Advice for shopping in new orleans?

LA Woman

I will be going to New Orleans within the next couple of months and I was wondering if anyone has been shoe shopping there. I have done some homework on places to buy shoes around new orleans. I am thinking of visiting Oakwood Shopping Center in Gretna, The Esplande in Kenner, and the Lakeside shopping center in Metairie. Does anyone have any experiences with these malls? How about any other good spots in New Orleans? I would like to try some shoes on in the stores, since it is highly unlikely that I would see anyone that I would even remotely know. Which store or stores would be more "accepting" of me trying on heels? About styles I like: I am not really into the 5 inch "fetish" heels. I am more into pumps in the brands like BCBGirls, Steven, etc that would be found in malls. Thanks, LA Woman

5" heels being called "fetish" that's a new one to me! I always though that 5" heels were considered "High", and that 6"-9" (ballet heels)/ was considered "fetish" but then everyone has an opinion :-) later, TXT-1

I was in New Orleans a couple of times for business, and never did find a great place to shop for heels. Hopefully someone can help out with a gem of a shop for any of us who happen to visit the area :P Btw, if you do spend any time on bourbon St, the fact you are not too interested in 5" heels will do you well. I almost twisted my ankle wearing flat shoes.. and the only heels I had with me were 5", so I really didnt get to do any street heeling while down there. Good luck! Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

As a locale, I can tell you that the three malls you mentioned are easily the best three in the city by far. The Esplanade mall is the most "chic" but there are can't-miss stores in all three malls. The New Orleans Centre in downtown New Orleans is bery swanky and consists almost exclusively of designer stores, so don't forget about the "Mall By The Dome." There's also plenty of mom-and-pop stores down Magazine St., one I heard of (the name escapes me at the moment) gets new shoes every week and drops the price on them $1 every day that they go unsold to a certain point. Keep in touch with me as your date of arrival nears, and I'll scout the city more often. Since I wear a size 13, my choices are highly limited, but I'll make mental notes of any other notable shoe stores I may come across.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

I always though that 5" heels were considered "High", and that 6"-9" (ballet heels)/ was considered "fetish" but then everyone has an opinion :-)

Well, maybe I should have said 6" heels, as I actually have 2 pairs of 5" heels. :P As much as my bank account hates it, I prefer the designer heels. They seem to be much more comfortable than the shoes from Fredericks or any of the like. I can stand or walk for hours in my 4inch BCBGirls Heels!

Danielle, Keep me posted of anything that comes to mind please! And thanks for the offer of being on the lookout for stores. Are the people of New Orleans fairly open minded? What would they think if I tried on shoes in the stores, especially the mall (Dillards, 9west, etc)? I know some of you will say "it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks", but I am kind of new to the thought of going public. I have been a closet heeler for years!

Thanks,

LA Woman

I found a place today on Metairie Rd. at Carrollton Rd. called Imelda's. Didn't go in but they have daytime hours that I saw posted, I believe 9-6. I'm sure most people wouldn't care especially with New Orleans being the city that it is.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde