Saw a guy wearing high heels today...

Mickey S.

Hopefully he's reading along and understands English... Today I drove Dresden (my hometown) and while cruising "Tharandter Straße", around 3.15pm, I noticed a guy wearing like 3" .. 4" heels quite visible. He walked down the road, heading Freital. Sorry folks, that all doesn't mean much to most of you but if the one I've seen reads this, he'll probably know. Male attire, male (short) haircut, 'male moving' (just regular, not gay), dark clothing - it appeared like that against a snowy-white background - but pretty obvious he wore high heels (from the 'casual'-, meaning not the fetish-stuff-shelf), just a coordinated appearance. Unfortunately, I couldn't stop for a second because some other cars were right behind me so I would have caused a crash stepping on the breaks like in an emergency-stop. I went on, turned around next intersection, but when I was back at the point where I'd seen him a minute ago, he was gone. Too bad. I'd like to have talked to him for a minute... CU! -Mike

The thing is there's so many guys around here telling that they go street-heeling, but where are they? I've been to the places where they said that they were there and would be there again some time but I haven't seen anybody except yesterday for the first time... Do I have to change specs? CU! -Mike

In the end it is just a matter of statistics. I probably know (by face) at least a few hundred people in the Boston area, but except for the people in my own little twon, I never run into anyone I know. If we assume that less than one in 100,000 men would wear boots outside (that would still make it a 1000 or so in the US alone, which is much more than we get on this board), we are unlikely to run into anyone of them, unless we do activities that are strongly correlated (like going into shoe stores). Actually, this would make for a great math exercise. if we could get some statistics on how may men we observe in heels on the street (randomly, so not in a heel meet), I could probably make some estimate of how which fraction of men in the world wear heels outside.

The only one I've actually seen on the street was in London in July 2000 at Covent Garden Market. Long pants, blade heels of only 3 in. or so. Walked by so fast I didn't really get a good look. The wife and I remarked on it but didn't pay a lot of attention.

Most of the guys I've seen in heels are fully crossdressed obvious TVs. Seldom see guys dressed in otherwise male mode, wearing fem heels. In some ways it's probably "easier" to go the full CD route, than the male clothing/female heels route. Our society is conditioned to expect and emulate only 1 of 2 distinct modes. Either all female or all male. It's actually harder to occupy the grey, instead of just black or white spectrum. That's ironic, since many of us have both male and female characteristics, in varying degrees, in our being.

Most of the (few) guys, I've seen over the years, have been either at self-serve shoe stores, particularly Nordstrom Rack, thrift (2nd hand) stores, or more likely general street areas like L.A. or San Francisco. The guys is full CD mode wear fem heels. Some of them badly need style and makeup lessons. Of course, the really good ones, just pass for female. The guys in male clothing mode tend to be wearing unisex sandels, shoes or block heel boots. The male mode guys with the moderate footwear usually look more appropriate, to me, and just mostly blend in. Not sure I'd even notice the male mode-moderate footwear guys, if I weren't in the same type mode.

I think I've seen bloke in heels (admittedly they can't have been more than an inch and half, maybe 2 inches) on the Tube. They were brown ankle boots and he wore them under camel-coloured jeans. This was a few years ago and I can't remember much more than that - by process of elimination it would have been on the Central Line between Mile End and Leytonstone. Otherwise it's only been CDs or exceedingly camp guys (and let's face it, people do use the "Oh, it's alright, he's gay" mode of reason to deal with that sort of conflict). I've probably seen heel-wearing guys in Camden and just not paid attention, but that bubbles down to the "This is Camden, they're allowed to be weird" mode of reason - a guy walked past me wearing a corset that pulled his waist in so much that it can't have been more than 20 inches round, and I didn't notice until my cousin told me to look at the 'wasp guy'. (NB. by 'weird' I mean 'against societal norms', and I'm being my unfortunately rather blunt self, I don't mean to insult anyone.) But I digress. Perhaps you just don't see them because they've got the art of keeping it subtle?

If you are too open-minded your brains will fall out.

Sightings of men in heels:

7 train station: see a guy wearing what looks like a brown fur coat, talking on a cell phone, wearing black heeled loafers with black pants. The heels were fully exposed and he was non-chalant. So non-chalant that my girlfriend who was with me didn't even notice.

MacDougal street: see a guy wearing all black, straight leg pants, wearing about 3" black block heels. Notice no reaction coming from fellow onlookers.

23 Street in Chelsea: see two guys crossing the street both wearing block heels. No reaction. They were dressed normaly with jeans and oxford shirts.

2d Ave: see a guy wearing light blue jeans and a white oxford shirt untucked with a florida type summer hat on top. I think he was aiming at mod, but the hat made him seem to rural IMHO.

I think if your whole outfit compliments your heels, then you are more apt to blend in with the rest of the crowd. As eunhasoo999, a femme member of thefashionspot.com wrote,

Nov 15 2004, 09:04 PM Post #17

Rising Star

Group: Members

Member No.: 7,027

last year i saw a SA in banana republic... he was wearing heels. not cowboy heels, but heels that were made for women. he was dressed extremely well - i doubt that anyone could pull it off, but for him, it worked pretty nicely. and the heels were perfectly complementing his outfit. aesthetically it looked perfectly OK, but i couldnt stop staring at him i guess it was weird for me bc ive never seen guys wearing heels. but he looked good in them so thats all it matters

Jackson Heights, Queens: see a guy strutting down 37th Ave with heels on. His confidence was radiating. He had on a stylish 3/4 length coat in black, black pants, and the heels (3" slanted, block) were fully exposed. There were no obvious looks from other people walking by either.

