Oscars .... cinema's highest accolade or rigged farce ?

I've only seen a little coverage before I felt the need to do severe damage to the idiot's lantern (television). Do actors/actresses in Hollywood have so little brain that when called to speak without lines, autocue, or idiot cards, they can only mumble platitudes ? Do people realise that the glitz and applique glamour of Hollywood has no bearing on real life ? .... yes I know that some seem to think that if you spin a subject sufficiently, illusion will be perceived as true. However I do know that no amount of spin and no amount of self-belief can affect real life. Going back to a sailing story a few years ago:- ------------------------------------------------------------------ Six big and hard policemen had chartered a sailboat for a holiday. The last evening they spent in Poole harbour and went ashore for lots of beers in a pub. Late-ish the next morning they left Poole to sail the 7 hours to Southampton via the Needles lighthouse on the Isle of Wight. About the same time the cops were going to the pub, Xaphod left the Channel Isles to sail across the English Channel to Southampton by himself. Xaphod had been looking at the weather and tides and knew a vicious secondary low pressure area was expected to pass across the south of the UK the next afternoon, and that the tide would be unfavourable after noon that day. Xaphod had an exhilarating sail across the Channel overnight, chucking quite a lot of water about and not slowing below 7 knots (that's quick for my old tub), and had tied up in his berth by about 10 am. After a late breakfast, with the wind now howling in the rigging, Xaphod hit the sack for lots of satisfying Zzzzz. About this time, 6 big and hard macho policemen were dying on the Shingles Bank opposite the Needles lighthouse, overconfident in their perception of themselves, believing that they could have a skinful, get up late, and fight wind and tide. ------------------------------------------------------------------ Sorry to digress, but it's Springtime and I'm feeling the need to forget about heels (for a while) and go sailing.

It's a rigged farce. They all scratch each others backs, just as royalty and diplomats etc award each other chests full of medals. What do you expect, no one sensible takes it seriously. They're welcome to their bit of fun :smile:

Awards shows are evil. They are the most vile and purest evil there can be. Why? They are about conformity. They are about greed. Movie #2 wins an award, and it is called "best" so people should spend money to go see it, and then buy the DVD, after renting it, of course. Why? Because it is best. Not because an individual might like it, simply because it won something. The same goes for music. Bands without much skill or depth or meaning win awards because that is what sells. If it were based on talent, bands you never heard of would win. So award shows are evil. There are good awards, like Nobel Peace Prizes, humanitarian awards, the Calgary White Hat award, things that say "hey you, nobody, you're a somebody now because you made a difference". These are not broadcast on TV with much glitz, glam, fanfare and high priced commercials. Why not, they certainly award something more important than five boys now ben who sing together and have never picked up an instrument or even written a song. Yes, I am bitter. The world would be better if we awarded useful people. Imagine, the award for most heroic fire fighter, or best cab driver, or even most friendly doctor. Things would be better, because people in professions that matter would try even harder, and we'd all benefit.

On 2002-03-26 06:07, ShockQueen wrote:

Usually the ones that win are the worst pieces of tripe to ever stain our planet.

Comparing award winning movies to tripe is an insult to tripe!

(Yes I have tried tripe once, and well, it's stomach lining. It's chewy, it's pale, and while it was well prepared for flavour, it just wasn't a good texture for me. Much like overcooked squid.)

I agree with most of the sentiments expressed here, plainly its an absolute subjective farce. Wonder whether they keep a book (betting one) on this stuff, if so some people would be the richer. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

To tell you the truth it was not until last year (I think it was last year) how much it was all a farce. Star Wars Phantom Menace won best picture?!!! What the F was that?!! Ok the computer graphics were great, but so was Matrix. Matrix had a superior plot and action. It glued me to the screen. Star wars was weak, entertaining but weak. I wonder if George Lucas bribed the judges. I never rented Star wars after it came out on DVD/VHS. So Far I rented Matrix twice.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I think Hoverfly is talking about some other awards. Oscar would not pick science fiction as the best of pictures. There's a new channel in Canada, the Independant Film Channel, and it has some great commercials, which inform us that hollywood movies are bad. In the most recent commercial, they are in a class room, and the russian director is teaching everyone. On the board behind him it says "Hollywood crap is waste of film" and when the girl is proud of her movie title, "Love is Flowers" she is told it is hollywood crap, and actor Michael Rappaport, the guest in class for the day, suggests that "you gotta love, spanking the monkey". I don't watch this channel very much, but they did play the movie Seven during the day and I watched it at work, on and off. So it has to be a good channel.

On 2002-03-27 12:48, Francis wrote:

yum!

squid cooked in it's own ink!

-slurp!-

Squid is good, yes. Yum. I really like ordering some when I go for sushi. And everyone eats Calamari, but I prefer when the restaurant includes the tentacles, because no one else will eat them and I love them. Crispy, crunchy bits of goodness. :smile:

Have you ever eaten chinese Laurie, people are put off by 'Chickens Feet'. It might sound strange but the're quite nice, just have to remove all thoughts as to where those footsies have been, otherwise you can't start! Anyhow back to the Oscars. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Quote: "I think Hoverfly is talking about some other awards. Oscar would not pick science fiction as the best of pictures." Yep, come to think of it it was the Grammy's. I don't think ether one has true creditability any way. The only reason I watch either one is for the high heels!! :smile: _________________ Hello, my name is Hoverfly. I am a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!!! <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-30 19:22 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I ate something that was described to me as 'chickens feet'. After eating several pieces I was told that it was frog. Undeterred I reached out and ate another piece! :smile: Just one of the many strange things I ate while living in Hong Kong B) On the squid front, I like the tentacles on the soft side rather than crunchy. Some reckon it's like chewing on a piece of leather, but I enjoy it B)

Tastes like..... chicken!!! :smile: Had frog before can't really tell the diffrence if it's cooked right.

Inga - I have not had Chicken's Feet, but then I do not frequent many Chinese restaurants. I have my favourite and order from it too often :smile: I have eaten a baby octopus. They serve it intact after cleaning, on a cucumber flower. To look at it... let's just say my friend told me to ignore who it looked and eat it. It tasted really good. Francis, the squid tentacles being crunchy: They are in a bit of flour and then quick fried, so it is more of a crispy outside and soft inside. After all, qith Squids, it is either cook for two minutes, or cook for an hour. That is the one rule that determines if it will be good. Raw, sliced tentacle is also good off a larger specimen. Was this not Oscar talk? How to link this... Oscars reward movie stars, movie stars like sushi and chinese food, so... there, the link! We are talking about Oscar winners and their favourite foods we may life. And I would be interested in ttrying frog one day. If I can eat tofu (in Miso soup is best) I figure I can eat almost anything.