Mornington Crescent anyone?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

To all you people who wanted to play this game of Mornington Crescent take cheer.

I have the answer. Don’t bother playing.

You will be taken for a ride.

There are no rules so don’t waist you time trying to find any.

It is supposed to be about getting to Mornington Crescent a station on the London underground.

It is about a bunch of Londoners who think they are superior to others and play this game making out that there is a pattern to it.

There is no pattern either.

When you ask them for the rules it has long been a tradition that players must never admit that this is what is really going on - the usual answer when asked is "oh, just watch us play for a while, you'll pick the rules up". This tradition appeals to the cliquery of these insecure people, the Londoners, in a very obnoxious way.

For them the main appeal of the game is the feeling of superiority over those who are seeing the game played for the first time, and the warm feeling of being in the clique that knows the secret. For them, Mornington Crescent is no more than a socially acceptable form of laughing at the “want to be players”.

They do this mainly in the hope of keeping you out of the clique and thereby demonstrating their superiority over you in some insignificant matter. It's clear that this does not stand up to reason, because the many strange exceptions being quoted indicate that the rules are way too complex to pick up.

It is interesting to note that quite a few of these “nice” people in the game are the main stay of the street heelers in London and other places. Your credibility has been shot to pieces guys. I for one no longer believe you go street heeling as you say you do. I am totally disillusioned by this forum and all you Londoners or near Londoners at the moment. In future you will be treated by me with the contempt you deserve.

I'm sorry if this spoils the fun of the honest players. I was one too and yes I would liked to have played. I don’t like being put down at any time let alone by a group of stuffy nosed Londoners who think they are so much better than the rest of us because they live in London.

Some examples

1 There is supposed to be a pattern to this game that started at Bakers Street. What pattern could exist for novices to find at this point?

2 Nhoj62 said Angel which was accepted but he later claimed he didn’t know how to play the game.

3 Nhoj62 said Edgeware but it wasn’t allowed being an illegal move.

4 The legal move though Edgeware Road is ok but there is two of them, which one is correct?

5 Next play was “So why can’t I have Edgeware and yet can have Edgware road?

Please explain?

6 Answer “Can't you see it? It's time to play Paddington. (getting the idea folks)

7 If any of you want to, go back over it take a note of the nonsensical reasons given for making their choice.

8 Notice how the game suddenly stopped when there were no outsiders participating.

This is played on another site that I frequent and actually got the clue from, as to what this game is about.

They even invented station names to confuse the serious uninitiated contenders like me.

Station names like Hammersmith Flyover, doesn’t exist, Euston Road, doesn’t exist, Petty France doesn’t exist, that from the Official London Underground Map and doing a search on those places in London Maps web site.

In the end I do not believe there is or ever was a game that could be played by outsiders.

If it is important to you convince me otherwise.

Jeff

I for one no longer believe you go street heeling as you say you do.

You may not believe it but then you don't have to "believe" anything. Anyone can look at the photographs and draw their own conclusions.

There is a form to Mornington C. You have to work it out and then join in. It's as simple as that. It matters not whether you come from London or anywhere else.

In this respect it's the opposite of most other verbal reasoning games. Those who play logically, or with an order, are outed, while those who post randomly are in, regardless of where they come from. If you work it out you're in, and if you don't you're not. It's meant to be an intellectual challenge, to think laterally, cutting through the normal rules of word games.

If you post things for the right reasons, your posts will be accepted by whatever group is playing both here or elsewhere. If you haven't worked out the ground rules, they won't be, or at least be challenged. If you're challenged you have to think on your feet. Posting something irrational, which is accepted, may cause the lightbulb to burn; so you try it again and work it through.

I'm sorry you didn't work out the true concept and took some unintended offense. Thinking out of the box was the name of the game, coming from London isn't.

jeffm i'm sorry if u find this game so terrible as for my initial postings on it i thought it was a case of listing the stations then i realise there is no real form to the game hence the change in my postings on this game, from asking why to just stating somthing like it is fact. read throught wot is out there on the net an find a book on it, u will soon find that is it a load of rubbish but it is fun an a dam good way of learning the underground stations from the old to the new to the ones that are no longer in use an not on the map, there is lots to learn through playing so don`t be down about it. have fun an enjoy nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

Firefox

You may not believe it but then you don't have to "believe" anything. Anyone can look at the photographs and draw their own conclusions.

