What's the most treacherous landscape to navigate in high he

e

Wow, I like perfectionists! I am one, in some areas. I could never live with one though, we'd be at each others' throats! I like my fridge catagorised logically, as opposed to being in alphabetical order! (Or as the Americans say: "alphabetised" - which isn't actually a word) And I don't do the ironing! :lol: So that's me outta that one! Do you find you have to adjust the height of the ironing board depending on what footwear you're wearing?! SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far the hardest places for me to walk in heels are those steel mesh type of floors that are used as bridges between buildings, I guess they do that so the rain can go right through them. I ruined a pair once walking in an area like that. other places that are hard to wear with heels are wet lawns and those little pebbles they use in place of grass, stilettos just do not go good with those little rocks.

I like my fridge catagorised logically, as opposed to being in alphabetical order! (Or as the Americans say: "alphabetised" - which isn't actually a word)

I just like mine full, which doesn't happen that often :(

And I don't do the ironing! :lol: So that's me outta that one! Do you find you have to adjust the height of the ironing board depending on what footwear you're wearing?!

I just stick the ironing board up to the maximum height and go for it. Sadly, mine was designed for people much shorter than I am, so it's actually quite uncomfortable to use it for long periods, heels or no, as I end up bending over all the time. Same with washing up at the sink.

Darn it all to heck.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I just stick the ironing board up to the maximum height and go for it. Sadly, mine was designed for people much shorter than I am, so it's actually quite uncomfortable to use it for long periods, heels or no, as I end up bending over all the time. Same with washing up at the sink.

I have much the same problem with washing up (which I do more often than ironing!). Heels or not, I still find it a pain in the back, quite literally! And also working on the kitchen work surface in the same place for a prolonged period can be a pain in the back, again, with or without heels... I need a customized kitchen!

SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

• 2 months later...

So far, my vote goes to Oxford! It's full of worn stone surfaces, cobbles, cycle prevention kerbs and much other stuff. But I made my way from the park 'n' ride to the centre of Oxford, to the registry office, and back again. The worst moment was nearly losing it on the stairs in Blackwells (the worlds finest bookshop) and clouting my head on the roof of a bus, due to being 3.5" taller than usual. I wore my forgiving London wedgies, as they have a soft rubber wedge heel, and are nice and comfy. (Oh, and the park 'n' ride, as well as being the only one I've ever seen where you pay to park and to ride, was locally known as the park 'n' gone due to the fact that the local car thieves used it as a shopping centre :wink: )

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I agree with Yamyam. I was in Oxford a few weeks ago and stupidly wore the wrong shoes (or the right some of you may say). It was wet and raingin (normal for Oxford) and I slipped from cobble to cobble in my metal tipped 5 inchers. I was all over the place. Know where you are coming from YamYam

I like my fridge catagorised logically, as opposed to being in alphabetical order! (Or as the Americans say: "alphabetised" - which isn't actually a word)

Of course it isn't, because the word is spelled "Alphabetized" :wink:

But enough American bashing, as it does not belong on these boards and is not appreciated by those of us who are very proud of where we live.

On to the topic of the post:

Anywhere with Cobblestones. The cracks and uneveness make them nearly impossible to walk on with heels. Our entire downtown area was "preserved" and it is just full of roads and sidewalks made of cobblestone.

Babe in Heels

I think there could have been a mis-understanding between UK English and US English there - all I meant was how difficult it must be having cobbled streets everywhere you life (ie hard work in the heels every day etc). Nothing more than that. Sorry if you guys read that as something else...

I think there could have been a mis-understanding between UK English and US English there - all I meant was how difficult it must be having cobbled streets everywhere you life (ie hard work in the heels every day etc). Nothing more than that. Sorry if you guys read that as something else...

I understood you perfectly.

Disregarding any regional slang with which I am unfamiliar, there is no difference between UK and US usages in that sentence.

There is a slight mocking tone, but in a friendly way. I wouldn't be disturbed by it, unless I had a very thin skin. Of course being pale and effeminate as a boy, I developed a heavy armor plating early on (and the ability to defend myself).

Michael

It did seem to have a mocking tone, but with the few hours of sleep I manage to receive each day lately, I know I probably did take it the wrong way too quickly. No hard feelings between us! Thin skin? Honey when you do what I do for a living and manage to raise 2 boys as well, you develop the skin of an elephant :wink: xo Babe in Heels

Well, I guess I need to apologize. I actually took exception with the "How do you cope?" part. If seemed sarcastic to me. Apparently I was (very) wrong. Please forgive me for reading more into your post than was intended. sinkem

Thin skin? Honey when you do what I do for a living and manage to raise 2 boys as well, you develop the skin of an elephant

Well you don't look like you have the skin of an elephant...

Michael

Back to the topic of treacherous landscapes... Uneven and poorly maintained sidewalks. 3 years ago, I saw a woman trip and had her heel twist and buckle underneath her because the sidewalk was uneven. She had on the "sure-footed" thick and chunky heels on. Dan

I think the worst has got to be trying to go down an uneven grass slope in the dark, in high heels and a long straight skirt. If you slip or stumble a straight skirt will usually trip you up. :D I am constantly trying to find 4" heel court shoes which have a wide heel base. stiletto heels only work well on level hard surfaces. But they do sound great on the tilled floors in toilets. :wink:

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

I seems like skirts are more treacherous than heels. I've been on grass, mine slopes and found myself at an advantage with stiletto heeled boots as I can dig heel in and get traction. It is not real good for the leather covering of the heel, risk it getting ripped, but I'm in trousers not skirts

Here's some: Mud, that soft stuff that appears after rain. Steep slopes - walking down them. Escalators - ever had a heel caught in the fine grates! Disaaster!! Oh and you have to be carefull going down stairs - trick here turn slightly sideways. :wink:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.