Wearing heels that are too high for you?

Meg-ann

I find myself in heels for which I am probably not ready, usually when my boyfriend buys me heels and I feel obliged to wear them. Usually, my difficulty is in the stilleto shape of the heel on difficult surfaces (outdoor terrain) rather than the height. However, I am learning and I try not to disappoint him by commenting on their difficulty. Take Care, Jen

I find myself in heels for which I am probably not ready, usually when my boyfriend buys me heels and I feel obliged to wear them. Usually, my difficulty is in the stilleto shape of the heel on difficult surfaces (outdoor terrain) rather than the height.

However, I am learning and I try not to disappoint him by commenting on their difficulty.

Take Care,

Jen

Sounds very familiar to me, I was in the same position with my ex boyfriend. Especially on cobblestones stiletto heels can be very tricky to wear. And sometimes of course I wished he was buying me more sandals than pumps 8)

I am sure by trying to learn not to dissapoint him by commenting on their difficulty you will soon find out some nice rewards and side effects as well :D:)

Oh what we do for men! lol I was in Williamsburg Virginia last fall (a colonial town preserved in the 1700s ). I can sympathize about heels on cobblestone or brick. One of the historical interpreters (pretending to have never seen such shoes) said "Madam, those are the finest quality of roach killers I have ever witnessed....they should do nicely when you have trapped the little devils in a corner of a room" Well, my boyfriend just howled and we now often refer to my pumps as "roachkillers". Jen

I occassionally find myself in higher heels than than would be comfortable. I just keep 'em on knowing that if I tak 'em off I'll NEVER get them back on! Namaste', Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

It all depends on my mood, I don't go too extreme simply because I don't want to hurt myself. However I did wear 5 inch heels to work far before I should simply because I wanted too. Man was I in pain at the end of _that_ day heh. I did bring other shoes, but I'm a stubborn cuss at times and refused to take them off. Oh well, it is part of the fun oddly enough. I loved the attention. Jinxie

I think it's inevitable that heel addicts are going to be caught out sometimes! I don't think I ever had problems when my highest were around 41/2", but I proudly wore my first pair of 5" to church many years ago and decided to take a longer walk home to avoid a steep down hill. the short length of hill would have been much less trouble than that extra walk, and my feet really were aching by the time I got home! Just occasionally I've had to park further away from my destination than I expected to. Nowadays my usual 51/2" aren't a problem but if I've decided on one of my few pairs of 6" or my, so far only one pair, 61/2", having to walk more than a few hundred yards extra can take its toll. Usually I try to remember to put something lower in the car just in case, but even then my pride might not let me give in! Worse than walking is having to stand for a long time, and I do try to avoid that if I'm in my highest shoes. Anne Louise

Strangely enough, no. If I put them on and I feel the height is too high for what I might be doing for the day, then I switch. Not that I am going to wear six and a half inch heels anywhere than at home right now, but one never knows. Still, a nice pair of 4 or 5 inchers can go anywhere.

• 1 year later...

Have done especially if a pair goes with the outfit. Then when I get out after a while I think "what was I thinking to wear these out to this place?!?!" I especially seem to do it if they are a gift...hehe

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!

• 4 months later...

Virginie wrote:

Sounds very familiar to me, I was in the same position with my ex boyfriend. Especially on cobblestones stiletto heels can be very tricky to wear. And sometimes of course I wished he was buying me more sandals than pumps

Yes! What is it about men and pumps?!

My boyfriend is the same - he says it's easier for him to choose pumps because they are more straightforward style-wise.

As for heels too high - I made the mistake of wearing some 5.5" chrome spike mules to a band rehearsal this Summer - and was asked to carry a load of bags in and out of the hall! Ooh my feet hurt!!

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

• 2 years later...

Does anyone else ever wear a pair of heels they know are too high for the day's activities, or just higher than you can really wear?

Meg-ann

High on Heels

I wouldn't conciously do it, not normally. Although having said that I ended up doing so recently due to a game I ended up playing with someone from this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

not really but i guess.. it was only a year ago i started wearing heels and every time ive bought a new pair i made sure it was anywhere from a quarter inch to half an inch higher than the last till i reached 4 inches weather i was actually ready for it or not... id go higher if i could find shoes in my size with a higher heel.. with each heel change the first week or so really hurt, but after that it was fine..

