Shoes you don't dare to wear "outside"

manus

manus, I like your boots although they would really stand out..Why not give them a try on an outing... loveheel, Now those are a nice pair of boots!! I wouldn't have any trouble wearing those should they come in my size. Womens US13. Have any comments while at the mall? Jim

I know some people can wear them... I think I'm not enough selfconfident... I use to wear other kind of boots (pics already posted). I have bought them because I think they are beautifull... I like to wear them at home...

As much I would love to wear heels outside, I can't because of the country I live in the uptight society found here. The only thing I've worn outisde but that was the fashion back then, cowboy boots with squared off tip and 1 1/2 inch chunky heel (not really high heel). I would love to be able to wear my 5 inch stilleto's outside but not possible here, maybe on trip abroad. Stiletto's are the only type of heel I really like.

Rudd commented:

I have worn every single pair of shoes i have owned outside, 5',6',7' and even my ballets. I'm not saying I went into the busiest place in them all but still outside!!

I quite agree. There is a slight difference between wearing heels outside in the backyard in the dead of a cloudy night without any moon and walking down the corridor of the shopping mall in the midafternoon on the day after Christmas. :)

(Seeing how most shoppers would be concentrating on their gift returns, I doubt you would arouse any more interest that you would wearing them in your backyard)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Well, I've worn red leather and red patent in public, so it can be done. It all depends on how mauch confidence you have when it comes to wearing extravagant colors. I for one could wear those red boots, easily! :)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

It all depends on the level of a fashion statement one wants to make. As guys in heels can be seen as pushing the fashion envelope, extreme styles may not be to one's taste or comfort. It can be shocking to the general public to see someone (male of female) wearing shoes boots that seem to be intended for the bedroom in private, rather than mainstream styles. I prefer styles currently used for out in the world wear. I am not a trail blazer in that sense. However, how can something become mainstream if it is not worn by someone? It is not simple. Do what feels right for you. I can identify with owning your red boots. I remember when similar fashions were very much in style and wished I had bought a pair back then. Doubt I would wear such now.

classic style high heel boots

Manus:-) I can fully understand why you bought those bright red patent knee-boots. They are gorgeous and I am quite sure you enjoy them to no end. I know that if they were mine, I would feel the same. It would be interesting for us all if you could relate your experiences wearing them in public. Start with wearing them under long jeans that would hide all but a very little bit of the heel and the toe box. You can always get bolder later. Enjoy! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

As much as I genuinely hate to disagree with Dawn, but red, especially red patent is simply not a color you can wear discreetly, no matter how long the jeans you use to hide them are. I should know, I've worn both.

Not to scare you, Manus, but red's gonna stick out like the proverbial sore thumb. If you do decide to wear those boots outside, you'll have to be prepared for the reactions from those around you because you're gonna get 'em! In spades!

I wouldn't blame you for not wearing those boots outside if you lack the confidence. We all were in your position once when it came to how difficult it was to wear any sort of heels in public. The ball is ultimately in your court.

JeffB:-) You don't have to agree with me all of the time. Differences is what makes these threads go around. You have a valid point. Red patent sticks out like waving a flag at a bull, but like you said, it is up to Manus to set his goals for street-heeling himself. Even black patent or patent of any color might look suspect on a man, although it sounds like you may have bent the rules on wearing patent in public. This is why most of us choose black leather as our choice for street-heeling along with chunky heels and then get progressively bolder as time goes on. There is a lot of ideas and examples here for Manus or anyone else to follow. That is how I got started street-heeling by following the things that I had gleaned from the board members. In a few days,(December 19th), it will be the first anniversary of my joining the board and the beginning of my street-heeling and freestyling dressing as a male. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Dawn and Jeff, I agree with both of you. Yes, patent red shoes can be noticed ! But the fun of having a shoe collection and having achieved confidence is to wear what you feel like. My shoes often reflect my mood. When I wear black I want to be stylish. When I wear color I feel bold and excited. I think women have figured out a long time ago how to use their clothing to make a personal statement. Even women would stand out in red patent boots, and I know few (actually no) women that would wear them all the time. But there is a place and mood for almost everything. That is what makes it so much fun.

Excellent point, Loveheel. The main word in your discertation is "Confidence". That is what I and a lot of us are trying to build on. I'm certainly a lot more confident now about "freestyling" than I was a year ago when I started it. I don't break out in a nervious sweat now like I did in the beginning. I have made quite a bit of progress, thanks to the veteran leaders here on the board. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Yes, it does indeed take confidence, along with a massive pair of brass cajones for us as men to wear ANY color of women's shoes in public. But that's all part of fun, cheerfully giving the middle finger to society's long outdated norms about what we can and can't wear in public. And wearing red is the perhaps the ultimate statement of boldness. When Manus feels ready to take that big step, I'm sure he will. Like I said previously, it's all up to him.

Speaking of red boots in public, I popped into the bank yesterday to deposit a check that a client had just given me and standing in line directly in front of me was a lady, about my age, wearing a pair of bright red boots with the new round toe and 4" stacked wooden thin stiletto heels. Since we were experiencing one of our "rare" cold days here, she was also wearing a black wool overcoat. She was well dressed and looked comfortable wearing heels that high. The point really is that the red color drew my eyes directly to her boots as soon as I got into line. They got everyone's attention, especially some of the other women that were standing around. One lady, although looking like she was deep in thought about something else, couldn't take her eyes off of them. :) White is another color that attracts a great deal of attention.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

JeffB:-)

Bubba136:-)

I quite agree with you both that red and white are striking colors and will stick out like a sore thumb no matter who wears them, male or female. Cheers---

Dawn HH

I can't even get the gumption to go out in my 1 3/4" block heel ankle boots in black, let alone red!

You people who do these things amaze me. Well done. Keep it up.

HeelsRus:-) Black block heel 1 3/4" ankle boots should be no problem under long boot-cut jeans. Get some jeans, put them and the boots on, then go out and start to walk around just like normal while doing your daily chores. Most people won't even notice, if any. Let us all know how you fair out. Cheers--- Dawn HH

I can't even get the gumption to go out in my 1 3/4" block heel ankle boots in black, let alone red!

You people who do these things amaze me. Well done. Keep it up.

1 3/4"? Why, that's easy to get away with! No one would be notice all that much, if at all! Especially with long jeans! You should give it a try!

1 3/4"? Why, that's easy to get away with! No one would be notice all that much, if at all! Especially with long jeans! You should give it a try!

I've been searching for long jeans that will work. It's tough to find boot cut jeans or even casual pants (cotton pants) that will hang low enough and still look right.

Still looking though. In fact, I'm heading on a road trip tonight and will wear them with my regular jeans. We'll see what happens.

heelsRus, I'll bet you will be fine. I have on 4" block heeled boots on here today at work and unfortunatly my work pants don't cover the heel at all. I haven't had any coments at all, not even much of a glance. The owner of the business did give them a look and thought longer pants would be better otherwise thought they were just fine... Good luck, you'll be allright...Jim

shoes i wouldn't wear in public? these 5" stilettos i got from ebay, made by fredericks...

Posted Image

most everything else is tame enough for the public eye

shoes i wouldn't wear in public? these 5" stilettos i got from ebay, made by fredericks...

Posted Image

most everything else is tame enough for the public eye

I have worn sandals like that out. If you wear them slightly covered and with clean and polished nails, I have found to get less reaction than when I wear pointy boots with a stiletto heel.