what kind of computer(s) do you own?

post your computer specs here...if you own a mac just write "i suck" :smile: my desktop cpu: dual pentium III 750mhz ram: 368meg SDRAM HDD: 200gig total (2x60gig maxtors i got for $150 each on sale in the summer and the 40gig seagate that came with my computer) videocard: matrox millenium G450 dualhead (awsome card, dual monitors rock, and this card only cost me like $175 canadian..very cheap for an awsome card!) monitor: dual 19inch LG studioworks monitors cd: 52x creative cdrw: some ghetto 8x 4x 32x HP piece of junk that came with my computer...slow but it serves its purpose and hasnt failed in over 1000 burns) my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 4100 forget exact specs and too lazy to research em (hey, its 11:45pm right now) friends dont let friends use macintosh's

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could've had a computer like that, or better, if I hadn't been buying shoes for about $1200 and makeup for about $500 during the last 12 months.. :smile: I have: PII 400, 128RAM 10GB hardrive, TNT2 Ultra card. (it's 3 years old this fall) Depending on whether I get a job this summer, I'm going to upgrade to a P4 1,8Ghz, and 512MB RAM(DDR, PC333), initially. My goal is 1024MB RAM, I need it for my 3d apps.

Well, well, it seems like I will have the slowest computer on the board so far. Its a: 133 mhz pentium (1) without mmx. motherboard Aopen AP53 40 mb ram memory 4 gb fujutsi harddrive (old) Ati Rage pci (Mach64GT) Aopen Phantom AW200 (dont buy this one, it isnt good but it works) Internal 24X Teac CD-524EA (superb, reads very bad cd:s) Discdrive teac Dell 17" whith trinitron display (100 Hz perfect view at 1024x768) External HP 8200 cdr+cdrw usb burner Scanner Epson Perfection 1640SU USB card rev 1.1 with 4 connections 10/100 Repotech network card with intel processor (very easy to install) Stll using a 386 keyboard (it still works!!!) Primax mouse (bad thing, doubleclicks while single clicking) It is amazingly how well this old crappy computer works, it works day in and day out without problems. But I cant run modern games at all, thats a little sad. I cant buy a new cd burner since the new ones demands a lot better computer then mine. But I wont build anyone new for the moment, in the future yes. Is here anyone with a computer who is worse than mine, which is used in dayly use for writing and surfing the internet and so on? I bet there is... Well, I forgot to tell I got a very old laptop too, its so old that its almost impossible to install windows 3.11. It requeris a mathprocessor which the laptop doesnt have, anyway a fynne DOS computer. Once I had a heavy laptop from the mid 80ies, an IBM with built in orange monitor and two 5 1/4 diskdrives and 640 k intern memory. Yes it was possible to use that one to for writing in dos mode. However I dumped it too a friend. My hate objekt computer no 1 is that ugly non properly working mcintosh LC 475. I bought it new and could only stand the crap for two weeks. I bought a PC instead and I liked it much better and PC liked me too..., which the mcintosh didnt. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beeblebrox on 2002-04-07 18:39 ]</font>

Machine 1. . ECS K7S5A m/b with Duron 750 . 256 DDR RAM . 60Gb Hard drive . 32Mb ATI Xpert 2000 with TV out . 21" monitor running at 1280x1024 (max.1600x1280) . 8x DVD drive . 16x12x40x CD-Rewriter . WinTV Go! television card . USB 9600dpi scanner . USB optical HID compliant mouse . 380watt surround speakers (sound builtin on computer) . Epson 600 printer . 56k V90 modem Machine 2. . TX Pro m/b with Intel P200mmx . 128Mb PC100 SDRAM . 20Gb Hard drive . 4x4x20x CD-Rewriter . Built in VGA and sound . 14" SVGA monitor USB network connector between both Machine 3. Apple Mac Performa 6320 PowerPC (don't ask me what's in it cos I don't care) Machine 4. Apple Mac IIsi (same difference) Machine 5. Apple IIe . 64Kb RAM . 3x 5.25" floppy drives . Z80 cpm controller . 80 column adaptor . 10" mono monitor (greenscreen) . PAL modulator As you see I have a few computers floating around my house, plus a couple in for repair. Machine 5 was my first computer so I kept it, plus it's good for those retro gaming evenings :smile: No laptops left, sold the last one. It was a PII 233, 32Mb, 4.1 Gb Harddrive with builtin sound, cdrom and floppy

