a men's fashion guys do notice

dressboots

I am as much afraid of being noticed for wearing women's heeled boots in pubic I think because I am always on the lookout for styels I like. I do not regard myself as anything out of the ordinary, so believe other guys are also as concerned (or is that inspired) about what other people are wearing but apparently am incorrect in that conclusion based on what I read. The following obvservation I have made. Cowboy boots are noticed by guys and worn proudly by the same. They are accepted wear for men as well as women (women adopted the style). It is the only shoe I have seen men talk about with one another, comparing notes and comments on the styles - much the way women do about their shoes. Cowboy boots in this regard are a great departure from the "traditional" men's shoe fashions. Look at the varied styles available as well as materials and creative patterns used in thier manufacture. Cowboy boots are among the highest heeled of widely accepted men's footwear. Maybe us guys are not as locked into (boring) men's fashions as we all think we are. Cowboys boots are often suggested as the leap to femine fashions due to the heel height and wide acceptance. I digress. The premise here is that here is a men's fashion that garners the attention and conversation that women's fashions do. They vary in style and appearance and have (high) heels. They get noticed. They make a statement. Nothing is considered wrong or contraversial in this case.

classic style high heel boots

dressboots, What you say is true. I myself cannot get my wife to go along with my desire to wear heels. Tossed out a pair of platform kneeboots I had. I haven't shown her the newest pair yet. I am waiting for the right moment most likely after the holidays pass. I did just order a pair of western boots with a 3" heel and we will see how this goes over with her. She did state that cowboy boots were acceptable with her, hope she likes the heel.. Anyway, I will be wearing these out soon and I am sure there won't be a problem with the public. I have worn my other pair of boots, 3" heel kneeboot, without any strage looks or comments so when you get the courage I'll bet you will be OK. Let us know...Jim

I have had cowboy boots off and on for many years. My first pair of cowboy boots was custom made for me with 4" cowboy heels. I went back to that boot maker many times and requested many unique styles and heel heights. He gladly made them for me as I paid cash for them and always gave him a "bonus". I have not bought boots from him for some time now, but if I went back to him, I am sure that he would remember me.

High heels forever, ward

I have had a couple of pair of cowboy boots in my lifetime and enjoyed the pointed toe and the heel very much. I wore the first pair until they practically fell off of my feet before buying another pair. Now, since I am street-heeling, I haven't bothered to get another pair of cowboy boots because I'm quite happy wearing my women's heeled boots in public. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

To me the irony is interesting. Cowboy boots are a men's style picked up by women. I wear women's cowboy boots. A man wearing a women's version of a man's boot. I know it is wierd. Out west the gals wear some pretty neat boots. My favorite is the narrow 3 to 4" heels. I have a pair of Dexter's with a block 3" heel, that I wear here in Redneck country with little to no comment from the the Catapillar hat crowd. Many of the women's boots found in the western stores are almost indistinquishable from the men's styles. It seems the gals want to be more masculine looking.

Hi, Dressboots - think of your own words for a minute, if you will: "I am as much afraid of being noticed for wearing women's heeled boots in pubic..." First, who said they were "women's" heeled boots? Men wore high-heeled footwear for almost thirty years before women caught on to the fashion, and that began in the 1700's. Even then, men continued to wear high heels, up to five inches, well into the late decades of the 19th Century. Since then we've seen a brief resurgence in the 1970's, followed by a steady climb of both awareness and practice over the last decade. So I might ask you, Dressboots, what in the world might you mean by "women's" boots? If you mean "boots worn by women," then I'd have to capitulate. However, if you mean "boots worn by men," then I'd have to congratulate you on differentiating fashion from the sex in which modern fashion mavens tend to pigeonhole us all. Bottom line: If you feel like wearing heels, then by all means, wear heels! After all, men invented heels, not women. Furthermore, if you feel like wearing a skirt, then by all means, wear a skirt! After all, both men and women wore dresses and skirts for thousands of years before modern textile manufactureres made it easier and less costly to make pants. Bottom Lines: 1. There's absolutely nothing wrong with men wearing heels - after all, they invented them, and wore them first. 2. There's absolutely nothing wrong with men wearing skirts - after all, it was, and still is, the dress of choice for men throughout much of the non-Western world. 3. There's absolutely nothing wrong with men wearing a dress - after all, it's the traditional form of garb worn by both men and women since the time of Christ, and in all liklehood, by Christ himself. Anyone who argues against the preceeding three points based upon "modern" fashion standards is an absolute idiot!

