Self-Defence

Many of you may not be aware of this, but I'm a self-defence instructor. I posted the following on another board, and am including it here for your edification: Question: If I were to look into the purchase of a firearm for personal protection, what would you suggest? Personally, I've always been partial to a 9mm as having good power without excessive size. Answer: For close-quarters hand-to-hand combat, nothing beats a sword [the guy's original posted referenced that he was "heading to the ren faire.") In less time than it takes for your opponent to unzip a belly pack you can pierce his heart. Then again, there's a reason the handgun is the weapon of choice, not the sword, and the difference in the training required to be effective isn't it. The .357 magnum shell will shock you, and her, in it's explosive power. But it's what's required to stop your opponent. Numerous studies have shown a 9mm doesn't do nearly as well. So long as you can point, shoot, and defeat your target, you'll beat any ninja on the plant. The problem is that most ninja can cover 40 yards in about 5 seconds, which happens to be the same amount of time it takes a well-trained concealed weapons-carrying individual to go from expression of danger to pulling the trigger. The bottom line is that when faced with a master of all weapons, no weapon will save you. However, when faced with an untrained assailant, a firearm can indeed give you a distinct advantage - provided you don't rely upon the firearm itself to get you out of the jam. I know many ladies who've mastered the .357, and carry the weapons in their purses. They can accurately rattle off six rounds in less than 4 seconds, and that includes the time it takes them to draw the weapon from their purse. Then again, they're trained, which brings to mind another point: No weapon is effective without training, and that includes guard dogs. With training, however, most weapons, no matter how inconceivably ridiculous (including chairs, magazines, pencils, clothes, etc.), become highly effective weapons. Just watch a Jackie Chan movie. Although it's a movie, the point was well-taken - although I was of slight at around 160 pounds, I once defeated an extremely well-muscled 250-pound assailant with my right elbow. In short, I shattered his jaw, despite his incredible advantage in terms of brute strength (he was a defensive linesman for a college football team). I was trained. He wasn't. Firearms training is simple: 1. Attend a firearms safety course. Your local police, sherrifs, or firearms dealer will be happy to hook you up. If you don't like "the man," then stick with the firearms dealer. This will teach you how to safely load, unload, discharge, handle, and store a firearm. It is absolutely imperative you and your spouse know this! Don't think it's "stupid." Evidently the government (CIA, FBI, BATF, other Federal, State, and Local police departments and all branches of the military don't think it's "stupid," as all of them require those who're authorized to carry weapons to attend a safety course on an annual, biannual, or triannual basis, depending upon how often the individuals are expected to use their weapons. 2. Attend a self-defense course. Most communities schedule these through the police and sherrif's office, so they're your best point of contact. The best defence against any assailant is to avoid them. That's what this course teaches you how to do, as well as what to do when you can't avoid them. Most of the time, even though you have a weapon, the assailant will be on you in less time that it takes you to draw your weapon. Again, this course is critical, as it provides the time you need to draw your weapon. It teaches you to "shape the battlefield" so that you can get away (highly desired) or fight effectively (often a loosing battle, but not so bad if your actions result in you having enough time to draw your weapon). 3. Practice. Don't assume that just because you went to an extensive self-defence training school that you can defeat someone who's been on the streets for years! For all you know, they're a police academy drop-out, tai-kwon-do blackbelt wannabe (or are), or other such animal. But if you're properly trained, and armed, (notice I put the "training" part first...), then your odds of outliving your assailant have vastly improved. 4. Practice. Notice the emphasis! Yes - it's that important. And it doesn't take going to more classes. Just hit the firing range, think like an assailant, and learn to outthink him. Just don't go overboard. We don't want Pizza Hut delivery boys going to heaven while good wives, moms, and girlfriends go to jail! But we do want them prepared to do their worst to bad guys who're really bad guys.

Another, for my friends here:

On "martial arts" a friend of mine was the Thai Women's Karate Champion - Olympic Gold Medal standard. Her stated expert belief was that her Karate skills were completely useless in any realistic setting. They were unbeatable on a display stage and unbeatable in competition setting but useless when it came to the real world. Their only virtue was that they'd taught her that she could fight if she had to. Preferably with a gun. Another friend of mine is a professional corrections officer in Alaska. His opinion, based on speaking to convicted felons was that said felons greatly approved of women's unarmed self defense classes - it gave women the confidence to fight without the ability. The only thing they feared were armed citizens.

