Heelmeet Amsterdam 2005

Dude

• 3 months later...

Just an update really as a great deal of this thread got lost during the hacking and change of ISP. We would still like to do this. The original date was scrapped due to major plumbing works at my place, not only did it cost a fortune but it took ages too! Perhaps we will pop it on hold until after the summer and see who fancies a meet. Yours hopfully, Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

Yes, Autumn would be nice. If all goes well (ha ha) I should have moved into the Mk n domicile near Norwich by then. Now, it's a relatively short hop from Norwich airport to Amsterdam, or we could take a car on the ferry from Harwich. Xa

Yes I am still in. I think I had some clash with the previous date, but would love to go to Holland in the Autumn or summer if possible. The last date was on Mon & Tues or something which does not give a good chance for the greatest number of people. I would suggest a long weekend, maybe Fri-Sat-Sun or similar.

• 1 month later...

Doc....those are the exact dates I will be in Amsterdam on. Perhaps we can meet?

I arrive on the 19th and leave on the 25th.

I don't know what your interests are so I don't know where to suggest to meet. My guess is that you like food, no? So how about a great "dutch" restaurant for dinner at 6 pm on the 19th? Do you live in the NL?

This is supposed to be one good place:

http://www.desilverenspiegel.com/

According to Zagats online service, they received a 23 out of a possible 30 for food and 19/30 for decor and 21/30 for service.

And this is supposed to be another:

D'VIJFF VLIEGHEN has great ambiance and supposedly good food too. According to Zagat's online service, they received a 22/30 for food, 26/30 for ambiance, and 22/30 for service.

Restaurant d'Vijff Vlieghen has nine interconnected dining rooms, each with its own distinctive style. All of' them recreate the rich atmosphere of the Golden Age.

The Rembrandt Room is particularly remarkable for its four original etchings made by the great Dutch master. In the Knights' Hall, displays of helmets and armour recall the Eighty Years War with Spain.

The Glass Room contains a collection of rare handmade glassware dating from the 17th century, whilst the 18th century panelling of the Bridal Room creates an intimate atmosphere.

Restaurant d'Vijff Vlieghen can accommodate 300

Their website sometimes times out, so try back a few hours later if you can't log on the first time: http://www.fiveflies.nl

But this one works: http://www.fiveflies.com/

Either of these places would work for me. Pam from the boards discussed the chance that he might be able to make it to Amsterdam too. I haven't heard from him in about a week.

Any other takers?

p.s. whats weird about Zagats is the print version gives different ratings than the online version. Both of the above restaurants received a better food rating in the print edition.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, Let's see if we can get this one off the ground sometime. I'm now installed near Norwich which has a shuttle air service to Schipol, so if we can't arrange something, more shame on us ! Xa