133mhz? OUCH! u should at least try and pikc up a new CPU...a 1ghz duron will only cost you about $100..shit, even a 500mhz one is better..i cant imagine 133mhz...way to oldschool for me..hehe i think i know the laptop your talking about...at work when we were moving we found an old IBM laptop, it was the size of a large briefcase and had removable keyboard and trackball mouse..ran dos nicely too

AMD 1700+ XP processor 256MB PC-133 SDRAM 40GB 7200 RPM Maxtor HDD SoundBlaster Live! Digital 5.1 soundcard Xentor32 32MB AGP video card w/TNT2 Ultra Chipset Imation 8X20 CD-R drive w/internal SCSI controller 12X DVD-ROM drive 56K modem (still can't get cable - DARN!) Canon 7000 series photo inkjet printer Mustek flatbed scanner Still running Win98SE until I'm sure everything will work on XP - can't do 2000 or NT as they don't work well w/graphics apps.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Well I've got a couple systems in various states, but only two are in active use so I'll post their specs. Primary System- Intel PIII 866EB @ 1157 (cD0 stepping) Soyo SY-7VCA Motherboard (Via Apollo Pro 133A chipset) 640MB Cas2 PC133 Micron SDRAM. Gainward GeForce2 Ti/450. Maxtor D740X 40GB, 7200RPM (Fluid bearings model) Fujitsu 10.2GB, 5400RPM. LG 52X CDROM Memorex 2x2x16 CDRW SoundBlaster Live! Value 17" KDS V770-S D-Link DE528CT NIC Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse USB Logitech Internet Kyboard USB 431W Enermax PSU I'll skip listing scanner, printer, speakers etc and other such extraneous peripherals. Server-used for light sever duties. Intel PIII 667MHz Asus P3B-F 128MB Micron Cas2 PC133 SDRAM. 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 Fujitsu 8.4GB 5400RPM Delta 44X CDROM/Delta 48X CDROM SoundBlaster Live! Value Princeton 15" Monitor AOpen 56K ISA Hardware modem D-Link DE-528CT NIC 300W Enermax PSU Primary system is running WindowsXP Professional. Server is running Windows 2000 Server/Mandrake Linux 8.2 _________________ "Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow, That I shall say good night till it be morrow". -Romeo and Juliet. Act II, Sc. 2, Line 184-185 <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rand on 2002-04-08 02:10 ]</font>

All sorts of old PC's (about 4 at the last count) most of them bought second hand for next to nothing at fairs or auctions. I think my fastest is a 350 mhz and to be honest, this type of machine and lower specs down to P120 is more than adequate for 95% of users especially for internet. I agree in princple about macs being a poor deal. It's like buying a car which is twice as expensive that you can only fill up at 1 gas station in 10. You've got to be dedicated to the cause for that! _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-04-08 02:19 ]</font>

Well, I worked at Intel, you know those guys that put the warning label on most PC "Intel Inside". Because I worked at Intel I've choose to have easy to use, computers at home, I have an iMac and a G3 Mac. I still use a Wintel computer (not by choice) because I work QA on many computer systems. All I camn say is people would save a lot of time and money using either Mac's or Linux. As we say "with Microsoft failure is not an option, it's built in". If this means "I suck", so-be-it, I just like watching Wintel owner struggle.

i think windows and macs both suck to a large extent....the windows IP stack is ripped almost line for line from freeBSD, and macOS is built around freeBSD as well...they got rich on the backs of honest hardworking people who chose to share their creations with others instead of forging evil corporations out of it

Hewlett Packard 1.2 GZh AMD Anthon, 200MHz Bus, 256k level 2 chche, v90 Modem, Ether net card, 256mb SDRAM, PS2 keyboard. 4 USB ports, Serial ports, Full size case "Baja Blue" 1 40 GB Maxtor hard drive 7500rpm 1 15 GB " " 5600rpm 1 Samsung 8x4x32 CD-RW 1 Samsung 48X CD ROM 1 Floppy drive 1.44 MB Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128 Creative Sound Labs Digital 5pc speaker system. Logitech track ball cordless mouse Lexmark Z 12 Printer 1200X1200 dpi Magview CRT 17" Westell DSL external modem Windows ME <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-04-08 05:11 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Well, I'm a geek, so I have a PII 233 laptop running RedHad Linux, a PII 233 machine running some kind of Windows, and three AlphaServers. As soon as I find out how to get RH7.1 to drive my RAID controllers, then I'll have at least one more machine in use. Oh, plus a dead PC, a laptop that work lent me, and a PalmPilot. Do I win anything :smile: ?

