what kind of computer(s) do you own?

My one and only PC is patchwork. It's a 350MHz Pentium 2 with 320 MB of RAM, some old parts from my previous PC and things I added lateron. I shall maintain it until it falls to pieces. And I still own my good old Commodore 64. I spent many hours programming it in assembler years ago, I still do so occasionally. It recently broke down for the third time in 18 years, but I intend to repair it again!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My one and only PC is patchwork. It's a 350MHz Pentium 2 with 320 MB of RAM, some old parts from my previous PC and things I added lateron.

I shall maintain it until it falls to pieces.

Nice! What operating system do you run? Much of the open-source software is great on such old machines.

And I know it's a typo, but 'lateron' sounds so much like the next chip from Intel :wink:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

And I know it's a typo, but 'lateron' sounds so much like the next chip from Intel :D

So you think it was a typo? Well, being a moderately good English speaker, I thought it was English! :wink:

About the old machine: Windows98 runs well on it, for as far as Windows runs well on any machine. It's not out of date.

I have installed a boot manager and some RedHat Linux version, but I haven't found the time to make myself familiar with Linux yet. :o

So you think it was a typo? Well, being a moderately good English speaker, I thought it was English! :wink:

OK, not criticising here, but I think you missed the space between 'later' and 'on', hence 'lateron'. Oh, this probably doesn't make sense to anyone except me, but that's how I saw it.

About the old machine: Windows98 runs well on it, for as far as Windows runs well on any machine. It's not out of date.

I have installed a boot manager and some RedHat Linux version, but I haven't found the time to make myself familiar with Linux yet. :D

Well, if it works, keep it. I appreciate that learning Linux takes a while, so I just count myself lucky that it counts as work for me, so I get a whole 40 extra hours a week to play :D

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

OK, not criticising here, but I think you missed the space between 'later' and 'on', hence 'lateron'.

Oops! I didn't mean to to be pedantic or teach you English!

I suppose I failed to explain I had already realized my error. I meant to say I mistakingly thought 'lateron' is proper English.

Next thing you know the English and grammar critics will be passing out graded papers. :rofl:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Oops! I didn't mean to to be pedantic or teach you English!

I suppose I failed to explain I had already realized my error. I meant to say I mistakingly thought 'lateron' is proper English.

That's OK. No problem.

It amuses me how we can tie ourselves up in knots over this English stuff. And I ought to know better, being as English is my first and so far only language :wink:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

recent upgrade to AMD 2600+ processor, ASUS motherboard and 1 gig of ram Nvidia 5200 fx 128 meg graphics card Soundblaster Audigy DVD rewriter and enough fans inside the case to blow away a small island .

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Err... Jeez... PC's: Pentium III 500 Mhz with CD R/W Pentium II 400 Mhz 2 x Pentium II 350 Mhz Pentium II 266 Mhz 2 x Pentium II 233 Mhz Pentium I 90 Mhz Pentium I 60 Mhz Laptops: Pentium III 733 Mhz (Compaq Armada) 386 thingy without harddisk (crashed) but runs on diskette and operates my model railroad. Soon laptops: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Pentium III 500 Mhz Toshiba Satelite 2.2 Ghz Celeron hhs

• 2 weeks later...

system update !! now is- AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 512Mb DDR 333 RAM 120Gb Seagate 7200rpm ATA 133 80Gb Maxtor 5400rpm ATA 100 64Mb GeForce2 Ti w/TV out Aver Media TV tuner and video capture w/remote 16x48 Samsung DVD ROM 44x24x44 Yamaha CRW-F1E cd-rewriter 4x Liteon LDW-411S multiformat DVD-rewriter. writes everything except DVD-RAM onboard sound which will be changed for an SB Live! or Audigy at some point, but does the job for now :( 21" IBM CRT monitor

• 3 weeks later...

Main machine: Some asus Mobo 1.333Ghz Athlon TB 512Mb memory GeForce 4 ti-4200 display card 3x60Gb harddrive Sound Blaster audigy 3com 10/100mbit network card 19" Monitor (Hitachi CM769ET, love this (1600x1200@85Hz) Keyboard & Mouse: some Logitech wireless Windows XP Pro Server: Some asrock mobo 700Mhz Duron 256Mb memory S3 trio display card 20Gb hard disk for OS 4x120GB@Raid 0 for storage Some noname 10/100mbit network card no display mouse or keyboard (controlled through RealVNC) Windows XP Server2: Some noname mobo AMD 5x86 100Mhz cpu 16Mb memory some noname 10/100mbit network card no display, keyboard or mouse (Controlled through ssh) Debian 3.0 r2 thats it, 10/100mbit switch and 1mbit/512 adsl as network

• 1 month later...

ok u asked for it main machine motherboard abit kt7a processor amd athlon 1600xp+ 3*512mb pc133 sdram hercules 4000xt graphics card with tv out creative platinum live 5.1 sound card realtech ethernet 10/100 card dvd-rom drive hd cooler, matrox 40gb hd hd cooler, matrox 20gb hd iomega zip100 drive floppy drive zelman heatsink fan on cpu akasa sound absorption material round ide cables logitech messenger webcam scanexpress 1200 cu plus scanner fujifilm finepix a210 3.2 mega pixel camera plus picture cradle cambridge soundworks speakers hp deskjet 845c hp laserjet 5L aoc 7vlr monitor second machine is a p3 1gig 3*128mb sdram sis 6326 graphics card on board sound pci realtech ethernet 10/100 card hd cooler, 10 gig hd 52 speed cdrom 48 speed msi cd writer iomega zip100 drive floppy drive elit 56k modem webstar cable modem akasa sound absorption material panasonic panasync E70 monitor and between these two is the KVM switch the 4 port 100mb netgear hub er i think that all of it, hmm and there is also a tv, a video player, a 5.1 amp/receiver, a tuner, a digi box plus two lamps a phone charger, and subwoofer(eltax), oh an my shaver. and yes under my desk is a four way extention lead with ten plugs in it :( and lets just say if it wasen`t for the sound absorption material in my big machine it would sound like turbine engine, it has ten fans in it :D later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!