STREET SHOTS- ARE THEY ETHICAL?

Seems like every which way you turn in the UK these days you are on some kind of camera or other so i don't see too much wrong with capturing a tasteful or complementary image of the person.I do draw the line at showing the persons face or capturing them in an undignified position.Take your pics by all means guys but please think about the person who you are snapping.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't like the idea of streetshots, it gives the HHplace a voyeuristic overtone. A lot has been said of cctv images, but they are shortlived usually as the tapes are recycled to record another days filming, and under UK law you can request a copy of the data or images held by the camera owner. Also if you are out in public briefly for whatever reason, once it is over your image isn't hanging around forever more unles someone takes a picture and posts it. I'd like to think if I went out wearing something unusual then once I took it off it was over. That's not the case with streetshots put online.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Just to confirm, I'm posting here, because the other thread is closed, and we were directed here for comments on 'street shots' which is only halfway pertinent. But I'll try to cope ...... :o

Genocide isn't nice.

Fascism isn't nice.

Starvation isn't nice

Cancer, isn't nice.

In the great scheme of things, taking photo's of people without first asking, is fairly low grade. In the UK at least, it happens around 300 times a day (reportedly) and most don't give it a second thought anyway. What's the big deal?

The 'big deal' might be that the image, my image, your image, is used in some defamitory way. If it is, you have legal recourse. If it isn't, what have you got to worry about? You don't have 'copyright' on your face, so get used to it.

If taking a photo, ESPECIALLY of someone who is complicit (knowing you are going to publish those photo's on eBay for example), you only need worry if the person modelling is shown in a way that might lose them income or reputation.

Q: Does this activity affect how the site is seen by those who are not active participants?

A: How could we know? :-?

Best guess is that most readers are here to indulge in their interest: high-heels. Most are not likely to be judgemental. Step forward the perfect person.....

If a member here posts a recognisable picture of someone in the street, and the image is unflattering (for whatever reason) the site Admin's had better alter or amend that image. They are the publishers, and are first in the queue for legal action. [so be wary of this if you post this sort of image.]

More typical of the images posted (as I see it) are those of feet and heels. Unless there is a demonstrable connecton with the shoe wearer, the image is about as anonamous as it's possible to get. Could these be "harmful" to the wearer? No way that I can see.

People dress well, to feel good, and to impress others. A strange way of expressing it, but they basically "publish" their own style statement. And that word "publish" is quite a strong word, because it means it's there for everyone to see.

I see the 'ethical' question about HH street-shots as pertinent as "Ice-cream, eat or not?"

It just doesn't matter. :cool1:

Best guess is that most readers are here to indulge in their interest: high-heels. Most are not likely to be judgemental. Step forward the perfect person.....

If people aren't being judgemental, then there would be no discussions here. Someone would post something, no one would have an opinion (or judgement) on it and we'd all wait for something else to be posted.

Fortunately most of the posters of streetshots are discreet here, and the conversations mostly concentrate on the heels. I still maintain my view that this would seem somewhat creepy to an outsider looking in on this site and seeing men discussing pictures of women in heels taken without their knowledge.

In the grand scheme of things it is a very small drop in a large ocean, and the above is just my opinion. I once heard a quote which I think everyone should bear in mind when entering a discussion, "There is no right or wrong, just opinions".

I think it depends on how the pics was taken and shown here. I recently took a pic of a beautiful set of heels on a lady at my son's B-ball game. I made it a point to only shoot my main focus...her shoes, and only show as such. Noone would ever know who she was. Now, if someone took a pic, and posted the entire identifying pics without permission, especially in a bad light, then it might not be ethical. But, you go out in public, you risk being seen, video'd, picced, etc.

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

If people aren't being judgemental, then there would be no discussions here.

Judgemental of each other? Where?

I wouldn't describe expressing opinions on style/fashion/heel height as being judgemental (which may be the way you are using the term). I suppose an opinion has to have involved a decision, but I think it fair to say it would be unusual to describe it as a judgement?

For example:

If I like blue shoes, and someone else says they like red ones, that's a difference of opinion. [And usually quite an amicable arrangement.]