geneb, I am a bit confused by your question. When a man wears an article of clothing, it beomes a man's fashion by virtue of who is wearing it. What I meant is that in order to purchase heels, other than cowboy boots, I have to purchase heels intended by the fashion industry for women, from the women's department in a shoe store or a specialty shoe shop for women. In other words the fashion industry intends for the shoe to be worn by women at least in their marketing. Advertisements say women's boots/shoes. People generally know what styles are aimed for which sex. They pick up on a fashion that was marketed to/for women. The premise of my essay was to note that there is a common thread in heeled fashion for men and women exampled by the cowboy boot. Men and women are not always so different in their awarness of fashion, if the subject is interesting. I was speaking on a personal level when I made the comment of nervousness as it is a basic fear I see expressed by many on this forum. By recognizing that heeling men are not so different from other men amy put others at greater ease. I agree with all the additonal comments you made. Fashion is a personal statement one chooses to make but here I was simply making note of a different approach/view to the subject.

classic style high heel boots

Bottom Lines:

1. There's absolutely nothing wrong with men wearing heels - after all, they invented them, and wore them first.

2. There's absolutely nothing wrong with men wearing skirts - after all, it was, and still is, the dress of choice for men throughout much of the non-Western world.

3. There's absolutely nothing wrong with men wearing a dress - after all, it's the traditional form of garb worn by both men and women since the time of Christ, and in all liklehood, by Christ himself.

Anyone who argues against the preceeding three points based upon "modern" fashion standards is an absolute idiot!

Well I've done two out of three, does that count?

Thanks I needed that, even thou I have just come in wearing 2.75" Sudini over calf boots, long skirt and sweatshirt. I was to a movie "Kinsey" go see it, really good. Then I went to a book store, and a coffee shop. I know people noticed they always do but not a comment, couple quick look up and down that I caught. I am sure that many people had a good look after I passed. Friends that have followed me through a crowd say I cause a lot of whiplash!

-- Brandy

Ahhhh! Therein lies the rub! Most of us (men wearers) want to wear our heels in public in a manner which doesn't attract attention or excite ridicule. We kinda wish to blend into the overall scene in a manner that takes extra effort to notice that we're wearing women's high heels. Granted, as one member commented on this forum, most of the negative thoughts of men in heels are in our own minds (because most people just don't care). While we all wish that society would just view our passion for wearing heels as "normal," in the same manner as men with ear rings, it's our childhood learned patterns of behavior that prevent us from taking that giant step into the sunlight wearing our black pattent 5" stiletto heeled pumps. As long as the stigma of abnormal behavior connected with the practice remains in our own mind, the self-conscious embarrasment and humilitation at the thought of causing a spectical will remain with us. That is the first hurdle that must be jumped if we're to make significant headway. The future belongs with us.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a pair of block heeled boots that are a mere 4" heel in size 12 from payless, THey are nice, but deffinitely have the "klop-klop" from the hard block heel. I just got in the mail my custom tailored jeans. They took a few weeks to get, but with a 31" waist, 35" hips and a 36" normal inseam, to cover boots I need a really long pair of jeans. These have a 39" inseam, boot cut, and low-rise. Tight in the legs, seat and upper calves, and "flare" out fro the boot-cut. Very similar to the Levi's O-spin program, but are made in Bankok, Thailand. Reletively inexpensive for a pair of tailor made jeans at $65 including shipping to me in WA state. If anyone is interested, PM me as I know not if it is alright to post an "advertisement" for a clothing maker on a boot site. Thanks, and good luck, tightlevisandhhboots

http://www.ravistailor.com/

I was a little concerned about them being outsid the US and take my $$$, but after about a month wait, I am very pleased with the results. They are fairly low-rise in the front (7 1/2") and the back is low too at only 8". The meansurements that I gave them from my Levi's 524's, they did a good job of duplicating, though they don't look like levi's, just really nice jeans. I choose their "Levi's weight denim" and it is a dark, heavy indigo blue. Can't wait to save up another $65 to order another pair. I may try a different denim this next time just to see what they have.

tightlevisandhhboots

• 1 year later...

Other than footwear guys wear a suit and tie, they will wear a nifty leather jacket, and others wear a baseball cap. They also like to be sported in a nifty expensive car. But leave out the shoes, only loafers and sneakers for men. This is more of the New Yorker way of dressing. In the west it's cowboy hats and boots. Sure, this all looks well and fine on guys but it doesn't satisfy someones fetish for high heels.