Retailers Caught Flat-Footed By Growth of Women's Feet

hoverfly

..."Marck Jankowski, executive vice president at Steven Madden Ltd., says retailers must buy shoes by the dozen, typically a mix the most popular sizes. Manufacturers don't make more big sizes because of cost. Larger shoes can use twice as much leather as smaller ones. For each additional size and half-size, makers must create a new last, or mold, further ratcheting up costs by tens of thousands of dollars per style."... What a load of crap. Most of the cost of making a shoe is in the manufacture, the main reason that "cheaper" shoes are made from PU is because it is easier to work with. Lasts cost between £40 and £100 each and if a manufacturer is only making "a few pairs at a time" then they only need to get a couple of lasts!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Women are definitely getting larger. Back in the sixties size 7 UK was the largest size that you could get in an average ladies shoe shop.. Dress sizes have also changed, Size 16 was the largest size that you could buy in a dress shop, anything larger was called outsize and sold in special shops for large ladies. The shape of women has also changed as well. If you bought a straight skirt back in the late fifties you could expect the waist to be 12 inches smaller than the hips, now it is only 10 inches. As women get larger, dress sizes are getting larger with them. What used to be a size 12 is now a 14 or 16, size 8 or 10 is the new size 12.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

That article was interesting, and everybody except for shoe stockists seem to have known about it for years. However, one sentence caught my eye, and I thought it was somewhat ironic.

"Alexa Manuel, a 6-foot-4-inch 13-year-old from Eden Prairie, Minn., says she hasn't found shoes -- in size 15 -- to wear to church in years. She says she's embarrassed to shop for sneakers and sandals in the men's department. "Especially at my age," she says, "all girls really want to do is just fit in.""

Lol, I wonder if anybody in the gents she dept bats an eye because she is shopping there, or calls her dereogatory names because she is wearing mens shoes? and I guess we would all agree with the sentiment about "fitting in"

Wow! 6'4" tall at 13? Whew, she's going to be a real "Paula Bunyon" when she's full grown. :roll: Talk about not fitting in......anywhere.

Paula's brother Paul and his faithful sidekick, Babe, the blue ox:

Posted Image

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

it would be handy for the main shops to not stop at uk8 and use a 9, then my problems between a maybe tight or small 8 would be solved

Too right Daz, I have the same problems. Looking through the new Next styles on line, they seem to have plenty going to a 9. Noticed a pair of spikey boots that are tempting...

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

I have noticed over the years more companies are offering larger sizes but not fast enough. The article makes good point though many manufacturers still seem to be afraid to take that first step to larger sizes. Saying it is not cost effective is an old excuse. It rings with some truth but: If I wait to order a boot in a large size, I am out of luck. I learned years ago if I see a boot (in a catalog) I want, to snap it up fast. The vendor is likely not to restock when the size 12's are gone. Shoes/boots go on sale: guess what sizes are left? 6 - 8. the aritcle points to this issue. I have to feel bad for women with larger shoe sizes. Having big feet is not typically a compliment for a woman, much less not being able to easily shop for shoes. Had a female friend with a size 10 foot who told me she had to be ready to buy with no second thoughts if it fit, as stores got very few of her size in.

classic style high heel boots

I agree, Last year in the fall I happened to go to Wal-Mart and find, that the size 12 womens shoes had just been stocked with a new shipment. The selection was wonderful several styles and colors and they all fit my feet. There was a crowd of several women as well as a couple of men picking through them. I bought only a couple of pairs, then went back the following week. The size 12 section was cleaned out. Only a few pairs of ugly loafers were left. I asked the clerk if more were coming in. See said that she had placed a order for more size 12 shoes and was surprised at how fast the shipment sold out. I checked back several times over the next month or so and unfortunately the new shipment never arrived.