A new if painful way of earning money from high-heels

Calv

There's a story in todays Daily Telegraph newspaper which I feel is worth posting. It concerns a female RAF officer who started her training at the officers college at RAF Cranwell in August 1996. Three days after joining she was told to dress smartly for the oath of allegiance ceremony which included her wearing high heels (it doesn't say how high). After this she was carring her backpack to an accomodation block, when told to "make haste" by a senior officer she started to run, tripped and ruptured her achilles tendon. She has spent two yars in an RAF rehabilitation unit and her ankle is still not right. She was given a short commission flying a desk in the supplies administration dept and the RAF have refused to extend her commission as she is deemed to be medically unfit. She has just won a civil action against the RAF who have finally accepted liability and is expected to win damages of £200,000. All because she was told to run in her high heels. In our politically correct nanny state times expect to see high heels banned from the military services soon. I'm not sure if there is a link on the net anywhere.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Ugh.... :smile: I feel sorry for her. Now would it make sense if you are in military dress uniform should you be wearing more sensible dress shoes? I seen women in the U.S. Military wearing heels as part of their dress uniform. But not very high(2, 2.5")heels and there are the chunky kind. Maybe there are the same as in the RAF? Maybe she did not wear heels in her entire life and was inexperienced? Or who ever gave that order to pick it up made a bad decision? What ever happened it seemed there was a lack of conmen sense here. Oh well, removing them for the uniform might be a blessing for some.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full!!! :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-30 01:05 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I think the whole issue of the case is that she was ordered to run whilst wearing heels. The article doen't mention the height of her heels. I am not sure whether she was even in uniform at the time. One thing is certain though, for the stupidity of a senior officer the life of a young female officer has been turned upside down which is why the RAF has been found at fault.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Very sad state of affairs, another example of the litigeous society we live in. Oh Laurie, think the RAF will pay, that's the way this stuff works. Inga :smile: _________________ HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-03-30 08:05 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

If I remember rightly, the officer responsible for the order was reprimanded. No further action will be taken, although that incident will remain as a black spot on his record. RAF Cranwell, for those who don't know, is a flight training school. It also used to be home to the Red Arrows, who have moved to RAF Waddington near Lincoln. A total move of approx 35 miles! Very little in terms of flying time, but given that Waddington is a larger facility and was only flying AWACS it seemed to be a good move. The woman in question still has problems with her ankle and is still wearing flat shoes. :smile: Shame!

Actually, Cranwell is a base for training all RAF officers whether they fly or not. BTW it brings back memories of bombing around the Show Jumping course and nearly winning the competition!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Actually, wearing of heels by women in the US military is not very common these days. I know you do NOT want to be wearing heels on most US Navy ships, as the grated deck plating would destroy 'em quickly!

The appropropriate punishment for the officer who gave the order would have been to order HIM to "dress smartly" and then force HIM to run carrying his backpack in a similar pair of heels. I have always felt that there should be some sort of law that required males to wear high heels at least once a month for a day. If the officer in question had had any experience as to what it is like to wear them, he would never have given the order in the first place!

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks