Wearing Classic Pumps Outside or to Work

HighHeelPumps

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this post, but I'm going to do it anyway. Just like others here, I enjoy wearing women's shoes for a number of reasons. They feel good on my feet, they make me feel more confident, etc. However, I just don't agree with a lot of people in here that think boots with a heel on them qualify as women's shoes. They look just like a cowboy boot (of which I have many pairs) with a higher heel. I don't see any problem with wearing anything that looks like that, especially since they already look very close to what some men wear already (albeit without the heel). And platform shoes were worn all the time by men in the 70s, so I just don't see them as 'female' shoes... Not to mention they are ugly as sin, (but that's another story) and I know that a lot of people disagree with that, but we all have our preferences.. and I respect other's likes and dislikes... What I'm asking about is much more 'feminine' than what 99% of the men in this forum wear. I'm asking about wearing classic pumps outside and to work. Has anyone done this? What were the reponses like? I ask this because I'm planning on wearing a pair of 2.5" black fake suede pumps to work tomorrow. Normally, I wear 4" and 5" pumps at home, but I know that wearing those heights will REALLY bring attention to me. I've worn these shoes outside, but never really to any kind a of place with more than one or two people. Please let me know what you think... HighHeelPumps

WEll, I admire your courage. I have lots of pairs of true stilettos, including the classic pumps (who here remembers Faith's Gina/Tina range??), but I wouldn't wear them out & about. Boots with thicker - though still 4" - heels are OK I think. Or is this just another way that we - men - are limiting the range of footwear available to us??

Shoes have no gender as TG says. They are what you make of them. However, most women who wear thin high heels are relatively slim. I you have a 200 lb frame then forget thin heels for the purposes of looking good. By all means wear them, but if you have the body style to carry them of better it makes much more sense to wear them. I've certainly worn Gina/Tina with a suit in the past, there's no reson why you shouldn't. I prefer boots though. They are easier to wear, it in better with my image, and they look good on me IMHO.

I have been wearing pumps in the open since years and find them extremely comfortable and airy. I usually wear dark socks with them so they don't attract too much attention. On the old chat board there are at least 2 guys using pumps on a regular basis for work so you'll have to update your last post, 99% is outdated. Although I sometimes wear thinner heels my preferred ones are almost 4 inches on a rather elegant block heel (see pic below). Some of the guys on this board have seen me in them walking all day in Rotterdam and London, and the ones who tried them agreed these felt as comfy as home slippers.

Posted Image

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Highluc: The pumps I'll be wearing tomorrow don't have a block heel.. I understand your tastes, but to me, it isn't a pump unless it has a thin heel.. I personally don't like any type of block heel at all, or even the blade heels because it is just too blocky.. In my opinion (which I know is different from everyone elses), if I wanted to wear a block heel, I'd wear a cowboy boot. HighHeelPumps

Hey firefox, so not only do I have to drop my penny, I also have to lose weight too! Seriouly, I agree with you. It's the way that you wear any clothes, and how they fit with they way you are, that matters. That's why people stare and comment at 60 year olds (m&f) who wear teenage clothes, or people of more "generous proportions" who squeeze themselves into more restrictive clothing. Ditto men in heels. If you've got the figure & (lack of height) to wear 4" thin heels, then lucky you. If not, maybe go for the thicker styles, and boots always seem more androgynous.

Hello everyone, I have to agree with the original sender of this message. It is the traditional pumps with a thin heel that are sexy and so controversial to wear at work. I would like to post photos of me wearing heels but I don't konw how. Can anyone help?

I have found that the thicker heels complement my build better, so I think I'll stick to those. I do have a pair of 4" heeled boots that I wear sometimes, but they are black leather, which is most comfy. Each to his/her own in this wide new world!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

We need to get JeffB into this conversation. He's the foremost expert at wearing pumps (yeah the "real" thing) to work and out and about. I think they'ed look silly on me, (I'm not fat at all, but just don't like the ultra thin heels) but I'd consider a pair like Highluc pictured. Those are the best looking pumps I've ever seen. Love the heel design on those! Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

Charly, thanks for the compliment.

To some other guys here: Although I'd love to wear some thin heels as well I'm realistic in this business. I'm now 51 years old and like a coordinated acceptable look (even on 4-inch heels). I never felt the need to project a "sexy look" and only wear my stiletto heels to restaurants when the light has faded, I wear for heels for my own pleasure, not to attract attention, provoke or shock people. Pumps are very comfortable due to their design (especially when you have high upper arches) and thinner lower heels are sometimes very enjoyable and challenging. On a high heel your weight is on the ball of your feet and your heel is just in an elevated position. On lower thinner heels much more of your weight rests on the heel and when that isn't offering a large stable footprint it can offer you some challenges and feelings people who only wore flats and high heels havn't discovered yet. Height and shape isn't everything, this is what's so wonderfull in the endless offerings in the ladies department. Too many guys only focus on high stilettos and pass all the other nice things. Let's talk again after a few years, when the initial excitement diminushes and true sensations gets noted.