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

In Belgium I'm using a 900Mhz PentiumIII with 368 (or something) working memory and 40Gb harddisk and Windows ME. In Germany I use a laptop 233Mhz PentiumII with 3,2Gb hard disk and Windows 98. Both are connected through ADSL. Nothing fancy but suitable for my needs. I prefer investing in heels as in computers.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Two systems: One is a good old AMD K6-2 300MHz serving as a server and internet gateway. It runs at the moment Redhat linux 7.2, but has still partions on it containing Suse 6.3, OS/2 Warp4 and Win98 (yuck..). Memory is 128M 3HD's (2 IDE, 1 SCSI) make up a total of I think about 16G. This thing also has a 4-2-2 CDRW and a SB AWE 64 Gold. Second one is the thing I do all my work on. A dell Inspiron 3800 notebook. CPU is Pentium III 600MHz Memory is 256M HD is 20G Screen is 14" TFT, but at home it is connected to a 17" Iiyama CRT-box. Also runnning Redhat linux here and sometimes Win98 in a VMWare session under linux. _________________ Greetz, Jeff --- "She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff on 2002-04-08 20:08 ]</font>

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

On 2002-04-08 20:02, Firefox wrote:

Talking about mice with only one button, you only need 3 keys on a Microsoft OS Keyboard..... ctrl, alt, and delete!

Very funny indeed, the most true and funny anyhow.

Yes, it is true that these three keys are good to have. But if I remember my mcintosh right, I used very often doubble applekeys and del or something similar. So mcintosh has copyed that option from the pc world, and know why. Becouse it is the only combination that might work when the sad mcintosh is hanging with its software in a cable outside your window.

The smartest way is to cut the cable.

Well, you might have noticed, I dont like these apple machines. We had them at work too in our education department. I used them a lot while making material for education. Soon as you had been writing anything you had to save it with in 10 minutes, otherwise it would hang. They later changed into pc:s, it worked a lot better, but they had a hard time converting all documents.

On 2002-04-07 20:11, terayon wrote:

133mhz?

OUCH!

u should at least try and pikc up a new CPU...a 1ghz duron will only cost you about $100..shit, even a 500mhz one is better..i cant imagine 133mhz...way to oldschool for me..hehe

i think i know the laptop your talking about...at work when we were moving we found an old IBM laptop, it was the size of a large briefcase and had removable keyboard and trackball mouse..ran dos nicely too

Yes its true, but to upgrade I have to change motherboard, cpu, fan, memory, case, powersupply, that is minimum upgrade kit as my precent mother doesnt support mmx processors at all. Well, someday I would build a new one.

Jepp, thats the IBM I was talking about, but I hadnt the trackball, it was a funny simple machine which worked, but I had no use for it.

that isnt true at all...unless your using ghetto ram you wont need to change that...just CPU and motherboard...even 233mhz will use ATX form factor, so case wont matter, neither will powersupply, new cpus come with fans

Just remember to check what the power supply requirements the new motherboard has, as once you get to a certain point, you have to up the power on it. When I went from my 366 to my 1.7Ghz, I had to go from a 250W to a 300W, so I got a new case, which was not much more than the PS by itself. Also, be sure what the RAM you are using is, whether it's PC-100, PC-133, or EDO RAM.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Sounds like you've been lucky, Terayon. For me, the MB never seems to fit or the screw holes don't line up and you have to frig around. Or one or two cable connectors are different, or something else is non standard. Anyway, at my end of the market you just buy a whole new box for $100

