Business-y shoesies at a beginner height?

Posted Image

What do you think of these Moda Spanas? They're one of the highest heels offered at a reasonable price on Zappos in my size (women's 11/12)--sure, the heel's only 3 inches, but the price is decent enough and I need something dressy for my after-college adventures, something I can walk around to interviews in. A three-inch post-style heel like that seems to be a very practical way to get a little lift and still be able to walk some serious distance.

Here's another view:

Posted Image

I used to wear heels a lot more (primarily 4" or 5" with .5" or 1" platforms at the front) and I'm just now getting back into it after a bunion scare.

I was a little worried that I'd end up snapping the ankle strap since it seems pretty small and dinky, but in an alternate view of the shoe, it seems that there's a little leather loop on the back of the heel so you can take the thing out and put in something else. Maybe a ribbon or laces...Hmm. :D

I think these fit the bill, but sometimes I have zero fashion sense. Thoughts?

It's all very difficult to say with any meaning what will suit a particular person without knowing much else than the shoe you intend wearing. I think you need to post photographs of yourself tells us about your height, build, and the type of clothes you inyend to wear with them.

Posted Image

My hair is shorter now, but I haven't gained or lost weight, so there's me. As you can see I'm not really overweight but I'm pretty muscular. (Those are horrible Payless sandals I'm wearing.) This pic was from about a year and a half ago, a big Christmas dinner I attended at my college.

I am 5'10", and I am so long-legged that it's nearly awkward :D

With the Moda Spana "Verna" model up there I'd plan on wearing lots of business-y suits, pinstripes, dress slacks, knee-length skirts, etc. I have narrow feet and high arches. And yes, I am a natural redhead.

So there's me.

So there's me.

Very Nice! :D (I won’t mention the shoes you have on. :D )

You are an attractive woman.

I am 5'10", and I am so long-legged that it's nearly awkward :D

There is nothing wrong with long legs. :lol::D

Unfortunately I have no fashion sense, so I will leave it to those with more expertise to advise on the shoes.

Good Luck!

I think those new shoes would look great on you... Certainly a very elegent but practical heel! That's my opinion anyway... some people here might say a higher heel but then that's more for fun and is less practical! As for the straps, well they don't really need to support much force, they just prevent the shoe from slipping off so I'm sure it would be ok. Think about shoes like mules that don't have any kind of strap, and don't need it!

Thanks for the Pic, Tesa. Perhaps Gina, Anita or one of the other women that frequent this site will help you.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Thanks so much for everybody's input. I was afraid they wouldn't qualify as a "high heel" but it looks like there's a lot of agreement that these are a decent, practical pair of shoesies. :D I am thoroughly in love with 3" heels. They don't put enough pressure on the ball of your foot for you to really even feel it, and you can put the whole weight of your foot down in a natural stride. (I'm beginning to be able to do that in my 4-inchers, but it's taking some work and the heel doesn't feel nearly as stable.) Looks like Tesa's ordering a new pair of shoes :D They'll be my graduation pressie--to myself!

The shoes will go well with a business suit, whether skirt or slacks. At your size (which I think is perfect) 3" is like a 2" heel on a size 6. You are a very attractive lady. I hope you can improve your self-image. Good luck after college.

Hi TT! Lovely to see a photo of you! Regarding your possible 3"post heel shoes at the top of the page, if you'd had those on in the photo, they would have absolutely TRANSFORMED you! Go for it! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

TT(just copying you heelfan!) The shoes are very nice and i'd consider a pair myself ,i like the straps.You look good in the photo and you've won me over with your red hair! :D probably my celtic blood in me! ps there ain't anything wrong with long legs,get out and flaunt them! :D

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

I think you are on the right lines Tessa. Obviously you have a tall and medium build so the very high thin type heels could look out of place.

With a business outfit anyway, the idea would be to look professional while emphasising your graceful side. The two views you post of the shoes seem quite different, the second being a much more stumpy version than the first. The first does look better. I'd say 3.5" heels in your size would be equivelant to 3" in a more average size so you can afford a little extra height and still maintain the proportions. Even a slightly thicker heel, like the second view would suit too. I think the difference between the views is just the perspective playing tricks.

This shoe worn with a knee length skirt and a jacket could form a stunning business outfit. I'd tend towards the darker-mid blues, and greys which would contrast quite well with your lighter skin and hair.

I've got this streetshot picture taken last summer of a medium build girl wearing a similar shoe which I think shows good fashion sense:

Posted Image

Good luck with choosing your outfits to go with these shoes. I'm sure they are going to look nice.

Wow, FireFox, thank you for the fantastic input! You really have an eye for this! How cool! :D Yes, I'm not exactly 100% skinny, but I'm not at all overweight--just a tad on the stocky/muscular side. So a thicker-yet-graceful heel wouldn't be at all overwhelming. :D And I agree--the second view is tilted so much that the heel looks like it's gotta be only 1.5 inches or so. (That's why I posted a much bigger, and more flattering, side profile--it looks much better that way.) I do have a lot of greys and blues, because blacks tend to look too stark against my pale skin. My favorite little ensemble is a knee-length deep charcoal grey skirt and a blazer that matches--except it has ivory pinstripes. I'll wear an ivory button-down underneath it, and probably sheer hose in a deeper hue--like a translucent soft grey. The reason I like these shoes is because they have all the airconditioning of sandals, but you can still wear hose with them and dress them up. Zappos tells me they'll be here tomorrow! Can you believe it? :D Thanks everybody once again!

These lovely, lovely shoes came yesterday but after a little while of wearing them on the carpet I soon realized that they were too small. Boohoo! :D It's too bad Zappos doesn't have the color I want in my size :D Additionally, and this is just a minor cosmetic issue---the sole under the ball of the foot is covered in a very light cream-colored material, and after just a few walks up and down the hall it had flaked off in a few places to reveal black underneath. EEK! I was so worried I wouldn't be able to return them! But I talked to a very nice Zappos representative on the phone who informed me it would be fine to return the shoes. Phew! I wouldn't have minded the discoloration if they had fit, because I've had leather soles "scuff" on the bottom plenty of times before and it's really just a cosmetic thing, but I was terrified for a moment. Anyway, I'm gonna keep looking. I have it all setup so Zappos will automatically email me when they get the Moda Spana Verna in, in size 12, in black kid leather. They really were gorgeous and comfy, but the 11 was too small. I've seen a few websites that may or may not stock these in my size. I'll have to check 'em out.

Scotty: Yeah, I checked out Statuesque earlier today. I'd almost rather wait to see if Zappos can get it in for me, because (even though 90% of their styles are sometimes considered "somewhat ugly" by those on this board) Zappos stocks them for a lower price AND with free shipping. (I'm poor.) :D Thanks all the same though--I reallly would be in love with this style if it were in my size, so it's good to see SOMEONE has it.