Appearance or comfort?

larry

I just made a donation to a Salvation Army thrift store that included a pair of electric blue 4" stilettos with round toes. Those shoes were the most comfortable high heels that i've ever owned and after five years, they still looked like new. I ordered them through Fredericks of Hollywood and they looked good in the catalog but not on me. I'm not to much of a fan of lower heels but I found a pair of extremely pointed toe shoes with 2" heels tucked away in my basement storage area that I forgot about. I put them on and once again I felt the pain. I love the look but the pointed toes are too painful so I can only wear them in a limited capacity. I love em and I will keep em forever. What are your thoughts? Visual? Looks? Other? ....Thanks...Larry.

Love those heels!

Hi Larry, Both look and comfort are important to me. I'm fortunate in that I can wear a very pointed toe shoe due to the shape of my foot combined with the fact I have long toes that easily conform to the pointed toe shape. There are basically two pointed toe shapes, the classic pointed toe which has a rather short toe box and the euro toe in which the toe box extends beyond the toes. Many people who can't wear the classic pointed toe can wear the euro toe. You'll be surprised at just how roomy the euro toe box is.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Hi, Larry, :P I agree with Shafted, but wearing anything that causes pain is not a good idea. Destroying your feet to be fashionable makes no sense. The style in pumps right now is pointed toes, probably not a good idea for you to walk around in. Perhaps you might wear them only when you can sit a lot. A possibility, after using a shoe-stretcher, as I use for most pumps? High-heeled sandals tend to have a wider toe-box, so wearing them should be less of a problem, if you wear heels to walk around a lot. Slings, also, often have a wider front, so they might be a more fashionable alternative to the pointy-toed pumps. Rainbow PS. I'm sorry that you gave away those electric-blue shoes: lol! My favorite color and heel height. I just hope they weren't 13s! :P

In 100 years no one will care that you wore high heels today.

I agree with Rainbow and Shafted. No use in pain for style. I live in South Florida, and when it is really hot and humid, I have to resort to sandals or the long pointy toes in a pump. Heat makes my feet sweat and swell terribly. So do what your feet are happiest with, and what is COMFORTABLE!! Heels are GRRRREAT!! S.L.

Heels Are GRRREAT!!!

S.L.

I just made a donation to a Salvation Army thrift store that included a pair of electric blue 4" stilettos with round toes. Those shoes were the most comfortable high heels that i've ever owned and after five years, they still looked like new. I ordered them through Fredericks of Hollywood and they looked good in the catalog but not on me. I'm not to much of a fan of lower heels but I found a pair of extremely pointed toe shoes with 2" heels tucked away in my basement storage area that I forgot about. I put them on and once again I felt the pain. I love the look but the pointed toes are too painful so I can only wear them in a limited capacity. I love em and I will keep em forever. What are your thoughts? Visual? Looks? Other? ....Thanks...Larry.

Hi Larry,

I'm still angry about myself because of putting my 70ies platform boots into the Red Cross charity box. They had 3'' heels in a wooden style - the classical retro look. And they were male platform boots :P

But I thought: Impossible to wear these oldies on the street. This style is completely out! But later in the 90ies they would have been a real eyecatcher. Now this style is out again. A pointy style is the actual fashion. And I'm almost sure that the next fashion will be rounded too boxes :P

BTW: my own experience with pointy boots is that they are much more comfortable to wear than every other style! I have to agree to my preposters (Shafted, Rainbow and Stilettoheels). They allow even with 2 sizes too small a comfortable wearing. At least for me. My feet are slim and I'm getting a benefit of the long toe box.

nice greetings

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

I think I would have to say never throw out shoes (unless they are falling apart) there seems to be countless posts her about folk regreting it after they have done it! everybody knows that fashions come around again, and when having a clearout, put them into storage or up in the roof! anybody forced into getting rid of their collection in the UK should get in touch with me, I will put them in my roof and hang on to them for you. Then in a couple of years time when you miss your old heels, you can just come and get them. there, no exuses now. Nigel.

The angels have the phonebox.

An interesting question, Larry. I suppose it would depend on one's personal preferences and what people value most. Speaking for myself, I try to shoot for both, even though it's not always easy to achieve as I want to look good and feel good.

If you're not familiar with me and my tastes, my favorite style is the standard pump with a classic pointed toe. Shoe width is, in my opinion, just as important a factor as the shape of the toe. If you find a shoe that's wide enough to accomodate your foot, then you'll be able to maximize your comfort, if not, then a pointed toe box can cause problems.

As for heel height, that can be a crucial factor as well when it comes to comfort. Some can wear towering heights of five inches and more with no difficulty while others can't manage anything over three inches. In my case, I can't bring myself to wear anything under four inches, but never exceed five because I wear my heels in public and do a goodly amount of walking.

Again, it all depends on the individual and what he values most. If it's comfort, tailor your likes in that area, you can never go wrong with shoes that make your feet feel good.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I'm one of the fortunate few that can wear a pointed toe box comfortably and have for decades now. That also gives me the good looks as well. I also have some shoes and boots with a flat toe or a snip toe and some with semi-pointed toe boxes, and some with the new extended toe boxes. So as you can see, I have a great variety of footwear styles. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

It's curious that I've heard or read that women often prefer fashion over comfort when it comes to wearing heels. Like I said, I try to balance the two, and for the most part, I feel that I've succeeded, but it hasn't been easy, like turning away from sharp looking shoes that don't offer the comfort I need for my daily outings, or saying no to comfortable looking shoes that don't turn me on, usually because the heel was too low for my liking. It takes lots of research and looking around, but it's possible to find shoes that both look great, and, just as importantly, feel great. :P

There was an article in The New York Times not long ago about the many women who actually have surgery on their feet so that they can wear the latest fashionable pump.

