Truth in News - Progress in Iraq?

When I said that all news media outlets do this I was referring to media outlets all over the world. Not just America.

Unless you expect all of us to believe that this only happens in America?

Remember what I said: ALL NEWS MEDIA IS BIASED!

ALL: as in the entire world, not just America!

All media is biased, but that is not the issue. The issue is whether all news channels around the world have their presenters spewing their personal oppinions openly, and this is not the case.

So what? Why not a Swedish news media outlet. A British outlet? Etc.....

Why just the American news channel?

Because Fox News is the only news channel I have access to that has this practice. There's no Bill O'Reilly on BBC world or the Swedish news channels.

http://www.outfoxed.org/

I very well know that you were answering Virgine's question. However you missed the point of my question.

Sit back, relax, and pretend that the rest of us do not know anything about the world news media.

Why is it important for all of us to know that Fow News (in specific) was the first network to call Florida for Bush?

It's not. But obviously it was for Virgine.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of being repetative, I will post my earlier comments for TD's edification.

Reporters on Fox -- the men and women that report news stories like Laurie Dhue or Lauren Green -- report factually as the details become known. Commentators like Sean Hannity and Alan Colmes, Neil Cavuto and John Gibson are known for their personal preference and slant (spin) news from their points of view. Fox says they're fair and balanced because they supposedly have an equal number of commentators and guests for all sides of an issue.

Bill O'Reilly, on the other hand, is a highly opinionated commentator who supposidly doesn't let his guests "propagandize" issues. His objective (self-stated) is to only discuss facts of issues.....without the "spin". Some of the time he succeeds.

Now, that being said (again), the actual news reported on Fox is factual and up to date. While details might change as new information becomes available (what they call "developing news"), I would trust Fox's reporting far more than any of the other cable or network news organizations. Just because their news is reported without any editorial spin. (The facts, mam; Just the facts!)

I wouldn't trust any foreign news organization at all because of their obvious bias against the United States and all things American. Most of them wouldn't know the truth if it slapped them in the face (especially the French).

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

""Outfoxed" examines how media empires, led by Rupert Murdoch's Fox News, have been running a "race to the bottom" in television news. This film provides an in-depth look at Fox News and the dangers of ever-enlarging corporations taking control of the public's right to know.

The film explores Murdoch's burgeoning kingdom and the impact on society when a broad swath of media is controlled by one person.

Media experts, including Walter Cronkite, Jeff Cohen (FAIR) Bob McChesney (Free Press), Chellie Pingree (Common Cause), Jeff Chester (Center for Digital Democracy) and David Brock (Media Matters) provide context and guidance for the story of Fox News and its effect on society.

This documentary also reveals the secrets of Former Fox news producers, reporters, bookers and writers who expose what it's like to work for Fox News. These former Fox employees talk about how they were forced to push a "right-wing" point of view or risk their jobs. Some have even chosen to remain anonymous in order to protect their current livelihoods. As one employee said "There's no sense of integrity as far as having a line that can't be crossed."

Director/Producer Robert Greenwald has produced and/or directed 53 television movies, miniseries and features. He is the director of Uncovered and the Executive Producer of the UN series - Unprecedented, Uncovered and the soon to be released Unconstitutional.

Running Time: 77 minutes"

http://www.outfoxed.org/

Now, that being said (again), the actual news reported on Fox is factual and up to date. While details might change as new information becomes available (what they call "developing news"), I would trust Fox's reporting far more than any of the other cable or network news organizations. Just because their news is reported without any editorial spin. (The facts, mam; Just the facts!).

All news is reported with a slant. It isn't deliberate in the vast majority of cases but it cannot be avoided. The average news story has a maximum of 3 minutes air time per bulletin and most stories are aired for less than 30 seconds so of course it has to be heavily edited.

I wouldn't trust any foreign news organization at all because of their obvious bias against the United States and all things American. Most of them wouldn't know the truth if it slapped them in the face (especially the French).

I don't think this is neccessarily true. The BBC seems to be markedly pro-American at the moment. As I think we all agree, all news is reported with some kind of slant whether you agree with the message or not and some foreign news is going to be "anti-american" if it means that to be pro-american is incompatible with their underlying message.

After all, this is why certain people buy certain newspapers and think that other popular mastheads are "rags". BTW The Independent is far from living up to its name!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I saw a link to the Democratic (?) Peoples Republic of North Korea news portal a while back and had a look at some of the headlines making the news in Pyonyang - this is a case of extreme political twisting of the news, blatant propaganda in other words. It does make me think that we are lucky to debate the in's and out's of bias between certain papers or news outlets when all they have is what the state will allow them to know (i.e. very little). When that big explosion happened a few months back when some train carrying fertiliser or fuel went up, they suppressed/denied all news of it for three days and wouldn't allow any aid agencies in. I have no complaint against Fox news or any other news outlet (apart from North Korea's obviously) as long as there are a wide range of choices on where you get your news from (checks and balances again) so that people can make their own informed opinion, especially when so many actions or decisions made these days have global consequences.

