Modifying a pair of boots

I have a pair of leather above-the-knee boots that don't fit all that well. Above the knee there is nothing to hold them there and since they're wider than my leg they fall down. What I'd like to do is have someone chop off a fair bit and make them below the knee. A zipper would also be nice. Is this something a shoe repair place should be able to do?

I would say it's somthing they can do, the question is how much is it going to be?

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I would say it's somthing they can do, the question is how much is it going to be?

I'm not overly concerned there. The boots were over $400 Cdn so putting another $100 into them to get them to be what I want - well, that's fine. And they are nice. Comfy, thin heel, 4".... and very, very nice leather.

I don't think cutting them down is too difficult. It's a question of a neat cut, folding over and tucking under the lining. Stitching to match round the top. I'm sure you could get zips done as well for $100. When fitting the zips it may be possible to adjust the fit to your leg if they are loose anywhere as some material can be cut out when the zip is inserted. This may be the answer to your first problem. If you want to keep them as above the knee boots then you can get a zip put in and at the same time cut out some material so the fit is snug above you knee and they will stay up.

I don't think cutting them down is too difficult. It's a question of a neat cut, folding over and tucking under the lining. Stitching to match round the top. I'm sure you could get zips done as well for $100. When fitting the zips it may be possible to adjust the fit to your leg if they are loose anywhere as some material can be cut out when the zip is inserted.

This may be the answer to your first problem. If you want to keep them as above the knee boots then you can get a zip put in and at the same time cut out some material so the fit is snug above you knee and they will stay up.

Hm, good thought. I'll consider that. Maybe the input from the cobbler will make the decision for me.

I already have another pair of above the knee boots but I don't really have any that are knee high. Something else to think about. They are quite tight along the calf but then become quite loose above the knee. If they can change the shape, then even this won't be a problem. Now, the tough part - what do I want :-)

It's more difficult to let them out at a zip than take them in because te material needs to match and you get an additional variable seam which may not look good. If you intend to wear under trousers it may not matter, but some people are purists. With regard to getting a correct fit on the other boots, take measurements round your legs at varying heights and do the same with the boots before you go. The cobbler will quickly be able to see from that how much the difference is and what is possible. You can also indicate from the measurements what parts you consider a good fit. Some people's good fit is another person's tight fit, so if employing tradesmen, give them the maximium information.

Cutting them down is fairly standard practice for a decent shoe-maker, (Achilles has done a good job on 2 pairs for Heelfan), and even inserting a zip is child's-play. However, have you considered having a piece of elastic inserted at the back of the knee to prevent "fallage". Achilles did this for me on a gorgeos pair of OTK boots from Fredericks.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Cutting them down is fairly standard practice for a decent shoe-maker, (Achilles has done a good job on 2 pairs for Heelfan), and even inserting a zip is child's-play.

However, have you considered having a piece of elastic inserted at the back of the knee to prevent "fallage". Achilles did this for me on a gorgeos pair of OTK boots from Fredericks.

They lace at the back above the knee. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a zip and knee high boots. We'll see how it goes. Good to know it's not too tough to do though. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

you mentioned the laces at the very end...That is the best idea Most shoe repairers if experianced, could take in the back by moving the eylets over (re-align) to tighten the boot tops. Dr Shoe also mentioned the elastic. Some shoemakers call that a gusset. We use the elastic to let out the top of boots that are too tight, but it could work if there is a seam or pattern that you can disguise the work so you can make the cut without notice, to take in the boot. Re aligning the eylets might only require one side of the eyelets, depending on the angle or visual looks. ( It may also depend on if the shoemaker has the same style of eylets, then you may have to replace the other eyelets to match)

you mentioned the laces at the very end...That is the best idea

Most shoe repairers if experianced, could take in the back by moving the eylets over (re-align) to tighten the boot tops.

Dr Shoe also mentioned the elastic. Some shoemakers call that a gusset. We use the elastic to let out the top of boots that are too tight, but it could work if there is a seam or pattern that you can disguise the work so you can make the cut without notice, to take in the boot.

Re aligning the eylets might only require one side of the eyelets, depending on the angle or visual looks. ( It may also depend on if the shoemaker has the same style of eylets, then you may have to replace the other eyelets to match)

No, not a gusset. A strip of elastic attached to the lining inside the boot so that it doesn't show.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

No, not a gusset. A strip of elastic attached to the lining inside the boot so that it doesn't show.

Well, the wife brought the boots into the cobbler today. He suggested cutting off the excess and not putting a zip in yet. See if they fit ok. So that's what we're going with - for now.

• 1 month later...

Well, the wife brought the boots into the cobbler today. He suggested cutting off the excess and not putting a zip in yet. See if they fit ok. So that's what we're going with - for now.

Got the boots back a while ago.... the cobbler did a great job. They are still a bit tight down a little below the ankle (right where the foot turns into the leg). I'm sure they'll loosen especially if they had some help. They are still tight to get on and off and I think a zipper would help that, or finding a way to stretch the leather. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

They will stretch over use and time.

Go back to the shoemaker, and ask them for a shoe stretch spray.

Apply liberaly, wipe it totally into the leather, or even use a hair dryer to warm the leather, (BUT DON'T BURN THE LEATHER!!! just fan the leather back and forth with the heat) just warmer than body temp, and wear them for a lengthy periods of time. The natural heat of your body will help mold them to your leg. Also, if you could purchase a set of boot shapers either in plastic, or if you splurge, cedar wood and they will also keep the boots in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a Shoe Stretch by Meltonian very successfully. It has been made to permanently stretch shoes and gloves made of leather, suede or reptile skins. It is not made for use on man-made materials. You spray the shoes or boots inside where you need to stretch them and put them on and wear them for a long period of time as your body temperature dries and stretchs them. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!