WAHEY .... We're back !!!

A very big thank you from me to those responsible for getting this forum back up and running. Although I'm not a big poster, I have missed checking up on what's going on in 'our' part of cyberspace! :P It's great being back amongst friends! :P Thanks again to all involved

After "the virus" and "the hack" and "the random corruption" problems earlier in the year, I really believed that someone would be taking a daily or weekly backup in case of further problems.... You didn't? I am speechless......

Hi to all members, I was checking nearly daily if my beloved forum would wake up again. Some days ago I lost almost any hope when I read on my screen "The requested site wasn't found". What a joy to see that our forum is online again :P:D:o Thanks to all, who were caring for the resurrection of this forum. Thanks to Jeff, Xaphod, Firefox and all the unknown engaged guys and girls ... In my opinion the lost contributions aren't really a pity. It's funny to reread our two months old postings! Reminding me to the short half-life time of forum postings :P But that's internet ... micha (*also back again*)

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Hi everybody, it's great to see things up and running again! Much further of a time setback and I would have had to register again and start posting from scratch.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I think the moderators and technical folks who make this board run deserve a rollicking round of heartfelt kudos! I don't know what it takes to keep something like this going but the effort must be significant. It is also appreciated. Thanks to you all!

Have a happy time!

We all have a lot of catching up to do, but it is so comfortable to be back into my well worn 6" oxfords again. Welcome back everyone! I kept checking every day to see if the Forum was up again and was a bit disappointed when I found that it wasn't. But I did get caught up on my back book reading. I am just now beginning to receive notices of replys from the HH Place Forum in my daily e-mail again. So far, things are starting to fall into place. It will take me a while to get caught up, but I will. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Thank you Jeff for all your work in getting the forum back up and running. Now all we need are some more posters to find us again and get the forum live again. Calv

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

As much as I like simple interface of phpBB, I wonder if the uptime might be greater using something like EZBoard, which is managed by MSN? I also know there are web hosting companies out there that do full backups once every x days, and incremental backups on a monthly, weekly, and daily basis. As a result, if you get hacked, it's simple to log in, select the last full backup and the incremental backups up until that point and say "go." Of course you also have to worry about the hacker hitting you again... Then again, some of the best hosting companies have better firewalls to prevent that. That would make an interesting study, to determine the hacking success rate by web hosting company!

your suggestion of a "hosting company" is a good one. Now, all Jeff has to do is worry about collecting enough money each month to pay for their services. However as desirable as that might be, it is probably easier to put up with all of the inconveniences of a no cost server that it would be to try and collect "donations" or subscribtion fees each month.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Basically the sponsorship of Silhouette covers all costs for the site at the moment.. The site is currently hosted on a so-called virtual server. Meaning I have a complete virtual (like e.g. VmWare) linuxbox at my disposal where I have commandline access and can take care of my own backups etc. Ofcourse one thing I can't control is the physical server the virtual box runs on... If it crashes (like last week happened), my hands are tied. The virtual server is now set up for hosting the site and I still have to take care of some settings to do automated backups to my home server and such as well as setting up e-mail stuff so the board-sw can send e-mails again. I'm all working on that, but since I also have a life next to this site it won''t happen all over night... :-)

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Hmmmmm! Like Dawn, all of us appreciate your hard work and all of the effort you put into site maintenance, Jeff. Even I know that it is a big job, requiring a lot of time to "do it right." There are a lot of good IT technicians that are members here. So, please keep in mind that I'm sure some are available to lend a helping hand should you desire. (I am not one, however. Mainly because I don't know anything about servers and other "IT" stuff.)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

What Rob said. Ah good, I'm back with the good looking pumps again, instead of those nasty 6" granny loafers. Some good came from loss of posts!

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

As if we need reminding!

I spoke to Heelfan the other day and he missed all the problems we were having.

I did a screen shot during the problems and thought I would post it for anybody who missed what the mindless fool did to our site.

Posted Image

Nigel.

The angels have the phonebox.

A bloody shame that no backups were kept. I came back to the forum after 5 weeks away to find it offline. When it came back online many thousands of posts had been lost and hundreds of new members ceased to exist. All my PMs were gone too. I really hope someone is backing things up regularly now. This site runs on its content. The content is priceless. Leaving it vulnerable to deletion seems insane.

Jo, please remember that this site runs on goodwill and none of our cash. maybe we could get upset if we were paying, but I like to think of this site as a gift. and I am greatful. Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

I can understand where Jo is coming from and there may be others that feel much as he does. Everyone is free to express their own feelings and ideas and I respect that fully. I too am grateful that the Forum is back and fully understand what Jeff is doing for us and I really appreciate his great efforts. Cudos. But I also hope that we can all stay together for a long time without further interruptions and I also know that the situation is out of our immediate control at times. Congrats, Jeff. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!