How ghastly!

:P

Rainbow

Surgery? Nope! No way, Jose! I've only been under the knife once in my 46 years on this rock, and that was when I had my tonsils removed when I was nine! The notion of surgically altering one's feet just to fit into the latest shoe style is flat out insane! There has to be limits to what anyone would go through just for the sake of fashion!

It's somewhere in the middle for me, let's be honest, no pair of heels is going to be as comfortable as my trainers! That said the few pairs I have that are uncomfortable I hardly wear, if ever. I'm lucky in that I can wear pointed toes comfortably though, as they're my favourite. The idea of having surgery on your feet to fit into a pair of shoes is horrible, it's like the original version of Cinderella! Chris

For heels that I'm willing to appear in public in, it's all about APPEARANCE! I'm not afraid to try on a shoe in a store and walk around, so any serious comfort questions are taken care of right upfront. If something is too gaudy, uncomfortable, or otherwise unappealing, I simply don't buy it. I can be comfortable in my house. When I go out, I'd like to look my best, at the slight sacrifice of comfort.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

i don't mind a little bit of discomfort providing it is not to bad, because u can put up with it without doing hard, i have a pair of boots i got from faith that look wicked but after about an hour of wearing become killers an i have to take then off, were as others i have i can wear all day or all nite and they are great, no disconmfort at all. so the comfortable ones get worn an i go out in them the ones which give abitof discomfort just get worn round the house. anyone else work it this way?. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

Jeff:-) I must agree with you again. No surgery just so you can wear the latest heels. Luckily, I don't have a problem and I am most comfortable in pumps or boots with a pointed toe-box. No way, no surgery! Chris100575:-) See! Someone else has noticed how shapely your legs look in your hose and pointed, stiletto pumps. I'm not the only one that likes your Avatar. And to think that you were going to change it one time. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Chris100575:-)

See! Someone else has noticed how shapely your legs look in your hose and pointed, stiletto pumps. I'm not the only one that likes your Avatar. And to think that you were going to change it one time.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Here's another vote for Chris and his very charming avatar pic! Don't you dare change it! It's fabulous!

It sounds like we're all on the same page here. The electric blue baby doll 4' stilettos were from Fredericks and were very comfortable but had very little going in the way of appearance. Thru the years I have donated three pairs of heels to the salvation army and never regreted it. My main problem was that I bought on impulse. They look good in the store or on the net and yes, as chris said no high heels are really comfortable. Dam! Maybe i'm losing it. I would love to have a pair of pointed toe flats in size 13 womens but that would only result in another donation! lol.....larry.

Love those heels!

Larry:-) All of a sudden pointed toe flats are making a comeback so you may be lucky and still find a pair in a 13 women's size. They seem to be popping up everywhere now. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Larry:-)

All of a sudden pointed toe flats are making a comeback so you may be lucky and still find a pair in a 13 women's size. They seem to be popping up everywhere now.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Perhaps that's this year's style of choice like those horrid Chinese slippers were last year's. I've seen more than my fair share while out and about, it's mostly teenage girls who've been wearing them more than women. Don't think much of 'em really, but if folks here like 'em, hey, that's cool!

JeffB:-) Like you say, if pointy toed flats are your bag, more power to you. Go for them. I just pointed out my observation on the subject. Dawn won't be getting any for her shoe collection...no heels! Besides that...flats make her ankles look so much bigger, where a heel makes them look so slim and sexy. Cheers--- Dawn HH

The higher the heel, the more I'm going for appearance instead of comfort, but I like all my footwear a bit snug. Just like the way it feels. Too big, or loose, high heel pumps, especially, just don't feel right to me.

I like my heels and boots to fit properly for long periods of wearing, up to 18 hours at a time sometimes, and after a while I really forget that I have them on. That's the kind of fit and comfort that I look for. Cheers--- Dawn HH

I like my heels and boots to fit properly for long periods of wearing, up to 18 hours at a time sometimes, and after a while I really forget that I have them on. That's the kind of fit and comfort that I look for.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

18 hours? Whew! That's quite a long spell! The longest I've worn heels during a day was eight hours, but even then, I've always been comfortable in my shoes, and that's important to me.

JeffB:-) Yes...18 hours and this is not a one time thing. I have done this countless times through the decades. As you can see...I sleep only 6 hours a night. I have never needed any more sleep than that. Like you say...comfort is the number 1 thing for me in wearing high heels, whether they be pumps, Mary-janes, or boots. Cheers--- Dawn HH

JeffB:-)

Yes...18 hours and this is not a one time thing. I have done this countless times through the decades. As you can see...I sleep only 6 hours a night. I have never needed any more sleep than that.

Dawn HH

Well, it seems we have lots in common. After twenty years in the military and waking up at all hours, my biological clock is screwed up, so I usually wake up at 4 AM, seven days a week and manage just six hours as well. But then, I usually manage to catch a catnap after work which gets me through a fun filled night of watching TV before I call it a night around ten.