What A Difference An Inch Makes!

JeffB

Well, the five heeled pumps I won via eBay arrived on Saturday, and here they are:

Posted Image

Quite pretty and sleek, huh? Most definitely! But was I ever in for a surprise when I put them on! The fit was comfortable, no problem there, but the height of the heels (5 1/4 when measured from the back) was more than I expected, and I actually had a wee bit of trouble walking in them. For someone long used to four inchers, these shoes proved to be a chore to navigate in! I don't mind publically admitting that.

I felt like I was 13 again and walking in heels for the very first time. Maintaining my balance wasn't the broblem, rather it was trying to establish a regular gait that proved rather laborious because of the heel height. Needless to say, I'll have to practice for quite a while before I even think about wearing those shoes in public!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

That's true. I can walk quite easily in my 4.5" stilettos, but my 5.25s are a lot harder. One of the reasons I don't wear them often is that I quite like the fact that they recall my first time trying on high heels. I also notice a big difference if I wear 4" for a while and then change into 4.5". Chris

Yes, when approaching the limit of one's individual maximum, even 1/2" makes a huge difference, let alone an inch! I usually attend our Heel-Meets in 5" heels (sometimes block, sometime stiletto), but my 5 1/2" ankle boots take a lot more effort to walk in, even though I once passed a challenge I set myself to walk the entire length of Oxford Street (London's very long busiest shopping street) in my 5 1/2" slim-stack-heeled ankle boots with my jeans tucked into the tops. It wasn't easy! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I had no idea that anything over five inches can make something as simple as walking so arduous! But, I'm determined to give it the old college try and do my best to make it work! :-?

Hi Jeff There is a word that describes you, it starts with W and ends with Y I say this because I have not seen any of our girls complain about going from 4 inch to 5 inch heels and they all have feet smaller than yours. Maybe there is some thing in this idea that women were made to wear high heels and men were not and hence they are womens shoes after all. :-? JeffM

I feel that so much depends on the type of shoe, even on my mood. Some days I walk comfortably in 4.5" sandals, and other days I feel too clumsy in them and just don't want to bother. Then just switching to 3.5" or 4" feels perfect. In the end that is what it is about. Wear shoes that you feel good about.

Hi Jeff

There is a word that describes you, it starts with W and ends with Y

I say this because I have not seen any of our girls complain about going from 4 inch to 5 inch heels and they all have feet smaller than yours.

Maybe there is some thing in this idea that women were made to wear high heels and men were not and hence they are womens shoes after all. :-?

JeffM

Perhaps! Perhaps! And if the word in question is "wussy", hey, I'll wear that label. Lord knows I've been called much, MUCH worse in my 45 years on this rock! :D

The first pair of 5" heels I ever bought were black pumps with 5" stiletto heels from Wild Pair. The first time I put them on and stood up, I almose fell off of them. That was more than 15 years and about 15 pairs of 5" heels ago. My wife constantly tells me that I could run a marathon while wearing 5" heels. However, I never wear them in public. While there are some heels in my collection she doesn't have a problem with my wearing in bublic, she draws the line at some of the more obvious female styles, like pumps and stiletto heels. It's her wish that I not wear them in public. And, I abide by her wish.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

JeffM:-) I'm glad that both you and JeffB are taking all this in stride and with a bit of a fun jab at each other. I myself, have noticed the day to day changes when wearing different heel heights. One day I may have on 3½" heels and the next day 4" heels, and maybe 3¼" heels the day after. Also with me it depends on the weather, the condition of my joints, and how long I have been on my feet and If my legs are tired or fresh. This is one reason why I wear heels daily switching heel heights from day to day and all this is determined by my daily activities and what out-fit I may be co-ordinating with. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Folks, I made this experince: Wearing 4" is piece of cake. As for the 5" I feel the same way like JeffB (I have a pair of them as well) BUT when it comes to 5.5" and 6" I somehow find it a lot easier to manage those than the 5". Any ideas? CU! -Mike

i must have a larger upper limit than you jeff. ive had no movement probs with upto 5in, but as sais eveb half inch when aroaching limits makes the difference. i can walk in my 5.5in boots, but i still have a little knee bend and have to take much smaller more careful steps daz

Those look an awful lot like the Jante 8887 5-inchers I have. I also measured the heel height on my Jantes at 5.25 inches. Having remembered how tight my first pair of 5-inchers felt from Frederick's, I bought one pair in size 11 and one pair in size 12. No problems walking in them, although even the 11s have a bit of play to the point where my heels pop out. I've been wearing my Pleasers exclusively since I got them three weeks ago - mainly because they stay on my feet, or should I say my feet stay in them, when walking. With a little practice, you'll be walking in them just fine in no time.:-?

Black 5-inch stilettos - the only way to go!

JeffM:-)

I'm glad that both you and JeffB are taking all this in stride and with a bit of a fun jab at each other.

Well, if you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at? :-?

As for the five-PLUS inchers (I remeasured and it's five and a half!!!), it's gonna take some practice before I get used to them. But hey, I like a challenge! :D

yes Dawn HH i agree. in fact because he wears them so often, he will be better than me in probably no time :-?. I just meant my natural flexibility enabled me to not struggle with that height. I would say go for it and enjoy it. most women wouldnt go for something that high, mostly because they go for heels for fashion reasons and mostly try and compromise comfort in with that. 5in would probably be high than most people would want for everyday walking about. Personally I probably wouldnt enjoy the 5in so much because of the way they limit your movement. For a days wear i wouldnt be looking at much over the 4.5in daz

JeffB:-) I have always said that if you can't laugh at yourself, you are in trouble. I'm like you Jeff, I have always liked a good challenge. Go to it with the 5½" heels and I know that with time you will master them, and I will be happy for you when you do. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!