With todays software we all know that a pic taken at home can be made to look as though it is a street scene. So that takes care of the street heeling.

As for your explanation of the game you have proved my point. What other explanation could you have used to cover your ploy. With the nature of the game being to deceive "people not in the know" do you expect others to believe your explanation?

I gave quite specific examples that were rejected by one of you toward a new player, yet these same stations were accepted when one of you used them himself. So either a station is ok to use or it is not. How can you possibly say "you cant use that" because of some unwritten rule then say to your buddie that it is ok and ignore that same unwritten rule.

And as nhoj62 admits to in his post

good way of learning the underground stations from the old to the new to the ones that are no longer in use an not on the map,

He admits there are stations used in the game that dont exist.

So I could start using station names from Tokyo to New York and even here in Perth and you could not challenge me legitimately because you wouldnt know if I was pulling your leg or not.

I notice that neither of you offered an explanation for the Euston Road Hammersmith Flyover or Petty France stations. Would that be because you would have to admit that some where some one was having a good laugh at some poor unsuspecting outsider.

I am not convinced by either of you that the game is legit. In fact all you have done is reinforce my view of it and your selves with your invitation to keep at it.

Posting something irrational which is accepted may cause the lightbulb to burn, so you try it again and work it through.

See the put down even here in your post with "light bulb" as though these outsiders dont have a brain just a light that goes on when they have an idea.

And

there is lots to learn through playing so don`t be down about it.

have fun an enjoy

There is nothing to learn, there are no rules as you have said, you just have to make up station names to confuse others throwing in proper ones most of the time to keep it going on a map that the others can see.

How much fun and enjoyment would any one get from that unless they new they were having it at some one elses expence, like the outsiders.

I should maybe mention to you some thing of the other game I played in.

The connection they used, the pattern, was real.

Each station had to have some reference to the previous one. As an example some one had put Arsenal. The next post was Did you think the GunnersBury any thing there. A cryptic clue. Gunners for you outsiders is the name of the soccer team from Arsenal. My answer to them was A flaming horse of course. Well did you work that out. I gave them 30 hours and none of them thought of Hackney Wick. Then it was Come On lets do tennis with a nearly famous tenis star. Guess what they took nearly 12 hours to get Layton. Nearly refering to the Aussie tennis player Llayton Hewitt. See there are 2 L's in his name.

That game was still running last night with all sorts participating, from the US Scotland and Ireland. A fair and reasonable game it seems to me.

Both of you have offered some sort of explanation on how the game is being played on HHplace, some thing you will KNOW is totally not allowed if you are to play by the rules.

I dont know if I will be allowed to stay here on HHplace because I can see I have upset the apple cart, but in case I am, be assured that I will PM any one who wants to play and asks the rules.

That should fix up your fun quite a bit.

Lastly you might wonder why I am going to stay on this site saying what I have of some of you. I joined it from Jenny's site back when it was first started to talk to women who liked/loved wearing high heels. As time has passed we have less and less women here. I think there are only 2 regulars left now, Laurie and Anita C. Anne Louise has left, she doesnt like where it is heading, and there have been no posts from Virginie or Jenniferhoustan1 for quite a few weeks. But I live in hope. The other site that plays MC is a much more friendly site than this one as is Jenny's site.

Having implied maybe that this site has no friendly people on board, let me say that I think there is a terrifc bunch of people here. Its just that I have found that some who I had a huge respect for have caused me to change my mind. You even said to me FF in a PM that not every one in cyberspace is who they claim to be. How true.

Jeff

There maybe some different forms of Mornington C. Quoting what was played elsewhere is of little use, there are no universal rules. You have to work out what is going on in the game as it appears in front of you. Your assertion that this game is only for people from London or near London is quite wrong. nhoj started off cold not knowing what was going on. He later worked it out and joined in the spirit. He's not from London or anywhere near it. If you had chosen to post some random stations or approximations to them, you would have been treated the same as would anyone else. The fact is you DIDNT work it out. You chose to make some wild and false accusations instead. When one takes a unilateral position, insulting people in the process, you have to be damn sure you are right, unless you want to end up looking foolish. If you don't like the board , go elsewhere, it's a free net. Or do something proactive instead of just moaning about it.

JeffM........

