Which heels sound best

allheel

I have read many comments of people enjoying the sounds of heels. Can you tell as someone approaches if it is a metal heel or plastic etc and which do you like better. I've noticed that a small metal heel seems to be quieter than a larger one but too large and its liable to slip on a smooth floor. What do you like?

Though I really like to wear high heels, I don't like heel tips that produce too much sound. Really hate to attract stares from the public. In general, metal tips are not really suitable for me cos they attract too much attention and also on a wet day, the heel don't really grip a wet floor especially ceramic tiled floors.

Cheers,

Nata

What about the effect of environment on the sound? There is one place at work, in the restaurant area, where the echo is quite fun. I love to walk between the couches in this one spot just to create the echo. And since our building is open from ground to floor twelve (big skylights up there at the top) the sound of heels can resound quite well. Sometimes there are great sounds from ugly shoes, simple because the heel of that shoe has good material and goes well with the acoustics of the lobby. Go figure.

Laurie mentions getting echoes. I remember in Sydney, St James station there was a long tunnel for pedestrian entrance which ended in steps. Wearing metal tipped slingbacks when tend to fall or drop onto the concrete steps made an echo that reverberated, most noticeable when there weren't many people around to absorb the sound. Metal heels with loose sandals or sling or no backs probably make the loudest sounds, the court shoe or boot makes quite a different or deliberate sound - hard to express it well.

I don't think the claw thing would work on hard surfaces. You need to deform the surface like those spider type golf cleats. If the surface is deformed or indented it quickly becomes wrecked. Anyway, metal is cool. If I don't wear thin metal heels I always screw hard screws into the bottom of blockier heels. The cracking sound is great though you do get a different sharper echo when the whole heel vibrates as in a stiletto. The sound depends on the natural frequency of the heel, it's material, the mass of the wearer, the speed of impact, and the relative stifness of the contact surfaces. I should know as I design footbridges and other structures to counteract vibration (No I didn't design the millenium bridge over the Thames :smile: )

• 3 weeks later...

On 2002-04-30 07:00, chip7X wrote:

Better yet! Metal tipped stiletto boots on hardwood floors. Oh yea! What a sound! :smile: However, the shoes aren't that good on the floors.

yep I think we have a winner here .....

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago I lived in a townhouse. There were some women living next door and one would leave around 6:30 am. She always wore pumps with about a 2" heel. She would walk down the concrete steps to her car. Most of the time one of her heels would drag across the concrete and make the most marvelous sound. I still think about that.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

My friend in Stevenage has this thing about a Chinese takeaway that's never open. I've walked over there twice now. It's about a 15-minute walk. Part of the walk goes under the road, so you walk through a small concrete tunnel. Both my wedges and a pair of narrow-heeled boots sound great in there. I highly recommend it to anyone who happens to find themselves in hh in Stevenage.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I love the sound of hard leather heels on wood floors...preferably in a saloon with the creak of old leather and starched Wranglers. The jangle of a couple of spurs doesn't hurt either!

There is something about the sound of a high heel made of solid or laminated wood that grabs my fancy. Mmmmmmmmmmm.... :smile:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!