Shoes in Jewelry?!?

Jezebel

I just wondered about everyone's opinion on this.. I am an art student at California State Fullerton University, where I take classes in jewelry. I have been throwing around the idea of doing jewelry with 'shoe' images. I have done pieces in the past with corsets as my basis of designs, and I felt it was time I incorporated shoes into my jewelry designs. I work out of silver, and use flat sheet of silver and wire, manipulated various ways to make pendants, bracelets, rings, etc. Right now I am working on a corset compact but want to do some 'heel work'...

So many shoes, so little time...

I pay for all my materials but I can use the large machines at school for free. We have many good machines; a sandblaster, hydraulic press, kiln, roller printing machine, ect. I did have to purchase my own small tools though, like hand saw, pliers... After we are done making anything, we keep it ourselves. Our work is photographed and archived in our university's art department, but after that we keep it. Sadly, in our theatre department, costuming majors have to make costumes for classes and do not get to keep anything. We have huge rooms filled with costumes just rotting away on hangers. That would make me sick to spend so much time on something and to have to give it to the school.

surely they should sell some of the items to increase funds for the department or allow the student to purchase their own work at a reduced price. Sorry, just reminds me of a forgotten warehouse where everything is for show only.

For the costuming people? Yes, I agree they should let them keep what they make, but they don't... I've been into the costume storage rooms quite often, as one of my good friends is a costuming major. She's made frock coats for shows, Victorian dresses, and they all have to stay with the school. The worst thing about it is, the 2 costume rooms are so overcrowded, clothing gets damaged quite often. And then when they need a piece for a show, the students will resize it, sometimes totally change the existing piece. I've seen some clothes that have been remade, and the second student may not have been as precise in their sewing as the original maker. Pretty much, the clothes get destroyed. :smile: I wish I could 'liberate' some of those clothes somehow. I would pay to purchase some of the well-made work. I've asked to before, as there was a great Men's Victorian coat there, and it would have fit my fiancee perfectly, but the professor in charge said nothing was for sale. I've seen that coat in the same spot in the room, on the floor, for over 3 years...

Liberation is required in this situation... Make a cheap copy and replace it. Since you mention other clothing being resized and damaged, who will notice? As for what to make with a shoe motif, charms for a charm bracelet, earrings, a pendtant for a necklace, charms for a chain belt, that could be nice. I would suggest ankle bracelet ideas, but that is so close to the actual shoes that it may overpower everything. Talk about too much of a hint.