what kind of computer(s) do you own?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running a 180 mhz compaq pentium pro machine as a server for my network to connect to the 1mbit broadband. I run an amd 1ghz with 640 MB ram, geforce 2 mx graphics, 100mbit network and 17" monitor. Wife has a 1ghz with 256 MB ram and built in sound and graphics. Also run an overclocked celeron 300 (at 450 mhz) with 192 MB ram for a games server (Unreal Tournament) on the network, and have just put a mini itx board (all in one pc on a 7.5" x 7.5" board) into a nintendo games console as a project, running at 800 Mhz with 256 meg ram and built in sound graphics and LAN with tv out for playing direct on tv. As well as various pcs from 486 ps2 upwards in the loft :wink: All run Windoze ME or 98 as Linux is just too damn picky to install most of the time. Also have a commodore 64, Amiga 500 (x2) and a zx81, zx spectrum and acorn electron as well as many retro consoles. :D

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Running a 180 mhz compaq pentium pro machine as a server for my network to connect to the 1mbit broadband.

What are you running on that? I have a PII-some hundred as a firewall, running SmoothWall.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Now there's a guy who takes computing seriously! I'm down to one computer now, 2.4GHz P4, 512 MB DDR, two hard drives, 120 GB and 60 GB, running Windows XP Pro. The latest addition to my system is the Sony DRU-500AX DVD writer that handles all the DVD formats. It is wonderful and has worked flawlessly with everything I've tried so far.

Oh, well, I just got lucky being able to buy this house. There were about 150 people wanting to buy it, but I happened to know the seller a bit better...

Posted Image

lion

shyguy wrote:

Running a 180 mhz compaq pentium pro machine as a server for my network to connect to the 1mbit broadband.

What are you running on that? I have a PII-some hundred as a firewall, running SmoothWall.

Running win 98 se with zonealarm, and using Internet connection sharing. Also use a small program I found somewhere to open extra ports for game servers etc thru ICS which is very basic and useless without the mods :wink:

Lion, you are a lucky man (epletive deleted :D) I have the cupboard where the cold water tank used to be for all my pc's and bits.....

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Well, my lab looks nothing like as professional as Lion's :wink: . But all my computers are in one room apart from the Alpha 2100, which is too big to go up the stairs! And the next room from my computer lab is my shoe room. Can't get much better than that!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 2 weeks later...

Lion, you have one neat collection :wink: I like it! Things get out of hand at my house, but none of it as impressive or as TIDY as that lot! I think you've given me something to aim for! What specs are the machines and networking hardware? SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

Hello pcfreaks! :wink: The one I´m writing and going to the net with is: AMD 1700+ =1,47Ghz 256 newest DDR ram(133Mhz) 64 Mb grafic card 3Dfx(don´t remember name) 40 Gb harddrive Sounblaster 16 Cdrom x 42 cd burner (burn x8 read x 40) Tv card(animax with remote) Dexxa Webcam(waiting for a new better) Flat TFT 15" Philips monitor That is mine. My son plays with:(he is here 4 days/month) PentiumIII 600Mhz 256Mb SDram(133Mhz) Soundblaster Live 16 32Mb grafic card 3Dfx(TNTRiva) 25 Gb harddrive Cdrom x32 14" svgaMonitor And my friends can use: Intel PII 200 MMX 256 Mbram Graficcard 3Dfx (old) Soundblaster16 20Gb harddrive Cdrom x18 14" svga Monitor

I am who I am and no one else/Jankas

upgrades have been, but only small ones, so my list is now PC 1 Duron 750 512 DDR Ram 60Gb HDD 64Mb Geforce2 Ti Graphics 21" CRT monitor WinTV Go! 48x16x18 CDRW 44x24x44 CDRW 16x48 DVD PC 2 P4 1600 256 DDR Ram 60Gb HDD 120Gb HDD 64Mb Geforce2 MX440 20" CRT monitor 24x12x24 CDRW 16x40 DVD AverMedia TV card PC 3 Apple ][e 128k Ram 5.25" floppies 12" CRT monochrome (green screen) :) Printers Epson 600 A4 colour Epson 3000 A2 colour HP 670 A4 colour obviously PC 3 is the oldest and slowest, but is best for retro gaming. PC 1 does most of my recoding and PC 2 does most of the cd writing and work so is connected to the best of my equipment :) I have a lab ! It's the whole house ! :lol: and it's a tip at the moment. Those of you following my progress will know why! :) Yes, it would be nice to have it all tidy and neat and sorted, but I doubt it will stay that way for more than a week, then another computer will have come in and one of my machines will have been opened again for testing of other peoples faulty stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

got new box on the weekend dual P4 2.5Ghz 1024meg DRAM 128meg gforce 4 with dual monitor support 200gigs from my old computer and 180gig new harddrive for total of 380gigs DVD burner cd burner same dual 19inch perfect flat monitors