Because Fox News is the only news channel I have access to that has this practice. There's no Bill O'Reilly on BBC world or the Swedish news channels.

So out of all of the world news media outlets this only happens on one American news channel?

This does not happen anywhere else? Everyone else is exempt from this practice? :roll:

The issue is whether all news channels around the world have their presenters spewing their personal oppinions openly, and this is not the case.

Don't get me wrong here. I understand what you are saying. Based on what I have seen Fox News anchors do, at times, express their own personal opinions.

Really, why should we be worried about news anchors expresssing their own personal opinions?

I don't think anyone should be bothered about a news reporter mixing in his (or her) opinion as long as we are not naive enough to believe that this is not happening. After all, isn't that what an editorial is? The problem is, the media (esp. the Tabloid press) can at times whip up mass hysteria leading to riots etc. A few years ago there was a major anti-paedophile witch hunt here with a lot of innocent people getting hurt because they had a similar sounding name to those listed. Even a paediatrician was attacked because her local morons didn't know what the word meant! As individuals people are remarkably astute but as a group remarkably stupid and they get more stupid as the group gets larger!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I don't think anyone should be bothered about a news reporter mixing in his (or her) opinion................

Well, this is nice to hear but I am going to bother Trolldeg until he cannot take it any more. For one reason, of course!

To be completely honest with you, I could care less what Fox News does in reporting the news.

Trolldeg HAS an issue with Fox News and the Rupert Murdoch news empire. All I am doing is trying to find out what that issue is and to be honest with you I don't think that it has anyting to do with the anchors at Fox News expressing their opinions openly. I am trying to probe for information.

When I find out what the real issue is from him I will stop.

However, up to this very moment, he has not told me what the real issue is nor has he come to the point about anything.

He has given us a lot of good information about Fox News and the Rupert Murdoch empire, yet, there is something missing here.......

So out of all of the world news media outlets this only happens on one American news channel?

If you're going to misread my posts deliberately I see no point in discussing this further.

As previously stated, Fox News is the only american news channel I have access to, so I have absolutely no idea if this is a common practice on other american news channels. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were just the same.

Trust me, I am not misreading anything! I have read everything you have written in perfect detail and I am just asking some very logical questions based on what you have written. These are questions that you don't want to answer for some reason.

You are the only person here who is misreading things.

Here is an example:

If you're going to misread my posts deliberately I see no point in discussing this further.

As previously stated, Fox News is the only american news channel I have access to, so I have absolutely no idea if this is a common practice on other american news channels. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were just the same.

In my statement, you misread the word "WORLD". There are many media outlets around the world that have their anchors expressing their own opinions. I have seen it. You have journalsits in England who express their own opinions on TV. You have journalsits in Mexico, Canada, and Italy who express their own opinions on TV. For God's sake, Al Jazeera does it. The list goes on and on.

It is not just something practiced by American media news outlet like you have stated.

The following statement is definitelyFALSE:

The issue is whether all news channels around the world have their presenters spewing their personal oppinions openly, and this is not the case.

It is true. No, I don't have to read it again. All news media outlets in every country. All news media outlets in England, Sweeden, Russia, America, etc. You always have someone in these media oullets in these countries expressing their opinion. That is the beauty of living in a free world. I really don't care if it is television or radio. ALL! As in Everything, Everyone, Everybody, Whole, Entiety, Mass, Every Part, Every Bit. What else to you want me to say? I have even seen clips (on The History Channel) of North Korean anchor people openly expressing their hatred for America on North Korean TV.

Anyone who's life's work is steadily acquiring all the news outlet in the world is someone to beware of. There could come a day when he is not just reporting the news but making it.

TD wrote:

My question is where is TD getting another version of the news to which he can compair with Fox News?

In order to compair something, you have to have at least one other example to tell the difference between them..... And then, how does TD know that the presenter is reporting something other than the news (I've already explained the difference between a presenter reporting a story about a natural disaster somewhere in the world opposed to a news analysists that reports things based on his opinion.)

Is his other source a Swedish news organizaton? And, if it is, what guarentee does he have that everything he hears or sees on the Swedish outlets is the absolute truth and isn't flavored with the Swedish Government's biasses?

