Two pairs of shoes...

Mickey S.

Folks,

this one might not be too exciting but I thought it's worth sharing. Just a short story...

In the morning I came to the company carrying two backpacks (Huh? Backpacks? I wonder what he's getting at; this is a shoes' forum! - would you probably think. Yeah, but this is required to illustrate the situation). The one I always have with me is a small one that holds things for 'daily needs'. The other (the bigger) one is the one I have with me when I plan to do some sports in the in-house gym.

So what backpacks do have in common with shoes? It's quite easy! I'll tell you in a second. - The ladies at the front desk, however, are entitled to search employees' suitcases, bags, backpacks and so on in order to check for cameras, unregistered laptops and stuff like that. Our security is very strict about that.

Today my favorite lady was on duty. She must have seen me managing stuff from the trunc of my car into one of my backpacks because this time I parked in a position where I could be clearly watched (from the front desk) what I did when leaving the car. I must mention BTW that she always looks down on me when I come in to obviously check for the shoes that I wear (it's easy to extrapolate her looks). So I think she was kinda curious and wanted to know what's in the 'box'. And, right, this morning I had another pair of high heeled shoes with me in the bigger backpack. I would have worn the 'packed ones' right away (and in fact I did last week to work and when I went shopping) but today it was likely that I go for some sports and of course had to change prior to start exercising. Then the heels would have been clearly visible and could be identified immediately as women's shoes. I don't like to present the guys lurking around in the boy's change room on Monday with these shoes (too much muscles but too little brain - no comment, you know!). So I planned to change shoes shortly before leaving for the gym. The alternate pair of boots are also higher heeled but look way more chunky with the heels and at all they could easily go for men's shoes (in fact I've got no idea if they are from the men's or the women's shelf since they came to my hands from the US from a non-professional-dealer and I have no idea where he got them from). Look:

Posted Image

They aren't one of the more exciting styles that I prefer but it's high heels and look quite decent. The brown color isn't as much glowing as it appears on the picture. I'd blame it on the flash. The boots I had in the backpack looked like that:

Posted Image

I like their shape a lot more although these boots might not be everybody's most wanted style. They are only half an inch taller than the heels I usually wear (first picture) but their heels look much more slender than the ones on my 'regular' shoes. So I wanted the less catching heels for the gym's change room. Anyway, since I wanted to wear the higher ones as well today I had to bring them along in the backpack. And somehow the lady at the reception knew that it was special today because I came in the other day with the backpack even more filled with stuff looking way more suspicious and wasn't payed any attention at all. But this time it appeared as if she wanted to 'confimr' what she had in mind. And she was right. :D

Of course she found the shoes and said (while I tried to keep myself from blushing): 'Lemme look... Ah! Okay, I see! - You may proceed...', somehow implicitely asking if these were mine. To me this sounded furthermore like: 'Now I really know what I've actually always thought and what you're like!' - with a smile. I must admit, I somehow wanted it always that exactly she checks on me and my stuff when I had shoes in the backpack. But this time I wasn't prepared and didn't even think of it to happen. I'm basically kinda cool with such a situation in case I had the chance to mentally 'simulating' it several times the days before. But today it all happened way too sudden. And it was obvious that these were my shoes. But how to explain? Actually there's nothing to explain but, again, I'd like to have some minutes to get this straight with myself first before I get to the public with that. Finally, I admitted and she was still cool with it and kept smiling. -- When wearing my high heels I can control how much I show to the world of my passion by choosing trousers of a particular length unveiling more or less of the shoes - depending on the mood I'm in.

In the evening when leaving for home I will be wearing the higher heeled shoes that I brought along in the big backpack. I really like to see what happens in case she is (hopefully) still on duty.

[Mike] Unfortunately, she wasn't on duty anymore that day and since then was busy with registering other visitors and/or employees when I saw her at her desk. 09/13/04 [/Mike]

CU!

-Mike

----

[Mike] Pics added: 09/13/04 [/Mike]

Tell you a story, much on the same lines.

Decided to give my 5" blue suede stilettos a 'run' up in London

Posted Image

It turned out that these may look like the best thing since sliced bread, but they sure are 'twangy' to walk on. I wore them for a while, but thought I would wreck them if I kept them on around the Science Museum.

I had a spare pair of 4" block ankle boots in my briefcase in case of problems, so I did a quick swap during lunch.

I hadn't reckoned with the increased security at the Science Museum (just after 9/11). All bags were being searched. So, a young lady asked me to open my briefcase ..... what did she find there but a shoebox?

She found this a bit strange, asked me to 'open the box' and found the stils. "Your size?" she asked.

"But of course" said I, and, giving her a quick twirl to show off the boots, I said "but these are better for walking."

I don't think she made any further comment as I closed my bag and went into the museum ..... actually I think she had problems keeping her mouth shut !

Xa

Posted Image

Cool looking shoes, X! And an even more entertaining story! You mentioned how those pumps were "twangy" to walk in, is there an appreciable difference between walking in 5 inch heels instead of 4 inchers? Do you have to shorten your stride because of the height? Having yet to wear anything over four myself, I'm understandably curious.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Hi, JeffB, The heels are 'twangy' because they are are quite thin. Although my feet are small, the rest of me rolls in at 180lb (83 Kg), so I have to be careful when walking on thin stils. These are set a little too far forward, so the heel tends to flex and attempt to fold under the shoe (especially when walking up slopes), as evidenced by the back of the tip wearing rapidly. I've been wearing heels above 3.5" for about 15 years now (lots of Bertulli lifts when I was in 'shy mode'), so I'm used to a heel. As it is, 4 inchers don't slow me down at all, 5 inchers, a little, and 5.5 inchers, quite a lot. I've been practicing in Fuss 5" courts for a couple of years now, so these don't present too many problems. Xa

These are set a little too far forward, so the heel tends to flex and attempt to fold under the shoe (especially when walking up slopes), as evidenced by the back of the tip wearing rapidly.

Xa

That's precisely the problem I've experienced with the 4 pairs I've purchased from Fredericks. I suspect it's because they don't have heels designed beyond a size 9, and they're applying them to an 11 shoe, which results in a rake that's rather far forward due to the geometries involved.

I see, said the blind man! Not that I'm any sort of expert, but I would imagine that another dynamic in that "twangy" feel you mentioned would be that women's shoes, especially those with stiletto heels were not designed to support someone of your weight. I clock in at 210 pounds (but I'm 6'2", so I'm properly proportioned for my weight), so I'd probably have to avoid wearing heels over five inches, and certainly any sort of stiletto or pencil heel. Add in the fact that your shoes are set so forward and I can understand the problems you have with them. I've just learned something new! Cool! :D

I found these on eBay.

Posted Image

They run the complete size spectrum from 5 to 17 and is the first time I've ever seen pumps with 5" heels going up to such a large size. For more information on these large sizes, check out:Rainbow Pumps

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I found these on eBay.

Posted Image

They run the complete size spectrum from 5 to 17 and is the first time I've ever seen pumps with 5" heels going up to such a large size. For more information on these large sizes, check out:Rainbow Pumps

Pretty nice shoes, but a wee bit too wild for my taste! :D

They do have them in white and black.....and probably brown, too. But, then again, you did say that you were curious about wearing heels higher than 5", JeffB.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Well, yes, I am curious to find out what it's like to wear five inchers. Perhaps I'll check this out after all. :D

Hi Xaphod. The suede heels are gorgeous! May I inquire as to what you paired them with when you took them out? Also, in regards to that "twangy" feel you mentioned, I think it's related more to the manufacturer than the heel height. As Gene mentioned, I also have a few (dozen) pairs from Frederick's and the heels are a bit more delicate than some of the other brands. I have some 5 1/2's where the heels are about as sturdy as 6/2 platforms.