Posted Image

Definitely not sexy, but fun to wear.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Highluc on http://walk.to/highluc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Highluc on 2002-04-10 02:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Highluc on 2002-04-10 02:57 ]</font>

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Ditto to what Hiluc says on that. Back in my teens when I didn't wear heels outside my attention focused on the high 4 or 5" classic pump designs. However, having become a regular wearer of heeled styles in normal life, I have come to appreciate all of the other styles too. The fact is there is a lot of choice in heeled styles and stiletto pumps don't go with all outfits or all body shapes as well as some other styles do. How many women do you see wearing 5" pumps every day or even some days? Practically zero; 1 in 5000. The girls who post on this board are complete exceptions. The reason is that these pumps are not the most practical shoes for all activities. They may be objects of desire, but wearing them every day is a different matter. There's a difference between desire and actual practice. Good luck with wearing them. I think they can suit guys under certain circumstances, just as they can suit women under certain circumstances too.

Well.. I've had them on for 5 hours now and no one has said anything. I asked my boss what he thought, and he just said that under the dress code for our company, I was dressed fine. He did, however, ask how I was able to walk in them. I just told him "one step at a time". I couldn't decide at that moment if I wanted to tell him that I have been wearing heels for the better part of 10 years. I'm trying to locate a digital camera to take a picture of myself today. I'll post a picture if I can find one. HighHeelPumps

Nice move hhpumps. That's the amazing thing, you can wear what shoes you like and hardly anybody gives a toss. People just wont believe me though. I must have had a hundred people or more email me with the same sense of disbelief over the years. They never really find out till they actually try though, if they ever do. It's quite sad really, I've almost given up trying to tell people to get on with it.

I just wanted to mention that I have been talking with a couple of the ladies that work here. They don't seem to mind. They asked me the usual questions (are you a crossdresser, are you gay, etc.), but after a 20 minute discussion, they are okay with it. They seem to think that if they have to suffer through high heels, then so should everyone. I just agreed with this and smiled. They asked if I had any higher, which I do (4 to 5 inches), but I told them that I would not be coming in tomorrow with them on. I let them know that I wanted to do this in small steps so that basically everyone here could get used to it. I didn't want to come in tomorrow with my 5" ankle strap stilettos and strut around (which, by the way, I have no problem walking briskly in.. have been wearing for almost 3 years now). I don't want to piss off management to the point where they fire me because I am a disruption to the environment. The good news, however, is that one of these lovely ladies wears the same size as me, width and length. She said that I could borrow any of her shoes anytime I wanted to.. as long as I wear them to work. HighHeelPumps

Yeah, they are about 2.5 to 3 inches.. don't really have anything to measure it with either.. just judging it.. I will probably wear the same size heels for a while (read a month or two). I have about 14 different pairs, so it shouldn't be a problem.. but I'm going to wait until next week to wear heels at work again.. I want to ease everyone into it.. HighHeelPumps PS. Forgot to mention.. These are the largest heel as far as the width that I own.. All my other shoes have thinner heels. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HighHeelPumps on 2002-04-10 21:39 ]</font>

To Polishuser2002, yes they are fun, no I don't think they are sexy, I'm retired so can't use them for work. I rarely wear them because I prefer the 4-inchers in the first picture. I got those lower ones from my wife for my fathers day present more than a decade ago. They are the official Belgian Armed Forces dress pumps (for the ladies) and are real leather Quite a few military girls had ankle problems during the annual 21st of july parade marching on the ancient cobblestones in front of our Royal Palace.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Highluc on http://walk.to/highluc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Highluc on 2002-04-10 23:23 ]</font>

