Should ultra heels have give/spring in them ?

Geoff (Aus)

In the picture section, I have posted a few pictures of our new 7 inch heels. I also stated that the heel does have a little 'give' when my wife walks unlike her 6 inch heels that are rock hard. She was quite supprised that even though they are a ultra high heel, that walking is quite possible and that would have to be related to the heel. I don't think walking would be quite as easy as if the heel was rock hard. Not to get me wrong though, the heel is very strong and secure and does it's job well. What do you prefer? We have never really thought about this before as all my wifes heels upto 6" are rock solid and really are made for walking and wearing a fair bit. Geoff. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-04-03 03:18 ]</font>

Since the heels in extreme heels are more for show and guidance, I cannot say without having worn a pair. I am thinking they should have a tiny bit of give. Too much could be bad. If the entire weight of the wearer is on the balls of the feet, then a heel with too much give would not help keep the wearer upright if balance shifted too much. Either that, or balance would rely upon the forward pressure and not on the heels in any way. Without the experience I cannot say. I would think the level of "give" would have to be quite limited to avoid problems. Sometimes a solid heel helps hold a person best.

I like some "spring" to the heel,it kind of kicks you forward. After you get used to it its ok. You can have to much however, and the heel has to be strong, with a steel spike all the way up.

The deflection of the tip of a cantilever is directly proportional to the cube of it's length. To put this in simple terms, if a 5" heel has a deflection of 1cm for a given load, then a 7" heel of a similar cross section will have a deflection of 2.75cm for the same load; nearly 3 times as much for only a 2" increase in length. I reckon they use the same metal tube stiffener in a 7" heel as they do in a 5". Hence it will be a lot more springy. I don't think it's intended.