Hurricane Warning (Florida)

Posted on behalf of Gene:

Friends, the evacuation order is out.

If you're in Florida or low-lying coastal waters (within 1/2 mile of seashore or less than 30' above seal level) take heed!!!

http://www.weatherunderground.com/severe.asp

Do not wait, my friends. Find your county in the link I provided, and heed the warnings therein.

I want to see you heeling, not swimming and drowning.

Gené - perspective and stature are complementary

http://www.livejournal.com/users/genebujold/

Well, I dodged a bullit. I'm within 20 miles of the major damage path. I lost power for 24+ hours, and just now got cable back so I can see the damage elsewhere. It's just amazing. Do not take anything for granted, if ever given the choise, stay safe. Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

Same Here. Storm hit at almost dead low tide and we never got the big storm surge predicted. Also the storm just brushed by our place and didn't make landfall until it reached the SC/NC border a couple of hours later. Only 4" of rain and max winds of 45 MPH according to our neighbors that are already back at home. Power was off for about 4 hours. We're going home in the morning.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Glad to hear that you guys werent hit too hard, hope everyone in the path was as lucky.

I live in hurricane territory for 19 years of my life, and was "hit" with three, one of which dropped two very large trees directly on our house. Massive damage, but we were fine.

Firefox - thank you for taking up the call and posting this here. Sorry about broadcasting elsewhere on the board - I saw the other posts.

Fortunately, most people heeded the warning and headed for evacuation. Some, however, didn't, and most of those who died, didn't.

Read more:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/08/17/storms/index.html

I'm perhaps a bit more cautious of the weather than most. Then again, I've seen flash floods nearly drown an unsuspecting fisherman.

And one late evening while in Arkansas, I watched a small tornado touch down smack on top of the hotel, ripping the 150-mph-rated shingles 20 feet behind me to the left while ripping large oak trees 50 feet in front of me to the right.

One guess as to where that put me, and I'm very thankful I was there instead of anywhere else within a 1/4-mile radius.

It was a miracle it only lasted about 10 seconds, or I'd have been tossed along with the rest of the debris!

My eyewitness report and the pictures I took the next morning are a part of National Weather Service history.

So, please forgive me if I overreacted... Given the death toll, however, I don't think I did.

Thanks Bubba. My thoughts were that it was the same guest that wrote trash to Anita but was signing off as Becky to cause even more trouble. To Becky sorry that I put you in the same thought as that guy. Jeff

I was in Port Charlotte yesterday, and will be back today doing repair work at a hospital. The damage and devistation is unbelivable. It is as bad as the new's makes it out to be. It may be years before things are back to 'normal' Jim

Jim, shades of Andrew and Homstead that occurred several years ago. Your efforts to help repair the devistation are greatly appreciated, I am sure. However, save some for later. According to the latest forecasts, this year's hurricane season isn't over yet. Weather gurus predict at least 3 more major storms for the east coast before the end of October.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

:) I'm not really sure what happened there.........I clicked my browser to go to another site.........then I hit the back button and tried to post a reply.............I dunno - technology :D Glad to see that you guys are ok Becks

So many shoes & boots to buy in so little time!!

bubba: actually, was just up to what I normally do this week. Cooling tower repair in this case :D Saturday morning is when I did my share of helping people out locally. The shit didnt hit the fan, the fan hit the shit. Jim

Just a reminder* (*category 1) of more powerful storms in past years and not to get too complacent about warnings. Been five years since a direct hit for us. Charlie had lost most of its punch by the time we had it - Thank God!

classic style high heel boots

Thank goodness that it appears that our forum members faired out O.K. from the recent hurricanes and some are able to help the more unfortunate to rebuild their lives. The devastation was mind boggling to be sure, but even though their lives were spared, many lost everything they owned includig their jobs. It may take years to rebuild the structures and utilities, but there may be a lot of businesses that may be lost from this and may not be able to recover and rebuild. In the long run, things always seem to work out for the best. Everyone thought Pittsburgh was safe from tornadoes and the downtown was until a tornado ripped a circle around the town on June 2, 1998 hitting only the tops of the surrounding hills and to this day some of the damage can still be seen as repairs were never made. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 2 weeks later...

Dressboots:-) Tis the hurricane season and since you evidently live in the area that the storms may choose to come through, you have to accept that eventuality. I am hoping for the safety of both you and your family. Batten down the hatches and keep your heels dry. Best wishes. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Dawn HH: Thank you so much. What you said is all we can do. We have only lived here for 4 years, but this is the first year for hurricanes to threaten Tampa directly, and to have three of them in 4 weeks threaten us is hard to deal with, especially for our three grandaughters who live with us. We'll find something big and heavy to strap ourselves to and hopefully we will still be around so I can post afterwards. I hate "my shoes"!!! :x GM

GeorgiaMarie:-) It seems that no one likes the Comfy Loafers when they start to post, but that is the way that the our feerless leaders have to make you post in order to change your shoes. Hang in there as you are already half-way to getting into another pair of shoes. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 3 weeks later...

Storm shutters are up. Motor home fuled and stocked and we're outta here (for the third time) as soon as I can shut the computer down.