Heels around children

Charlie

99% of the time, I wear whatever heeled style tickles my fancy. There was an incident tonight, however, that got me to thinking. The wife's relatives all come over on Sunday night for dinner. My wife's little cousin of 8 adores me and was chasing me around tonight with little stickers while I was on my way outside for a minute. She was trying to stick one on my shoes when she noticed that they were high heeled and said "you're wearing girls high heels!". I said "yep they are", and I continued to go outside for a couple of minutes. I must admit that the kid caught me completely off guard here! Everybody in the house (including her mother) heard her. It's not that I think that these people have never noticed my high heel wearing, but it's more like they've noticed, and simply don't focus on it. When I came back inside, everything was normal. Having time to think about it afterwards, I probably should have simply opened up this week's TV guide and shown the kid the picture from "That 70's Show" where all of the guys are wearing platform heels of a very similiar design. My question to everyone here is this: Should we tone things down when around children? I could have easily worn much less obvious shoes tonight, for example. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I agree! My 4-year-old daughter knows about my heels, and usually is off trying to walk in my platform stilettos! She thinks they're pretty, so I let her get away with it. She has incredible balance though! I wonder if my son will do the same thing when he gets older....only time will tell. Heck...let them draw their own conclusions! They're only shoes!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I think there is nothing wrong showing children some people wish to express their individualism or feelings instead of following the herd blindly. It didn't hurt my 2 daughters (exposed from young age but now married).

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Children are more open to change. Only when they get to about 11 do they start to stick with what they know, this also includes any attitudes they have developed. Most do not welcome any kind of change until early 20's when they begin to realise that the world isn't the rosy place that they were led to believe. So they start making their own choices. occasionally, you get some that make decisions based on rebellion or an 'IN' thing that everyone is doing and they don't want to feel left behind. Most kids I've met will point and say "why do you wear girls shoes?", to which I reply "Who said they were only for girls?". starts to make them think a little :smile: When heel wearing becomes the 'IN' thing again, everyone especially the kids will want them :smile:

... She was trying to stick one on my shoes when she noticed that they were high heeled and said "you're wearing girls high heels!". I said "yep they are", and I continued to go outside for a couple of minutes. I must admit that the kid caught me completely off guard here!

Kids can be cruel eh? But it's said that the truth comes from the mouths of kids and drunk people. If the grown-ups are ok with it, I wouldn't worry too much. Your adrenaline level will go down with time :smile:

But at least I am starting some kind of rolodex in my head with pre-brewed answers when I get comments in situations that I don't expect it. That way you don't end up with the feeling afterwards "I should have said this or that"

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

Hmmm, maybe we should publish this rolodex and start a topic on this: "What do you say when someone comments (negatively) on your heels". Could come in handy for some people (me for instance.. :smile:).

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Thanks all! Your replies are pretty much the same as what I saw on the old board. I've decided to continue to be myself and wear what I want no matter who comes over. Bert: You're totally right in what you said. It was so easy for me to make what you went through seem trivial, and yet, get all bothered about my own little incident. (which wasn't 1% as bad as what you went through btw) I'm sorry for that. I've decided to stay strong, and so should you! Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

It is an interesting issue. I have a young child who will soon be old enough to "notice" my shoes. I have not been wearing them around her, but I also don't hide the shoes. They are in the closet with everyone else's shoes. I am curious how many of the people that answered have kids themselves. It seems one thing to wear heels in front of someone else's kids, but with your own kids the relation is quite different.