modifying heels for disabled wife

Hi I found this foum rcently and maybe someone can help me. Both my wife and I have an intrest in high heels, but she is disabled and wears a calliper (brace) to allow her to walk. this obviously limits the type of shoes she can wear. Has anybody got any ideas on how to attach a calliper to a high heeled shoe?

• 4 months later...

Usually the brace is copper riveted to the heel area of the shoe...usually the shank area and heel that has a leather insole, and rigid heel counter. You have to remove the heel and find a way to reattach the heel. On Mens or womens orthopedic shoes, that is not usually a problem because the shoes are made with orthopedics in mind, and you can cut a groove into the heel, and reattach the heel and sole. With high heels, the brace installed, there would be practically no way to reattach a heel block, unless you would find a way to attach the brace to the heel block it self.(which would destroy the intended look of the heel, and secondly, high heels aren't very steady)You would have to find a way to attach the heel all the way through the insole, metal brace, and into the heel itself...If you could find a way to do that, You would be a wizard.

• 2 years later...

Hello

You must try with a pair of wedge shoes. It's more easy to attach the brace on this type of sole(wood /cork)

Good look

This is really a good one for Dr. Shoe. However, I'm inclined to agree with the wedge shoe suggestion. If the wife really needs the type of brace described, I seriously doubt that she will get much enjoyment out of stilettoes with this kind of modification. Good Luck, and let us know how things turn out.8)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

A friend of mine is in exactly the same position and recently came to London to have a pair of boots made with a built in caliper.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Now that's a blast from the past, I didn't think this one would re-surface. I managed to come up with a workable solution by fitting a block drilled to accept the calliper spurs mounted on a plate between the heel and sole (at the top of the heel) this worked reasonably well and looked good, and helped fulfill one of my wifes dreams.