This is consistant with my experience. Although my assailant wasn't skilled in the art of hand to hand combat, he was a highly valued football player at a major university, and he outweighed me by 90 pounds.

Yet I walked away with a few bruises while he walked away with a jaw broken in three places!

Why?

Training.

He absolutely had me in the beginning. He easily could have killed me. Because he was untrained, however, he left himself wide open to a simple facial attack, which, when executed, ended the fight in less than half a second.

I met him a year later, at a fraternity party. He said he was sorry. I said I was, too.

We didn't become friends (didn't ever see each other after that) but it nevertheless underscores this point: Although sizes DOES matter, training matters more.

genebujold; You brought up some great points regarding unarmed and armed self-defense. Allow me to add a few things I was taught in my law enforcement street survival training. The first thing you should do is to be always aware of your surroundings and the people nearby. You can do this by constantly surveying your location, or using tricks like observing reflections in glass windows. If something or someone makes you feel uncomfortable, take some kind of precautionary action. This may be as simple as changing your route or your location. Probably the best thing a person can do is to plan ahead and anticipate. Do this before trouble begins. When under pressure (such as during an attack), your mind will unconsciously resort to what you planned beforehand, thereby gaining you valuable seconds of reaction time, and increasing your chances for a successful outcome. Also remember, you don't have to fight to defend yourself. Sometimes running away is the best option. Potential victims unconsciously help offenders. Those who appear to be meek and avoid eye contact are often chosen over someone who appears to be confident and is obviously observant. Here are some facts that should be considered if you plan on using a firearm to defend yourself: 1 - Contact your police department or research in the library to learn what the law says about firearms and when you can use them. Do this for all areas where you plan on taking your firearm. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. 2 - If your location requires a gun permit, apply for one. 3 - The closer you are to the offender, the better the chance he or she has in trying to disarm you. 4 - You don't have to draw your weapon to fire it. You can gain valuable time shooting through your pocket or purse. 5 - Semi-automatic handguns have a greater chance of jamming than a revolver. Keeping your weapon and ammunition clean might minimize this problem. 6 - Semi-automatic handguns can fire more bullets than revolvers before reloading. 7 - Remember, you are legally responsible for all of the bullets you fire and where they end up. 8 - Never point a firearm unless you intend to use it. 9 - Be sure of your target. If you are not sure, do not fire. DISCLAIMER Please understand that I am not a lawyer so I am not offering legal advice above. Please consult a certified legal professional if you have any questions or want further information for your specific situation or location.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Hello Gene! Thanks for moving this self-defence thread from "For the Gals". I had pointed out that the Guidelines at the head of the For The Gals Forum state "If you want to start a discussion specifically aimed at women wearing high heels, do it here (Female fashion topics only, but everyone's opinion welcome)." Interested though I am in self-defence, I could not for the life of me understand how it could be a "Female fashion topic", so it's nice to see it moved here on to "Non Shoe Topics" instead, where I hope members (including me) will benefit from it. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Here Here, Heelfan! "GOD made all men. Smith & Wesson made them equal." Praise the LORD and pass the ammunition. Now can we please discuss fashion? Namaste', Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Gene: Great topic! Years ago I was in tae-kwan-do for quite a while. Some little things stay instinctual, such as simple blocks, but I know for damn sure I wouldnt want to rush head first into a frey. One question, you mentioned 9mm since it does not have excess size, what about the .40? I have read some very supportive police reports reguarding that round, especially Corbon's 135 grain round. Remember, self defence is not only when you are out walking around. Lock your car doors. Many incidents happen when a vehicle is stopped. I travel in the downtown Miami area quite often for work and have avoided a couple incidents while driving. Once while stopped at an intersection (if possible I sit ready to pull into traffic ASAP), once while driving north on I-95.. Just remember, do not stop untill you are in a well lit area, preferably with other people around. Being aware is the most important aspect of self defence. Although, I am thinking about taking up Tae-kwan-do again, specifically for the health aspects.. I fucking hate street fighting :roll: Jim PS, that was written while half asleep.. if I made any errors please correct me.

(formerly known as "JimC")