There are probably more sightings than I can recall at the present moment of men in heels, but I have also seen many men in women's shoes too. In a city of over 8 million people though, I'm sure the practice is more abundant than my limited sightings can prove.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 1 month later...

Spotted one today. 11 am at the petrol pumps in Asda, Dagenham. Wore very long jeans to hide the heels, but as he turned I saw them. They were brown leather with (I think) blade heels, and blue stonewash jeans. Was it a member of this site? I know there's a few members from London here. If it was anyone I apologise for staring, I was trying to work out if they were heels or whether I was just being paranoid!

Turn up at one of the heel meets in the UK and you'll see quite a few! Apart from that, I reckon I've seen 15 or so in the last few years. Not counting the trannies of course. Quite a few have been in Camden. As I often look at feet in the street I imagine I'd see more than most.

I think I've seen bloke in heels (admittedly they can't have been more than an inch and half, maybe 2 inches) on the Tube. They were brown ankle boots and he wore them under camel-coloured jeans. This was a few years ago and I can't remember much more than that - by process of elimination it would have been on the Central Line between Mile End and Leytonstone.

Could have been me....

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

You at the petrol pumps or you on the train? Well, in either case, hello Dr. Shoe. I just had a quick look to see if I could find a picture of you, and the guy did look similar - although I only glanced at his face quickly, realised he'd seen me staring at his feet and looked away guiltily. Oh well, nice to kind of maybe put a face to a name! I no longer live near that Asda, I've moved to Reading, but my family still live just down the A13 from it (a mile at most). I used to work at the McDonalds in the leisure park opposite (for 2 years, sadly).

• 1 month later...

I used to see one guy in Bournemouth (South - UK) wearing stiletto and cowgirl heels EVERY DAY! :oops: He was my boyfriend at the time!!! :):o

Well, not counting my own reflection, I've yet to see other men wearing heels. At least not between 9 and 5! And I'm not a night owl, so I'm home in front of the TV every evening. Just unlucky I guess!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

In the end it is just a matter of statistics. I probably know (by face) at least a few hundred people in the Boston area, but except for the people in my own little twon, I never run into anyone I know. If we assume that less than one in 100,000 men would wear boots outside (that would still make it a 1000 or so in the US alone, which is much more than we get on this board), we are unlikely to run into anyone of them, unless we do activities that are strongly correlated (like going into shoe stores).

Actually, this would make for a great math exercise. if we could get some statistics on how may men we observe in heels on the street (randomly, so not in a heel meet), I could probably make some estimate of how which fraction of men in the world wear heels outside.

Hi loveheel,

still a comment about statistics:

in german Ebay there are every week about 400 offers for heels with size EU 44 and bigger (~ US 13 and above). At least 50 % are sold successfully. Hence only by Ebay auctions 10 000 pairs per year. My experience tells me that the big majority are male buyers. But there is an undetectable quantity of bidders in size 39 to 43. Besides there are a lot of commercial internetshops and thousands of usual shoe shops (suitable for guys with smaller foot size). I suppose that the reality approaches to much more than 100 000 pairs of high heels bought per year by guys in Germany. Ok, there may be a lot of multiple buyers similar like the girls :P

My conjecture: At least several 100 000s of the male inhabitants of Germany are proud or shy owners of high heels. I'm convinced that this is a very careful estimation. Extrapolated to the USA (in Germany 80 mio inhabitants versus 280 mio Americans (?)) there must be at least half a million or more heels owners in the United States!

Now coming to the crucial point: The big majority dares only wearing heels in secret, in many cases even the wife doesn't know about it. And if the guys should dare an outdoor performance, it would take place late in the night on empty streets, in an industrial area or in a forest. No wonder, that the hundred thousands are shrinking to a small minority of only some thousands.

In consequence of this phenomenon the statististical chance of meeting a guy on heels at a sunday walk in an arbitrary shopping mall is nearly zero.

Not whole-hearted in the west of Frankfurt but you should know my favourite shopping times :P

It' s simply necessary to meet in room AND time.

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

i have seen a few guys in cowboy boots, but thats like a heel height of only 2" which ain't much. i have yet to see a guy in amy other kind of heel, apart from at heel meets of course. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

I agree with most of the previous posts, I haven't seen any other men in heels except for one guy wearing a pair of suede boots with 4" heels in a video tape store. He seem to be care free and went about business as normal. This society is so uptight about men wearing womens shoes when there is so many other pressing problems in life, especially where I live in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. where most everybody seems uptight. I say wear what you want to wear and do what you want to do.

I was on Frenchmen St. in the French Quarter today - some of the best live music ever is played in the bars that line this street. But that was only the second-best part of the evening. There was a guy wearing a grass skirt and some heels out on the street reveling, his size couldn't have been very high because the shoes were sorta feminine. I wanted SO BADLY to be in that position...