Another example of why men wearing heels is look at funny

I was watching this show lastnight, called "Listen Up". It's basically a show staring Jason Patrick (of Seinfield fame) so plays a sports columnist/writer. Anyway in last nights show he runs into this bully who picked on him as a kid. They have a party where they invite all the other kids he grew up with so he can show how sucessful he is. Well, he has his wife dress up all sexy, tight dress and high heels to show how he landed a hot babe after they thought he was a loser. Well, after they find out the bully is now pretty much failing everything in life, the wife asks if she can change back to normal dress. He says "No, just a little longer, plus I think 'so and so' is checking out your legs". His friend/fellow columnist chims in "No, I think he is gay, he was checking out her shoes". Again, society somehow links men in anything "feminine" to being gay. Nevermind 1) Alot of women's shoes are more masculine looking to begin with, 2) facts show more straight men like wearing heels than do gay men, and 3) a woman dressed completely in men's clothes is fine, a guy in 1 thing is all of a sudden gay. Scotty

Attitudes like that are born out of ignorance and or stupidity. Apparently most gay men have no interest in wearing womens' clothes / shoes, they leave that up to us straight guys! I'm sure they get just as aggrieved at the assumption, albeit from the opposite side. Chris

Actually, I think it was a stereotypical way of saying that gay men would look at a pair of shoes for their aesthetic appeal rather than look at her legs.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

When I am admiring a womens boots, I do wish I could wear them! Is it that obvious I am doing a "gay" thing? Gee, I am definitely sending the wrong message then. Sometimes people find it easier to laugh along with a crowd or maybe the joke is on us. I recall that not much of anything was "sacred" to the Seinfeld gang.

classic style high heel boots

• 2 months later...

Again, society somehow links men in anything "feminine" to being gay. Nevermind 1) Alot of women's shoes are more masculine looking to begin with, 2) facts show more straight men like wearing heels than do gay men, and 3) a woman dressed completely in men's clothes is fine, a guy in 1 thing is all of a sudden gay.

Scotty

When men began wearing earrings in ernest in the late 1990s, it was initially perceived as somewhat feminine, until actors, football and basketball players, wrestlers, and other public figures began wearing them as well.

Then, it lost it's association with being feminine.

Have you noticed that the women's earring fashions have responded accordingly? Small hoops and studs have all but disappeared from the earlobes of women, and I've yet to see a woman wearing the 3/4 circle with two twist-on balls worn by many men, unless the balls are something feminine, like pink plastic or light green neon...

The bottom line is that women, in general, WANT to look different, and they want to look feminine. They will tend to avoid anything that looks decidedly masculine.

I'm currently in Germany on a long-term assignment, and while traveling here I wore the block-heeld leather wingtip oxfords I purchased on eBay. With long pants they look just like men's business shoes, even though they have a 3-1/4 inch heel.

Additionally, while travelling, I took note of feminine fashions throughout the airports, and it was extremely rare to find a woman dressed in anything I would consider masculine. Even the jeans were decidedly feminine, with some feminine flair like lace or side-ties at the bottom. All T-shirts were of a feminine flair, either by the logo or by the cut.

The closest thing I saw towards "masculine" was a gender-neutral outfit worn by a middle-aged woman. She had short hair and was wearing a polo shirt (with woman's left buttons, though), jeans, and walking shoes. But even she was wearing earrings that I've never seen on a guy, as well as a modest amount of makeup.

I believe it's this desire to be recognized as decidedly feminine (and to have their men appearing as decidedly masculine) which has resulted in many women decrying men wearing skirts and heels. Without it, I think most men would have fewer reservations about wearing higher heels and skirts.

Yeah. I do have to say one of the reasons I don't have a gf proably because most women wouldn't like that and don't like that I wear heels. Or maybe I just keep going after the shallow ones.

It's all good. ~Arron.

• 1 month later...

2) facts show more straight men like wearing heels than do gay men, and 3) a woman dressed completely in men's clothes is fine, a guy in 1 thing is all of a sudden gay. Scotty Very well said, Scotty!! While I straddle the fence when it comes to my sexual preferences, I feel the same way. Women's fashion designers "steal" all of the mens styles and they call it Fashion...Let a guy wear something which society deems is a feminine article of clothing and he is labled a homo, queer, or a fag. (US) Don't get offended, chaps.....but why do y'all in the UK call a cigarette a fag? Because you suck it?? Stilettoguy.... :morning:

one of the reasons I don't have a gf proably because most women wouldn't like that and don't like that I wear heels. :P Another reason is that they may be a bit jealous that many men can wear high heels and not have any trouble walking in them, wheras they have never been able to master the art. I've always been able to walk in heels even when I was a little kid, but I do have trouble with anything over 4 and a half inches....UNLESS the shoe has a nicely fashioned platform under the forefront. You could then wear a 7 inch stiletto heel if it had a 3 inch platform on the front of the shoe....It would then feel like just a four inch heel. Jeeeze! I could run in 4 inch stilettos! Wheee! Stilettoguy

Don't give up, Stilettoguy! Stay the course. I'm sure there is a woman out there that won't give your wearing heels a second thought. I would, however, be up front and truthful with any woman where you find your relationship becoming serious. You don't want to jeopardise your entire future relationship -- and, at some point it might also affect any children you might bring into the world.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

well I've NEVER known why men ARE called gay just because they like to wear womens boots! :P (I do & I am in fact GAY by the way) :P but NOT because of the fact that I am gay I do wear womens boots! because like so many of you out there, I LOVE the style, the fit, the over-all feeling of the boots on my feet & I just HAPPEN to be gay (but I could have just well have been str8 too) whenever I hear anyone say (behind my back maybe) "oh look, that guys wearing womens boots- hes gay!!" I need to consider the source (as my grandma used to say) & then just go right along my merry way!! :D

men still look good with pants tucked into the right boots!

Each of our situations is completely different. We all have a price to pay for our love of wearing women's shoes. I'm afraid that we'll never change attitudes to the degree we would like to see. Not in our lifetimes, anyway. Our only relief is to go to places where we're not looked upon as "strange" or different. (Like Peachy's shoe store :P )

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw another reference on a popular comedy show here in the states. Last weeks "According to Jim" (not sure if it was a repeat or a new one) Jim's wife was trying to get him to watch more "sensitive/romantic" movies because "women love men that are sensitive". Jim then replied "that is so wrong, as wrong as a man wearing clogs" to which both of them went "yuk" with their tongues out. Anyone see any more "negative" side comments in shows like that? Scotty

I don't know, it doesn't sound negative, but then again I don't wear clogs. :wink:

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.