What's with Zappos??? (international shipping??? nope)

Yet another company that doesn't ship internationally! Why would you voluntarily remove yourself from a huge buying population?? Is it just stupidity or does poor business sense enter the equation somewhere?

Anyone know where I can get

http://www.zappos.com/images/w/wNaturalizer38/827-107125-p.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/n/p?p=119468&c=216 (should also work, maybe better)

shipped to Canada? Size 12 (W probably), in black. I like their price (< US$60) but really.... shipping isn't that hard.

Thanks.

I agree with heelsRus:

but really.... shipping isn't that hard.

Especially to Canada. Sexy Shoes ships to Canada. I would think other companies would ship to Canada, also. So, what's the big problem?????? Common, shoe companies, tell us, please!!!!!!!!!! :)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

It's a conspiracy to prevent me from getting shoes. Not that I could afford to buy new shoes, but still, if I could, the conspiracy is in place to stop me! There are some issues some companies have as far as rates and deals and they figure it is easier to stick in the same country because they don't have to do as much figuring. Saves on currency conversaion, extra insurance, taxes, higher shipping rates... there's likely to be a great deal to doing this that we don't know about. I mean, how many things does a business have to pay for when it comes down to it? If they don't have the potential for profit and ease flashed in front of them, they won't bite. Ah heck, I like the conspiracy much better.

I think it is to do with USA legislation. To ship internationally you need an export licence and you need to jump through hoops and incur various red tape or other costs. So, to minimise their costs when settng up, they haven't been ready to go for this yet. Thus you can blame the USA, not Zappos. The USA claims to be a free country but it is very restrictive in trade terms as to what or who can or can't go into or out of the country without loads of officialdom.

If your theory is corrct FF then maybe we here in Oz will benefit with our recent signing of a free trade agreement with the US, that Zappos will export to Australia. Seriously there does seem to be some strange rules and regulations governing export from the US. I recently requested a CD manual of some equipment I repair on a regular basis, from the manufacturer. They agreed to send it through regular post but twice it got knocked back. The postal services refused to send it over seas. However sending through UPS was no problem at all. Jeff

If your theory is corrct FF then maybe we here in Oz will benefit with our recent signing of a free trade agreement with the US, that Zappos will export to Australia.

Seriously there does seem to be some strange rules and regulations governing export from the US.

I recently requested a CD manual of some equipment I repair on a regular basis, from the manufacturer.

They agreed to send it through regular post but twice it got knocked back. The postal services refused to send it over seas.

However sending through UPS was no problem at all.

Jeff

Sorry, Canada already has free trade with the US (has for years). Don't rely on that to get sttuf from the US.

I'm not sure I buy the trade restrictions thing, but it's possible I suppose. There are so many very small businesses shipping cross-border that I just find it hard to believe they went through those hoops. There are a number of large-ish firms that just don't ship outside the US. Harbor (sic) Freight, for example.

I think it just comes down to (yet more) laziness. They simply can't be bothered.

And unfortunately Zappo's goes one step further - you have to fax them your credit card (back and front) if it's an international one, which mine is, even if the stuff is shipped to a US address. Um... they don't really want to do business do they? Or is their computer system so poorly designed that it doesn't know about the rest of the world (like the US media during the Olympics :) )

Ok, rant over for now. :-)

Well, being ticked because I can't get what look to be excellent boots, I emailed Zappos just now. Won't hear back from them today, but asked them why they won't ship internationally. Also mentioned that I'd been speaking to people from outside the US about it, so maybe they'll get the point that it's more than just me. Maybe not. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Heelsrus

I was talking with tongue in cheek about our trade agreement. Maybe I should have put in a :) or :o

Jeff

'salright, we all thought things would be better once we had free trade here. It was fairly common to think trade would be, well, free - or at least free-er. As it is, things don't seem to be much different. Guess I'm just not seeing the smiley's when I should :-) It's been a tough couple years.

It might be that because Zappos gets the latest and greatest stiles first. You pay full price not just for the best customer service; but to be the few to have the latest fashion before going mainstream at a lower price many months later. Also it may be that the time table on how things get released around the world may be the reasoned why they only ship with in the U.S. Many shoe stiles that come to the U.S. were last years stiles else where in the world.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I think it is to do with USA legislation.

