Replacing a broken Zipper - please help

Dear one and all I am writing this sessage in the hope that someone could shed some light on a HUGE problem that I have got. The zips on one of my faveroute pair of Crotch high boots has broken and everytime I try to zip it up it unzips itself beneath the zip tag as it goes up. These are one of my fav pairs of boots and I am dredding not being able to do anything with them as they are custom made and I wear them alot around the house as they are comfy as hell. All I ask of the wonderful people who come to this site is there anyone who will know what to do? Would a normal shoe repair place be able to help? Please let me know. Thanking you. Yours Crushinboots Message moved to repair forum and title edited to make it clear what the topic relates to. FF

Would a normal shoe repair place be able to help?

Please let me know.

Crushinboots

Yes, simply put they will cut out the old zipper and install a new one.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I have had zippers replace on boots. The cobbler generally puts in a better zipper then the original. They may have to special order a zipper that long, so it may take a little longer then normal.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

It's actually not too difficult to cut the old zip out and sew in a new one. Normally leather working needs special holes made with an awl, but in this case you can clean out the the old holes in the leather and use those. If you don't trust your sewing skills, even a competant dress maker or tailor should be able to do it.

My experience has been that if one zipper failed, the seconf failure is close at hand. Have the cobbler replace both zippers. While the boots are in for repart, check the heel tips to.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Can't really add anything to any of these posts except to say that if you're going to a dressmaker, you might as well go to an expert ie a shoemaker. Moreover, shoe zips are different from clothing ones as the teeth are usually a coarser pitch making them stronger.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The zips may be different, but sewing them in is pretty similar. I'd say give it a try. Sewing is not a difficult skill to learn. Pay attention to regularity of the holes, and where the needle is entering and leaving the work. Go slowly and get it right before you complete the stich. Pull your stitches tight, use a strong thick thread and a strong stitch such as back stitch.

The main problem is the fact that hand sewing (unless done properly with two needles) is not a strong as a machine stitch.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem once. It was my fault as I got the zipper stuck about half way up, and in forcing it down, it got all confused and would not work correctly again. Well, I was very hesitant to go to a local shoe repair shop. I was wondering how many crotch high boots they see. Anyway, the repair man only told me that he would have to order a new zipper as he had none that long. No surprise there. A week later and the boot was better then new, with a nicer and stronger looking zipper. The only comments the repair man had were, "this was a lot more work than I first thought" , and he commented on how nice the boots were. So go ahead, get them fixed.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

• 2 months later...

the main thing to know about zippers is that the place it gets caught the most is where it might wear out first...If you get jammed at the start it will fail there, if it gets caught on the material at the calf, it might fail there. The slider (the part that you grab and pull up the zipper) sometimes fails. You may only have to replace the slider, it just has to be taken apart at the bottom, and a new slider slid onto the zipper tape, then glued and sewn back in. (*listen carefully*) some shoemakers don't want to do that because they want the money for a new zipper. (Sometimes it is hard to match the slider to the zipper, if it is a cheaper boot, using one of a kind zipper) Another trick if the zipper is occasionally seperating, is to slide the slider up to where you can see it good, and then take a pair of pliers. Carefully use the pliers to SLIGHTLY tighten each side of the slider equally, (NOT THE MIDDLE Part that holds the handle part) This tightens the slide and may be the reason why it is seperating, because it is kinda sprung. this is a good test to see if it is the slider is bad, rather than the zipper tape good luck everyone