than that ! Xa

I think it's inevitable actually. I think that men will be wearing (blocky) high heels within three years and stilettos maybe two or three years after in mainstream fashion.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.