Yer left! (wobble wobble) Yer left! (wobble wobble) Yer left right left! (stumble wobble) That must've been excrutiating for them doing that!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Hiya, gang! Just thought I'd throw in my two cents (devalued after inflation) on this topic! For a male to wear standard pumps to the office is perhaps the boldest step possible, and I should know since I've done it. Block heels are one thing, but stilettos are quite another. Again, it depends upon one's own taste and how he thinks he'd be accepted. I've been wearing practically nothing but pumps to work for a couple of months now, I've stuck to conservative styles, (black nothing over three inches) and I've been accepted for what I choose to wear. Co-workers did the occasional double take, which I expected, but no one's gone screaming to the boss about my being a pervert. Hell, one of the upper brass, a classy lady even complimented me on my shoes once! A couple of female co-workers even complained of being jealous of my shoes! Everyone at the office knows I've been wearing women's shoes in general and pumps in particular and no one's raised a stink. By being tasteful instead of extravagant, I've managed to make this work. Wearing pumps to work (and now I can't envision wearing anything else!) can be done if you do it right!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I understand what you are talking about JeffB. I've noticed from a pic or two on the old board that your pumps have a block heel.. I personally don't like that look. The pictures I posted in this thread have the thickest heel I own. Everything else I own other than those have a thin heel. I'm talking about wearing a true stiletto heel at work.. Now, maybe not 5", but like a 3" or 4" heel. Here is a picture of the shoes I will be wearing next week at work. They are Black Patent Leather 4" stiletto pumps with a single ankle strap bought on sale from Fredericks of Hollywood.

Posted Image

Yesterday, I was talking to a couple women here at work about them and they all seem very eager to see me in them. I spoke to my boss, and he basically said "You could wear a dress for all I care.. You get all your work done on time, and I get to bill the customers." Now, I won't be wearing a dress anytime soon. I'm not really into crossdressing, but I do wear stockings with a garter belt when I wear my pumps because it makes my legs feel very good. But it is good to know that both my boss doesn't care what I wear and that he feels more than content with my work..

I'll probably wear those shoes next tuesday or wednesday. Depends on whether I have any meetings with customers. It's one thing to wear them at work, but I don't feel I should be showing them off to any current or potential customers yet. Society is too narrow minded to accept that just yet.

HighHeelPumps

Hello, HHP! So, my reputation, such as it is preceeds me! :smile: At a rather considerable 13 wide, my choices in shoes are somewhat limited, but that doesn't stop me from searching. I'm happy just to find what I find. Those pumps you displayed in your last post are quite stylish. At the office, what I wear on my feet isn't an issue with my superiors, especially since we don't come in contact with the public, so that's never been a problem. My co-workers are often impressed with the shoes I wear, one lady said I look very stylish in my pumps. Compliments like those make everything worthwhile! For the record, i also wear hosiery with my pumps. Anything else just wouldn't do! :smile:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

highheelpumps - i have a pair exactly like them and also have bought by s/o a pair of them. both are black patent, my favorite. however, they do not have any padding in them and after a while they hurt my feet. i do like the heel being set back a little farther. but i also think i broke a heel in half on mine. it feels very week in the middle. maybe from stepping on a walnut in my driveway. i do like wearing stiletto classic pumps but could not wear them to work. i work for a truck line and also a large farmer. not really the type of footwear to be climbing ladders and walking around in plowed fields. walking in the grass in my back yard is bad enough and only with my heels that are just about worn out.

patent leather and classic high heel pumps area.

• 6 years later...

While being in the public eye delivering products, it would be impractical for me to wear heels of some height. Wearing ballerina flats or Mary Janes with .5" to .75" heels could be possible, if my boss would agree to let me. However, due to public opinion, our customers would probably go elsewhere and then I'd still be forced to look for another job anyway, because of nothing to do. Besides, getting in and out of a box truck and transporting products in heels with the heights greater than 1.5" would require a lot of special attention being careful not to become injured. This would take more time than needed to normally complete the job, which would cause me to be less productive. When I am hired on for any job, I want to do the best I can, so the business can be as profitable as legally and competively possible. Time to find a job that will be more accessible to male heeling. Any suggestions or possibilities known? I'd be willing to relocate after the winter season is over, if the economy is still up enough to afford such a move.

If you want to move into another job I would advise that you go to an area with a laid back attitude and hit town wearing heels. Go to all your job interviews wearing heels and eventually you will find somewhere that is cool with it. How about alternative clothing shops and cafes somewhere like SanFrancisco? Go and check them out before you decide what to do. You'll be happier in the long run if you make the jump with both feet. Regards, Ben

Time to find a job that will be more accessible to male heeling. Any suggestions or possibilities known? I'd be willing to relocate after the winter season is over, if the economy is still up enough to afford such a move.

Hey, look around. I think the winter season is over. (It is where I live, anyway. ) Finding a job that would allow you to wear heels while at work surely would depend upon what you are qualified to do. I don't believe it would be wise to appear in a hiring line at a construction site wearing 5" stiletto heels. if you have a marketable profession, wouldn't it be better to find a job in an office, wouldn''t it?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.