To ship internationally you need an export licence and you need to jump through hoops and incur various red tape or other costs. So, to minimise their costs when settng up, they haven't been ready to go for this yet.

Thus you can blame the USA, not Zappos. The USA claims to be a free country but it is very restrictive in trade terms as to what or who can or can't go into or out of the country without loads of officialdom.

Actually, Firefox, it has to do with International shipping laws, particularly those that cover lost/stolen packages.

However, FedEx, DHL, and other companies have solved those problems, but in doing so, it still costs money, like about $30 for a pair of simple shoes.

The problem is, when you're average cost of shoes sold is $60, adding 50% to the price just for shipping doesn't pass the business model sanity check, so they simply don't offer it.

Another reason is that the entry/exit cost for FedEx or DHL capability can be high, plus UPS has exclusionary clauses in their contracts, which mean that a company using UPS (the lowest-cost parcel shipper in the U.S., which is their largest market, by far), simply cannot afford to give that up to ship to a smaller market, even if that market is "international."

That's the simple truth, folks, although with Zappos it's a bit more complication, as they use the USPS for ALL their shipping.

Now - for the solution: If companies using UPS would be willing to settle for slightly higher shipping costs (via USPS) release themselves from UPS exclusionary clauses, they would gain an international advantage (via FedEx/DHL).

But the International rates would still be $30 a pair.

Unless, of course, FedEx/DHL entered the parcel post shipping business, as well, and contracted controlled space on freighters.

Although it might take you 8 weeks to receive your order, you'd probably pay less than $5 in shipping.

Still - not a particularly attractive choice for marketing...

Back to why Zappos doesn't utilize current, protected, traceable shipping options?

Who knows? I know it's neither due to trade restrictions nor exclusionary clauses (USPS isn't allowed to have any), so I'm as curious to see their response as anyone!

Actually, Firefox, it has to do with International shipping laws, particularly those that cover lost/stolen packages.

However, FedEx, DHL, and other companies have solved those problems, but in doing so, it still costs money, like about $30 for a pair of simple shoes.

The problem is, when you're average cost of shoes sold is $60, adding 50% to the price just for shipping doesn't pass the business model sanity check, so they simply don't offer it.

Another reason is that the entry/exit cost for FedEx or DHL capability can be high, plus UPS has exclusionary clauses in their contracts, which mean that a company using UPS (the lowest-cost parcel shipper in the U.S., which is their largest market, by far), simply cannot afford to give that up to ship to a smaller market, even if that market is "international."

That's the simple truth, folks, although with Zappos it's a bit more complication, as they use the USPS for ALL their shipping.

Now - for the solution: If companies using UPS would be willing to settle for slightly higher shipping costs (via USPS) release themselves from UPS exclusionary clauses, they would gain an international advantage (via FedEx/DHL).

But the International rates would still be $30 a pair.

Unless, of course, FedEx/DHL entered the parcel post shipping business, as well, and contracted controlled space on freighters.

Although it might take you 8 weeks to receive your order, you'd probably pay less than $5 in shipping.

Still - not a particularly attractive choice for marketing...

Back to why Zappos doesn't utilize current, protected, traceable shipping options?

Who knows? I know it's neither due to trade restrictions nor exclusionary clauses (USPS isn't allowed to have any), so I'm as curious to see their response as anyone!

Well, Gene, you're the closest :-)

I heard back from them and apparently it has to do with customs to _certain_ countries. So because they think they'll have problems shipping to Zimbabwe (or some other place), they won't ship to anywhere outside the US. Now that's thinking!

They are planning to provide internaltional shipping sometime but didn't say when. They did mention that they'd update their website when it was available though.

Ah well, still looking for those boots that are decently priced in the US without the difficulties in getting them from Zappo's - I don't have a fax to send the required information there, nor do I want to.

Maybe this will help you buy those boots in Canada, if you don't find a good U.S. source.

http://www.brownshoe.com/consumercare/canada.asp#findstore

http://www.brownshoe.com/natcanada/footwear_detail.asp?pid=auburn

Exactly what I want. Zappo's actually has a really good price on them too. I found one source here but they want C$145 instead of about C$90 - C$100 (converted from US).

Thanks very much for the links. I'll bookmark them.