My favourite heel height is 6" but I have to think carefully about when to wear them and I normally put a spare pair in my glovebox if, like a couple of people say, I have to park further away than expected. I never ever have problems with 5" heels so if I am not sure what the night is going to entail, I stick a pair of those on. Also, wedges are good for long nights out coz they're still sexy as hell but I could happily go hiking in them.

it seems that we have all done the 'fashion before function' right?

yeah...been there and done that

Yep count me in aswell, no pain no gain.

"Even when I'm a mess, I put on a vest... with an S on my chest, oh yes.. I'm a Superwoman.. "

Like some people would say, "great pain, comes great pleasure". If you're the kinky type that is. I have to say I'm one of them. The highest heel I'm trying to master are those 7 inchers. Definitely not there yet, but I feel very comfortable in 5.5" and comfortable in 6" too, but can't run too much in them.

"I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot"--Marilyn Monroe

It really depends on the shoes. Most 5" heels I can wear just fine, but much higher than that and I can run into problem. I bought a new pair of pumps with 5.5" heels a couple months ago and had a friend drop my off at the mall. We were planning on meeting later at a restaurant outside the far end of the mall. Well, it was getting hard to walk 2 hours later when I reached the end of the mall. My feet were already hurting. I walked outside and realized the restaurant was down the road about half a mile. I tried to call her but my cell phone was dead. There was not much I could do other than walk to meet her. It was difficult, but I made it :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Esther. It's nice to see another member getting permanently heeled. I'm stuck on 6" myself but will occasionaly wear 5.5" to work simply because I can run in them if I have to. Very comfortable, but 6" is just comfortable and sexy all at the same time---just not able to run in them as well as I am wearing 6". 7" heels, I just wear around the house for fun sometimes.

"I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot"--Marilyn Monroe

Quite often we get deceived trying shoes on in shops. Walking on the strret in them is different. I recently had a pair of 7 inch heeled boots made in London - really difficult to wear on the street but I persevere. Not a smart purchase.

I don't purposely run in my heels. When I'm in a rush, you'll catch me running in my heels. Especially at work. I wear high heels pretty much all day and sometimes, all through the night. But lately, I'm considering ballet shoes to wear when I sleep too. In the meantime, the 7" keep me busy around the house. Oh boy, are they hard to walk in. I can probably take about 12 steps before I have to hold on to something. It's an improvement though!!! Before, it was much less. As for jogging for leisure exercise, I never wear heels. I have regular shoes for that but I can't wear them long because my feet will start to hurt. I have to go back to wearing heels again. In my avatar for example: that's me bowling. I have my heels with me in a bag so after I finish the game, I put them back on when we're outside. Too bad the manager there wouldn't let me wear my stilettos, lol.

• 2 months later...

went out with a few friends...really 'metro' to a few clubs and wore a pair of 5" stiletto pumps that I knew were kinda high and gonna be rough but they went with my outfit, I had just got them, and I had a few drinks and felt brave....lol

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!

• 1 month later...

Many times I wear a higher heel and figure I have a nice dinner but if it turns into a romantic walk with the hubby after dinner and you are 6 inch heels then it can be tough. Since I cannot really walk barefoot unless I am on my toes it provides not option but to try and not kill myself. I can do anything but run track in a 4 inch but a 5 is more for dinner and a 6 is only for short term use and not all day wear.:o

I wore 5" heels to a wedding, not knowing that the reception afterwards meant a "lawn party." I tried to stay sitting or on the pavement, but I had to do a certain amount of socializing, which meant walking and standing on the grass. My feet and ankles can only take so much before I start sinking. I felt like a teenaged girl without any practice walking in heels--sinking into the ground all over the place. At work I sometimes wear sandals with low spike heels (peg or kitten). We have a few picnic tables for breaks on the grass areas behind the building. I don't mind driving those heels in, but it's embarrasing with five-inch heels.