If I like blue shoes, and someone says I'm an idiot for liking blue shoes, that's a personal attack on me, my life, and everything in it that led to me liking blue shoes. I'd be interested in hearing someone try to justify (i) how they had arrived at being in the [self] righteous position of being my critic, and (ii) why they believed their opinion had greater value than mine.

This forum is very supportive of it's membership. [We support each other.] If a member looks to be veering toward a catastrophy of some sort, I expect the membership would help guide the member to a better path. I've seen it a number of times, and even benefited from some of these learning experiences myself.

The last thing I expect to see, (and the last thing I want to see), is someone who has made a questionable decison being criticised for making the decision. I expect (and want) them to be gently advised of the better path. No-one here deserves to be 'scolded' the way an errant child might be. We're largely adults here (18+) and in most face to face situations, someone telling me I'm an idiot is looking to start a fist-fight.

You may not agree with me taking street-shots of heels. But I expect you to respect my decision to do it. I don't at all mind if you try to convince me it's a bad thing (ie try to guide me to sharing you opinion), but I should be allowed to make my mistakes (if they are indeed mistakes) until such time as "life" teaches me otherwise. You criticising me because I don't agree your position, would be a completely intolerable situation and produce confrontations on a daily basis if not hourly basis.

I still maintain my view that this would seem somewhat creepy to an outsider looking in on this site and seeing men discussing pictures of women in heels taken without their knowledge.

I recognise your concerns, but any 'outsider' reading posts on this Forum, is quite likely going to have formed that kind of opinion anyway. There isn't a normal range of subjects discussed here. There is some segregation between sexes that everyone understands is there to protect the women members from the male members. On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being high) how would you then rate the 'automatic' creepiness rating of the male membership here? Is less than 10 possible?

Since I like the idea of 'snapping' people in the street wearing interesting attire, we could never agree on the moral right/wrong of the issue. But I can assure you, I don't consider you an idiot for having your opinion, nor could I. Who the heck am I to make such a judgement?

Judgemental of each other? Where?

I never mentioned judgemental of each other and nor did your original post. We are making judgements on each others shoes, so we agree there :-?

Judgement isn't merely criticism of something, and needn't be a strong disagreement. We exercise judgement to form an opinion.

Semantics aside we can agree to disagree on the ethics of street shots.

There are a lot of things I find do not fit in with my view of the world from an ethical stance, but I do live and let live. For the record I don't smoke, but would defend the right of a smoker to do it, and have done on occasions. I don't like the streetshots section and leave it alone, I would hate to find myself on a website without being asked so I would give others the same respect.

I wouldn't presume to change someones mind on anything be it religion, politics or streetshots on websites. I don't have the naiivety to think that any opinion I have is right for anyone else, it is just my opinion from my own prejudices and beliefs. You are all welcome to read them though :cool1:

As for the creepiness factor of everyone here, I haven't met all of them yet, but all of those I have is a very normal guy :o

As for normalcy, what is normal? We are all individuals and all have different ideas of how the world should be, and what constitutes normal. In an ideal world we could all do as we wanted as long as it harmed nobody else, or affected their lives, but that's just not going to happen.

• 1 month later...

Of all the subject material you have to choose from, why take a picture of a stranger? Do you not have the guts to show a picture of yourself? Or to at least ask the permission of the girl? The act of taking the photo is as questionable as posting it on the web.

So what if she's a pretty girl wearing pretty shoes. This just shows the extent of your obsession/perversion, and how little respect you have for women.

And for this many to question the ethics of 'Street Shots' (and that's just out of the members here), should be enough cause for concern. After all, what else has anyone questioned the ethics of on this forum?

I disagree with your whole statement, Lindsey.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 4 weeks later...

You know I've seen the term creepy used quite loosely in this thread and subsequently do not consider myself the latter. If you see a woman who is on the street in absolutely stunning footwear that is obviously grabbing everybody's attention....she knows it!!! Now here's the catch 22. If you really feel the need to (or want to) take a photo. Approach her and pay her a compliment. Talk to her with confidence and intelligence. Make her feel good, and smile.....Treat her like a person and not an object. She should feel proud to model off her stilettos for you. Hell you'd probably make her day!:winkiss: Its not creepy, the media makes it look corny or creepy in obnoxious character comedy movies and such.