Here's my list: Server 1 Dual Pentium III 550 Mhz 1GB RAM 60GB IDE harddisk This system is my main server, it's running Windows 2000 Advanced Server as a DC, with Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition Server 2 Pentium Pro 200 MHz 128MB RAM 4GB IDE harddisk This system is running Windows 2000 Advanced Server as a member server, with Citrix MetaFrame XP Server 3 Pentium 133 MHz 96MB RAM 512MB SCSI harddisk and a 2GB SCSI harddisk This system is for experiments running Windows NT 4.0 Server (maybe gonna be Linux later...) Workstation 1 Pentium III 550 MHz 384MB RAM 9GB SCSI harddisk Plextor CD-ROM and Plextor CD-R My main workstation running Windows XP Professional Workstation 2 Pentium MMX 200 MHz 128MB RAM 9GB IDE harddisk My wife's computer running Windows 2000 Professional And I have 3 laptops, one for me (Windows XP), one for my wife (Windows XP) and one for my dad (Windows 2000) All this is connected via my home-installed S/FTP network (about 1.5 km of cabling is installed with outlets all over the house, well except the bathrooms and toilets :smile: ). I use 2 3Com SuperStack II hubs to link it all up. And not to forget the best thing I have is my Cisco 2621 router with 64MB RAM and 16 MB Flash, running IOS 12.2(8)T enterprise basic with 2 Fast Ethernet interfaces, 1 ISDN interface and 1 ADSL interface. My internet connection is ADSL, 1024Kb downstream and 256Kb upstream. I also have a Cisco 803, a Cisco 1601 and a Cisco 2501 just for playing around.

On 2002-04-08 21:27, terayon wrote:

that isnt true at all...unless your using ghetto ram you wont need to change that...just CPU and motherboard...even 233mhz will use ATX form factor, so case wont matter, neither will powersupply, new cpus come with fans

Well, if I buy new things there is motherboard for athlon, Duron, P3, P4, Celeron. My powersupplay is only 200 watts (no ATX), perhaps the motherboard will fit my old case. The difference to buy a new powersupplay or buy a new case with powersupply is minimal.

If I understod correct it is recomended to use 300 watts for the newer motherboards and cpu:s, it is also depending on which displaycard you use and so on.

My present motherboard will not support mmx cpu series becouse of the voltage, my uses 3.3 volts. (3.45 or 3.52 volts)

From the manual:

"The AP53 board measures 220 mm x 250 mm and may come with or without a

voltage regulator module (VRM). The VRM enables the board to support future

2.5V processors."

And I dont have the voltage regulator on my board. My board supports up to 166 mhz without mmx.

I think the 2.5 volts is for the mmx cpu, so if I put a mmx cpu into a motherboard which gives 3.3 volts the mmx processor will go to a place far beyond this dimension.

I think my EDO (ghetto) memory wont fit in a new motherboard since sdram, ddr or rambus are the most common today.

Here in Sweden you can by processors with fan (expensive) or without fan (less expensive) and my old fan will most likely not fit the newer generation of processors.

Well, as I see it I still have to change some stuff to get a better computer.

Terayon, I hope you understand my computers condition, even if its working nice and safe at the moment.

From the sounds of it some people have a lot of problems with Microsoft Windows. I have Windows ME and when I first got it is was all ways crashing. I did three things to get mine to behave better. This of course is for versions before Windows XP. One shut down as many programs as possible that run on start up. Determine the most important ones that need to be running on start up. Just make sure that you don’t shut down the actual operating system. I use msconfig.exe. Two, buy a RAM manager program, mine only cost me $20. It seems Microsoft did not fix the problem with the Windows RAM manger until XP came along. Three, I have Norton's System Works Pro 2001. I use it when my computer starts to slow down or screw up. Since then I have been having blue screens far and few between. I am always looking for suggestions for improvements, so lets hear them.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

The only problem I had with ME was it not booting up InCD properly, which I rectified by altering the installation order. I would use XP, but it refused to see my WinTV card. Drivers now exist for this, but I'll stick with ME for now. Less headaches for the moment. I shall most likely install XP when I get a cpu of 1.5Ghz or above. It might be worth it then :smile:

I use Windows 98 osr2 at the moment, it works fine most of the time. I have bluescreens, but its very rare. Best operating system I had so far is Windows 2000 professional, but my precent computer is way to old and XP might be an option inthe far future, who knows. Worst was windows 95 first edition, in worst case I reinstalled it 2 times a day or more "normal" 1-4 times a month. One postive thing was that I never had the need of defrag the harddrive.

Some have problems, some don't. I wonder what's up with that?