Heel Placement - Your Preference?

genebujold

How do you feel about the rear-ward movement of heels?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the rear-ward movement of heels?

• Not an issue
    • Somewhat concerned - I probably wouldn't wear a pair
    • Definately an issue - Heels should be ergonomically designed

By "heel placement," I'm referring to where the heel strikes the ground. A growing trend over the last couple of years has been to move the heel further back.

Up until the 90's, heel placement has always been lined up with the most forward curve of the back of the ankle, found at the top of the heel cup, as in this boot:

Posted Image

But a couple of years ago, we began seeing heels that were much further back, like the ones found on this boot:

Posted Image

One problem I see with this trend is an increased incidence of ankle problems. When the heel is moved that far back, it increases the torque on the ankle, which increases the stress.

How do you feel about this issue?

pic 1 = nice :) pic 2 = someone was :drinking: heavily :D when they designed those those things! just by the look of that second pic, they look like like they are stressraisers!, pic 1 looks better! later, TXT-1

I'd say it's the same thing as 4"+ heels: not ergonomically justifyable but some insist on wearing them anyway. For me it's the same with heels with alternative than stiletto heel arrangements (most block heels, blades, high heeled biker boots, etc): maybe not optimal for long-term use, but ok for occasions. Personally, I like how these heels look on boots (like the blade heel boots in my avatar!) Bert

What's all the fuss about?

Both styles have engineering problems associated with them. The "80s" pair will have stresses placed on the heel as you plant your forward foot and the second style has the forces on the heel when standing.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

For me the traditional placing of the heel with a curve in at the top is incomparably more elegant and also much easier to walk in. I've tried those newer 'fashion' heels and they feel clumsy and awkward, and they look it! I suppose designers always feel compelled to try something different.

It appears to me that most shoe designers design shoes that are "new and different" in the hopes of starting a new trend that will catch on and become the "fashion of the season." It seems they think "comfort be damned."

However, the first thing I noticed about blade heels, when I got my first pair, was how "vertically" stable they were. Stiletto heels, since their "heel print" is so much smaller, have a tendency to allow your ankles to oscilliate from side to side which to me is part of the pleasure of wearing stiletto heels.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

the second pair(heel back) i prefer. I think it looks slicker. Also when walking the heel feels higher, because it actually is, because it is forced through a longer pivot of the ankle than when it is further forward. i have 2 pairs of stiletto boots. one with the heels back, one middle style. the ones at the back feel higher to walk in

For me the traditional placing of the heel with a curve in at the top is incomparably more elegant and also much easier to walk in. I've tried those newer 'fashion' heels and they feel clumsy and awkward, and they look it!

I suppose designers always feel compelled to try something different.

....Larry Here I have to agree about the elegant look.. Thank You Anne_Louise.

Love those heels!

The two most important factors that make a high heel shoe look sexy to me include; #1 - that the stiletto heel must be perpendicular to the ground, and, #2 - that the arch be narrow (the spacing between the heel and the foot arch). I love the curve at the rear of the shoes.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

For me the traditional placing of the heel with a curve in at the top is incomparably more elegant and also much easier to walk in. I've tried those newer 'fashion' heels and they feel clumsy and awkward, and they look it!

I suppose designers always feel compelled to try something different.

I once tried on a pair of chunky heeled shoes with a heel bottom that curved upwards in back, allowing the wearer to "roll on" to the heel instead of "kerplunk."

Very, smooth!

But I suppose the look wasn't right, because when I went back a week later to buy them, the sales lady said they'd sold out and dropped the line.

Trolldeg - interesting observation about the apparent size of the foot!

i have boots with the full range from right back to well forward, an i can say i prefer it in the middle. let me explain, i feel that if the heel is too far back then it is too difficult to walk, but then if the heel is to forward i feel like i am going to snap it off. but as i have both types i must like both, and i think it look good either way. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

I like the variety of heels that different styles create. The forward placed heel allows for greater sculptural opportunities in the line of the heel. To me the blade heel looks like a cross between the stilleto and the block heel. I personally like the look very much, though have not found a pair of boots (Amercan size 12) with a blade heel. It appears to have evolved from the block heel by paring away the bulk of it toward the rear of the shoe/boot yet not removing any of its width. The blade has the lateral stability of the block heel yet the elegance of the stilleto, particularly when seen from the side. I have seen bladed heels which at first glance appeared to be very slim, tapered high heels. Can't wait to find a pair of blades I can wear to test my intepretation or this styles comfort.

classic style high heel boots

I don't particularly like it when the heel is too far rearward as in the second photo. However I absolutely can't stand heels that are too far forward so that it looks like one of the cleats of a Japanese clog. I think a lot of Chinese Laundry sandals from a few years ago were like this.

Michael