The time and place for heels

chip7X

This week I went by a shoe store and noticed some high heel sandals. One lady mentioned that such footwear was too impractical to wear ANYWHERE! The heels weren't really that high! They were maybe only 3in high with a thin, but not really a stilleto, heel. I'm wondering if she was refering to the shoe itself or maybe there's a time and place for wearing heels. Then again she probably can't even wear heels herself! Is there a time and/or place where you would never wear heels? How about a time and/or place where you gotta have your heels?

I would say it varies depending on the individual. There are some jobs you would never wear heels at, whether you are a man or a woman - and some places have a dim view on men wearing heels in the workplace. Fortunately, I don't have that problem where I work at *grin*. I would pick up the sandals if that is your preference, and then just go for it. If it makes you feel good, then that is what matters. Life is too short to worry too much about what others think.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

There's loads of places where you can't or shouldn't wear heels. Building sites, power stations, playing sport, or when you will be doing a lot of walking on soft grass or gravel (OK, I suppose you can wear wedges for that!). Other than these, I'd always wear heels at the office or to a social event etc. There's no social boundries, only practical ones.

A lot of women find even medium heels too much to walk in. Some of them have flat feet...my roommate is like that. She can stand barefoot and her arches are flat against the floor, if not even bulging out. It looks rather disturbing. But she can't wear heels and needs orthotics for flats.

The office is an ideal place for heels, and I can certainly attest to that, given I wear pumps there! I'm not much of a social animal, but I suppose that parties and similar sort of gatherings could work well too. Or, if one is bold enough, perhaps to church. Say, a nice suit with straight legged pants and pumps. I'm sure God wouldn't mind! :smile:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Wearing heels with a positive curvature under the sole is ideal to combat flat feet. I had to start wearing orthopedic soles in my flats at young ages but soon discovered moderate heels provided me the same benefit at much less cost and gave me more choices of styles. After more than 30 years on heels my feet are in excelent shape and my lower arches are very pronounced. I can harldly walk on flats anymore because I need and love my lower arches to be supported by the curves offered by a well manufactured high heeled shoe. I recommend everybody with flat feet to discard their expensive orthopedic wear and substitute some heels instead. They soon will feel the benefit and look a lot sharper as well.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Highluc on http://walk.to/highluc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Highluc on 2002-04-20 16:19 ]</font>

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

A time and a place is different for every person. Okay, so if I am climbing Mount Everest (like that would really happen) or riding a camel across the desert (same again), I do not think I would wear heels. Hiking over rough terrain, camping in the wilderness... It's not always the height, either, but the design. Don't wear open toed shoes in an area of sandy gravel. especially if it is red. I learned my lesson on that one. I was a red head then, and for one day, my feet matched. Also, sometimes a thicker heel or, for someone other than myself, a wedge, would be better than a stiletto. Life is not so simple that one can say yes or no to the idea of heels in a given situation. Each activity changes the limit and the need. For some of us here, like Inga, heels are always an option and nothing rules out wearing a five inch stiletto for a situation. Life is variety, and people who think heels are impractical are themselves dead to the greater ideals of society.

As much as I throughouly enjoy seeing women in heels... I admit I wonder why people wear them sometimes. Most often on campus at school; especially if you know you're going to spend all day walking between classes. Not that I mind when they wear heels, of course. :smile:

For some of us here, like Inga, heels are always an option and nothing rules out wearing a five inch stiletto for a situation.

I don't think we should get too carried away. Even Inga would not wear such shoes on a day out at a summer fair on soft grass or a long walk on a soaked sandy beach. Inga, if you would, then I aplogise. I'd also like to introduce you to the wet and messy shoe crowd :smile:

Hey Fox, don't blame me, Inga was the one who typed up these words... "I have not experienced a place where I can't wear heels. Hate to find one either as I almost never wear any shoe less that 5 inches. " It can be interpreted in many ways, sure, but they fit what I was typing, and they make Inga seem like super woman, so at the very least she can enjoy the status. So a big raspberry to you, Fox. :smile: heehee

Hiya all, Apologies for the sweeping statement, I do enjoy the super woman status anyhow. I was probably thinking a bit on the narrow side. Truth is I don't wear HH all the time, for example I go cycling every weekend, I'm sort of pretty keen and do 100 kilometre rides with a group. At the beach I go bare footed or in trainers. (I have one pair) However I ALWAYS wear HH when I'm going out to a restuarant for example and to work, these activities don't involve crossing muddy fields and alike. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Just some random thoughts about this. I think that any urban situation is suited to high heels. After all, we're in a city with paved roads, actual sidewalks, and buildings where at least we expect everything will be smooth and easy for a walk. And if there are some cracks or an obstacle to navigate, we can manage. Yes, cobblestones, and yes, ice and snow, but in a modern North American city, I would say heels can be worn all of the time, even extreme heels if the wearer is proficient. Just some thoughts on a snowy afternoon.

Laurieheels wrote:

"in a modern North American city, I would say heels can be worn all of the time"

add to that European, Australia and New Zealand for starters.

Here an example of the terrain in Melbourne, as you see it's pretty good for walking in HH.

Posted Image

Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

On 2002-04-29 20:29, Anonymous wrote:

I have been to Australia (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide). I must say, the cement pavements are very well laid and very suitable for walking in heels. If you don't like taking the steps, you can opt for the gradual incline pavements for wheelchair access... I used that a lot when I was there. :smile:

Sorry again. This post is actually from me.. :smile:

Cheers,

Nata

The inclines are ok on the way up, but I much prefer to use the steps on the way down when wearing any serious heel.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence