Colour test - heels and stockings

Laurieheels

We all know the general rules for fashion. Stockings should never be darker than the colour of the shoes. But is there anyone who thinks different than this? Or is there anyone who likes the look? It comes up because when I was at Heelsonline, I wore black stockings, and I had to try on the white baby doll pumps. I said "Lock the door, the fashion police might show up". Personally, I like to stick to the rule, but maybe others have different opinions on this. So? What do you have to say about the colour of stockings and the colour of shoes?

I think that you have to take the colors of the whole outfit into account. Lighter colored shoes than stocking is not a conventional look, but so what. I think black stocking with white shoes can make for a more interesting and exciting look than white or tan stocking with white shoes. You have to take the total look into account. Don't forget rules are meant to be broken. If you like the look do it and break the rule, if you go YUCK! than stick to the rule. Ken

Ken

Well, I usually opt for off-black hosiery (I wear pantyhose every day at work) to go with my shoes, all of which are black. When paired with gray or black pants, it all matches well together. Far be it for me to be a fashion expert, but I wouldn't wear black hosiery with white shoes, too much contrast. The same goes for white hosiery with black shoes. Still, in the end, it all depends on the individual and his/her own taste.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Off white stockings with black shoes can look good if the outfit is not black. For example, a green skirt and a white blouse can go well with linen stockings and black shoes. But a true white is too bright for anything but nursing. :smile:

Vicki, I think that looks good as well, so long as the white is not WHITE! I wore my linen stockings with black patent stilettos today, and I think it looked fine. So long as the colour is muted somehow, and thus not overpowering, it works!

I agree that black and off-black have quite the alluring quality. But with spring here and summer around the corner, I may opt for a lighter shade, say like taupe or suntan which goes well with my skin color since I'm African-American. Everyone at the office either knows or suspects that I wear pantyhose, so changing my shade wouldn't be a problem for me, other than deciding which shade to change to! :smile:

On the other hand, why not stand out for a change! I might wear thin stockings whith some pairs of boots but since they are hidden under boots and trousers it doesn't matter want colour they are! For the record I wear black or dark grey, so no suprises there.

Well Fox, if they don't stand out, I think you should wear fish nets. No one will see them, and you can feel like you're taking on a challenge. If anyone sees them and has a bad reaction, tough for them! Of course today I wore black, no big surprise. But it was a day of visiting doctors...

Thanks for the tip, Laurie! Never was much of a fan of white hosiery anyway. Saw one co-worker yesterday wearing off-black hosiery with white shoes while her outfit was a two-tome white and black pantsuit. Very contrasting indeed! Think I'll go with a dark brown shade like I mentioned previously.

On Wednesday, I made the switch from black hosiery to taupe which I matched with olive slacks and a matching shirt along with my black Aigner pumps. My co-workers were suitably impressed with how I put that outfit together, one lady told me that the lighter shade of hosiery worked perfectly with what I wore and said I was quite stylish! Not bad for a guy who used to hate dressing nice!

That's the big offspring to wearing heels, guys start to think about coordinated outfits and look a lot smarter after a while. After an initial surprise, the women appreciate, notice and become more friendly or talkative. Nothing but advantages to the courageous ones between us.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

You're quite right, Highluc! Early on when I began wearing heels to work, I felt it was crucial that my clothes be as nice as the shoes I chose to wear. That became even more important when I made what is now the full time switch to pumps and decided that hosiery would also be a must. I've actually written out a list of the colors of all the shirts, pants and shoes I have and plotted out what color hosiery would work best with my outfits. And I think that's paid off as I definitely look sharp while at the office. Another benefit I think to wearing heels: you'll want your clothes to look as nice as your shoes! :smile:

You never see anybody wearing white hosiery normally here in the UK. Nude colours, barely black and of course black are the main colours. Personally I like all colours on legs, but coloured hosiery is rarely seen :smile: The best tights I saw were is Germany late 2000, where 1 leg was 1 colour and the other leg was different colour eg black and orange or red and green. They were in the sale - I wonder why?

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Well, I did see a co-worker wearing navy pants, white hosiery and navy shoes. It looked like a suitable combination to me. But, I'll admit I'm not exactly an expert, so what would I know? :smile: In the end, it's all subjective, what may look horrible to one person probably looks great to another. Vive le difference!

White with navy looks quite smart. The general fashion rule, as is printed and televised, is that stockings should never be darker than the shoes being worn. It can be bent, of course. But white stockings and navy shoes are a good combination, especially with pants. Not as much for a very short skirt, because the white really shows a colour difference for those girls with, um, well, like me, that have, how should we say, curvier hips and thighs. They look good, sure, but they also stretch things in different ways.

Hello, also around here in germany white hosery is seen realy seldom! Most popular are the black and the skin colored. Anyway, I've to agree that white shoes with black hose looks quite strange for me.... best wishes Joak :smile:

Tan goes well with any shoe. Black + white / white + black == teh ugly. Red nylons are hard to coordinate, and generally are bad. Stockings must be lighter than shoes. Black stockings only go well with black shoes. Trust me, I tried.