The best way to get in with the gang is to just jump in and have some fun. I'll admit I didn't know the first thing about Mornington Crescent - since I come from the US - but I love a good challenge. It's what keeps your wits sharp about you.

So with that said....let's see.........I'll choose........

Baker Street! :-?

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Dr Shoe We didn’t start at Bakers Street The game was restarted at Farrindon, Then Baker Steet And then Swiss Cottage on the Baker cheese connection. Just what do they do at Grange Hill that connects with cheese or Swiss. Jeff

ShyGuy How disappointing. I thought with your friendly approach to play

The best way to get in with the gang is to just jump in and have some fun. I'll admit I didn't know the first thing about Mornington Crescent - since I come from the US

you would have a bit of compassion for a novice. But you seem to be just as determined as the others to stuff it up new comers.

For my next trick......*drum roll please*

Please what for. Sticking me out there at Mile End near Colchester that isnt even in the Greater London area.

Do you really want praise for that.

Stiill if you can get out there l can get back through Upminister, West Ham, Tower Hill, to Monument then up through Angel to Euston and hey look at whats next Mornigton Crescent.

Dud Duh :)

Looks like its easier to win than I thought.

Jeff

ShyGuy How disappointing. I thought with your friendly approach to play

you would have a bit of compassion for a novice. But you seem to be just as determined as the others to stuff it up new comers.

Jeff

Ummm....last I checked, my handle wasn't "Shyguy", but rather "ShockQueen", and I'm not determined to stuff anything up anybody, honestly. Methinks perhaps you're jumping to conclusions?

Come on now...the bitter talk :argue: really needs to stop.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Not sure where we are at present Shockqueen. Should it be started again? Thanks for your PM this morning. You have no idea what affect it had on me. I am hoping to let you know in the next day or two. Just so you dont get any grey hairs worrying about it, it was most postive. Thanks again Jeff

• 1 month later...

Good idea, but before we start, how about standardising the rules?

We could use Stovolds' Rush Hour rules:

The object of the game is either to place Mornington Crescent as the last remaining station when all the others have been placed or to force another player to place it because to place any other remaining station would be an illegal move. If placing MC would also be an illegal move then the person placing the preceding station will win.

1. You cannot place a station on the same line as the preceeding station. e.g. Hainault following Ruislip Gardens would be illegal. DLR counts as one line under Stovolds' Rules.

2. You cannot pace a station with the same number of letters. e.g. Mile End and Barking. (This would be a double fault as they are also both on the District line and during rush hour when the rules apply, Hammersmith and City.)

3. You cannot place stations adjacent to the preceding one on the map. e.g. Ickenham and Ruislip Gardens, even though they are on different lines and differ in the number of letters.

4. The rules apply to all lines going through an interchange so that if the preceeding station was Bond Street then you cannot place any station on the Jubilee or the Central.

The "Bounceback Rule"

If there is a junction on the same line then you can return to a station on the other branch provided it would have been impossible to travel there without changing direction. For example: The preceeding Station is Waterloo so you can play Borough or any other station on that branch (Except London Bridge as that violates rule 1 -Jubilee Line) up to but not including Euston. On certain portions of the District and DLR you can do double or even treble bouncebacks.

Joker

You can play any station you like without violating any of the above rules if that station has the same number of letters as your nick-name as written so my name being "Dr Shoe" is 6 letters so I can name any station of 6 letters I like. You must state that you have played a joker which can only be played once per game.

Abbreviations

St as in Baker St. must be taken as "Street" hence this example has 11 letters. St. as in St Pancras is taken as Saint so King's Cross St Pancras is 22 letters. Words such as "the" also count toward the letter total.

I know this is complicated but it is actually quite easy when you start playing. I have chosen Stovolds' because it is the easiest version of the game to pick up as there are only 4 basic rules but I have added bounceback for added enjoyment and the Joker rule makes selecting stations slightly easier especially in the later stages

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Wow,

I know I sgtarted this off, but I certainly didn't mean to see flames.

Mornington Crescent for the uninitiated should go to the central resource, namely the BBC Radio 4 program website for "I'm sorry I haven't a clue"

Heres the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/clue.shtml

THis program keeps me sane on m commute home on a Monday evening. You can listen to the lst edition at the click of the mouse, and maybe they will play MC.

Enough of that, Aldwych

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

• 1 month later...