My old trusty putter:

Athlon 1.2

384mb SDram

Abit KT7 raid motherboard

160gb hard drive space

Creative live 5.1 with the soundworks 2200 5.1 speaker system

ATI radeon 7500 graphics with 64mb ddr ram

2 ethernet cards

Creative 12x DVD drive

Lite-On 48x CD-RW unit

HP officejet g55 printer/scanner/copier

17" Sony trinitron monitor A220

Running WinXP

Here's a screenshot:

Posted Image

Oh, and i just completed the linux box, running mandrake 9.0, with kde: Celeron 333 160mb ram 4gb HD Soundblaster awe32 Ethernet card Ati Mach64 graphic card CD-Rom Serial mouse AT keyboard 15" Monitor I plan to learn how to use linux on it, and have some fun in the process. It's currently hooked onto the home lan, together with my windows box, and my mom's and my sis' puters. Makes all in all 4 boxes. (man, i can hardly wait till october, when i move into my own penthouse (160m^2). Then i can buy more shoes, besides the 3" boots i own.) :wink:

If I posted screenshots of my current desktop, this page would end up far too wide, as I'm running triple desktop. My (main) machine at present is: Athlon 800 Slot A 256MB Ram 20GB HD 80GB HD x2 (not on raid) Geforce 2 MX 32MB Colorgraphic Predator Pro PCI (Multihead card - 4x 32MB S3 Savage GPUs - retails at £400+, got for £7.50) Soundblaster Live! (with nice gold connectors and digital backplate) Black Pioneer 16x DVD Drive Black LiteOn 12x CDRW Drive Realtek 8139 10/100 PCI NIC Running Winblows XP and RedHat 8 (on the odd occasion). It's soon to be upgraded to an Athlon XP 1600+ (have the chip, cooler, and RAM is on its way, just waiting for motherboard) I have far too many other machines in here to list them all. I have four in my own bedroom, there's 5 in the computer room downstairs, my brother and sister have one each in their rooms. SH

Erm....I just have a little laptop! Toshiba Satellite 1100. It's got a 20gB hard drive and one of those 1.3GHz intel celery processing things in it. It's only little but it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Intel Celery sounds about right... it might as well be a stick of celery for the amount of power those things kick out! (Oh, and incase you were curious, they're actually Intel Celeron(s) - whoever at Intel came up with those names was an idiot!) SH

Yeah, I know what they are really called. That is what I call them in my vain attempt to be funny! The only thing I don't like about my laptop is that it crashes too often.

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Did you take it back to the shop? It seems to be staying up long enough for you to post again, fortunately. My works laptop runs a picture of Saturn, seen from one of its moons. I can't remember who painted it, but it's a stunning picture. I swiped it from an article on him I found on the Internet. I can't have anything *too* iffy, as I use my machine in public a lot. I used to have a nice photo of a kitten, but I got sick of the obvious remark that people made :wink: Intel started coming up with silly names ("Pentium" = five-ish?) because they were told they couldn't trademark numbers. This of course is sensible. It's hard enough teaching arithmetic without sums like 243 * 2 = 486 . As for Celeron, I've no idea.

Same goes for amd, athlon and duron are artificial names. Just that. Same as car names. Names made up by the marketing to identify the product more easily. Same goes even with high heeled shoes for that matter. :wink: Ppl need names. Either stupid or good ones. They just need to be easily identifiable.

I used to have a nice photo of a kitten, but I got sick of the obvious remark that people made :D

I may be missing something... but what's the obvious comment? Could we see it? Kittens are so cute... :wink:

SH

Yamyam, is it this one? Posted Image

The artist is Chesley Bonestell and it was painted in 1944

Robert - why yes it is! The very picture! I love that view. And you've posted an URL - I'll do some surfing next time I have some time. Thank you!

(SH - Many, many people asked me "Oh, is that your pussy?" I got sick of it after three weeks :wink: )

(SH - Many, many people asked me "Oh, is that your pussy?" I got sick of it after three weeks :wink: )

Ah, yes, I can see why. I get sick of the same thing from my friends all the time. *sigh*

SH

upgraded the duron 750 to Athlon xp2200+ (1800mhz) so I'm happier :wink: sold the P4 with a 17" monitor :D didn't want to, but the devil and his dues need paying :o so now down to 2 computers! The xp2200+ and my old Apple ][e