For those that aren't aware, some people on the fact of this earth have a strong anti-American, anti-Bush bias. A news reporter could say that George Bush is responsible for the slaughter of two thirds of Sweden's raindeer population and TD would believe it. The fact there the report isn't true, is of no consequence. It's because the charge is so heinous and Bush is so evil, in these people's minds, it must be true.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

No. Not in the way practised by Fox News, and supposedly other american news channels.

What do you mean NO?

The BBC has/had Andrew Gilligan who was probably 10 times worse than Fox's Bill O'Reilly.

Have you been watching Al Jazeera lately? That outlet is probably 20 times worse in openly expressing its anti-American hatred. Al Jazeera makes Fox News look like the Disney Channel in the way its anchors express their opinions.

So you see, it is not just the American news channels who do this. Why are you having such a hard time in understanding this? To me, it is a pretty simple concept.

By the way, why do you keep doging my question:

What is so wrong with any media outlet having their anchors presenting their opinions in an open manner??

Anyone who's life's work is steadily acquiring all the news outlet in the world is someone to beware of. There could come a day when he is not just reporting the news but making it.

So what? I am an highly educated individual who can think for himself. I can tell what is right and what is bogus.

You as an educated individual should be to tell right from wrong. Who cares if Murdoch wants to aquire all of the news outlets? Let him! That is freedom and pure capitalism at work here.

When I say "YOU" I am talking about everyone as a whole, not just Dr. Shoe.

Unless, you don't want to think for yourself and believe everything that you hear and read from various media sources?

So what? I am an highly educated individual who can think for himself. I can tell what is right and what is bogus.

You as an educated individual should be to tell right from wrong. Who cares if Murdoch wants to aquire all of the news outlets? Let him! That is freedom and pure capitalism at work here.

When I say "YOU" I am talking about everyone as a whole, not just Dr. Shoe.

Unless, you don't want to think for yourself and believe everything that you hear and read from various media sources?

This is my point, as long as there is a diversity of bias in the news then we can balance opposing views and come to our own conclusions. If all the news was owned by one individual then we no longer have the natural checks and balances in place.

If all the news was owned by one individual then we no longer have the natural checks and balances in place.

You are right to some extent.

However, when you think about this logically, the odds of one person owning all the news media outlets are extremely small.

You would probably be more likely to win the lottery or to be hit by lightning.

Therefore, you really don't have to worry about checks and balances.

In my 51 years on planet Earth, I have never been a fan of "news", whether TV, newspaper, magazine, internet, or radio. You might, incorrectly, refer to me as a newsphobe--I'm not afraid of it, I just have the same attitude toward it as I do towards team sports and soap operas--why bother--in general, the stories stay the same, only the names change. I have found that the most neutral, unbiased news reporting, at least as far as availability on the internet is concerned, is from reuters.com. When it was only a wire news service, newspaper stories originating from them had far less bias than either "AP" or "UPI". If you notice bias in FOX or CNN (sort of ideological opposites, if you know what I mean), why not just "avoid the rush" completely and fish somewhere else (such as Reuters)??

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

CNN is referred to and the "Clinton News Network" by almost everyone here in the USA because of it's outlandish insistance to approve of everything Clinton did, even lie under oath.

I must admit that on the face of it reuters seems to be the least biased of the lot however my point is that news can never be unbiased as the reporter has to be selective in what they report otherwise papers will run to 400 pages and TV news would last 3 hours or more. It isn't that the agency is being untruthful or dishonest, just selecting the elements of the truth that sits best with them. This is my last post on the matter. :roll:

So you see, it is not just the American news channels who do this. Why are you having such a hard time in understanding this? To me, it is a pretty simple concept.

It seems like it is you who's having a hard time understanding. Let me see if I can make this simple enough for you:

To verify your statement, you have to watch every news channel in the world.

To verify my statment, I only have to find one news channel that doesn't do this.

To verify my statment, I only have to find one news channel that doesn't do this.

This means absolutely nothing. Nor does it make any logical sense.

You are not paying attention and you are taking things out of context.

Just because one channel does not do this it does not all imply that the rest of them do not. I just gave you a couple of examples of channels that do.

You do not have to watch all the news channels in the world. The point being that this is not something practiced by only American news outlets like you have implied. It goes on in other countries also. One more time, it is not just America.

By the way, back to the point of all of this, why do you keep doging my question:

What is so wrong with any media outlet having their anchors presenting their opinions in an open manner??

Why are you having such a hard time answering this question?

All I want is a simple answer. What is the problem in doing this?

To verify your statement, you have to watch every news channel in the world.

Just to set things straight, I completely understand what you are trying to say here.

However, what you have written here is not the point of this debate.

What you have written here is just another "Red Herring" diversonary tactic away from the real issue currently at hand.