I. DISLIKE. FLIP FLOPS.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was 10 my family moved from Detroit to a small island in Florida, and I've spent many years within 200 yards of a beach.. I see flip flops and sandals all over the place. I could just never warm up to them *shrug*

(formerly known as "JimC")

Genebujold:-) I don't think I would look good in a maillot or a 2-piece either, even though I have good looking legs. JimC.:-) I can't really never get to like flip-flops either and my toes and toe-nails don't look good enough to wear sandals or slides or anything open. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here goes! I love flip flops! I practically live in them. I can, and do hike 10+ miles on the beach in flip flops - the simple flat kind with web strap. They are easy to put on to go out into the yard. Here in the southeastern USA there are some nasty parasites one can get by going completely barefoot so flip flops are the next best thing. My one gripe on flip flops is the durable ones can cost upwards of $40! Ho Chi Min Sandles, they are no more. My job requires shoes so I don't live in flip flops all the time. There is a dress code where I work - must present ourselves to the public in a clean, conservative, professional manner so it is athletic shoes for me every day - not what I would chose to wear but the most comfortable option on concrete. Would not dare try heels. I wear flip fops doing what I do at work when off the job, heels sometimes, but then that is my own lookout. It is one of the "mysteries" of me. Love heeled boot styles in the fall winter and spring, bare feet in the summer or as possible throughout the year. Don't get me worng - there are definitely times where flip flops will destroy a look. From what has been posted that is what I gather we are talking about. I just thought I would weigh in and possibly explain why they are so prevelent in the stores and not just on women's feet.

classic style high heel boots

Dressboots:-) It sounds like you put a lot of miles on your flip-flops and as a person who likes them that's the way it should be. Enjoy them. As I have said before, I don't care for that style myself and even hated them when I had to use them in the service as shower shoes. I never go barefoot and always have a closed shoe or boot on at all times. I am familiar with your nasty parasites as I have encountered them in Florida upon occassion---especially the fire ants. Persistant little pests and quite a nuisance at times. And then there is the Florida airforce. Bugs as big as a B-25 medium bomber. Cheers--- Dawn HH

I agree to a point with dressboots. Wearing flip-flops are just the thing for walking along the beach. The sand can get so hot during the mid-afternoon it will burn your bare feet, especially here at Myrtle Beach. So, when we are at one of our condos, the whole family wears them to and from the waters edge.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

bubba 136 and Dawn HH: I appreciate your feedback/comments. This is what makes this posting place so much fun. I always felt like I should live in the tropics but then it would always be too warm for boots, so living in a temperate region does have its silver linings! My wife and I grew up in New Jersey where completely barefoot did not leave one open to univited guests. We recall our kid days when by the end of summer we could walk across hot tar roads barefoot and even pause to pop the bubbles in the tar with our toes. Ever see that picture in Time Life books of the man found walking barefoot in the snow in the Himilayas? He was our role model. I also remember my kid days of wearing my older sister's hand-me-down winter boots when the weather turned cold! I promise this is the last comment on going barefoot!

classic style high heel boots

When I was a young guy my parents bought me standard flip flops when we went to the beaches in France, Spain or Italy, but I never liked them because of the sand crawling between the toes and the divider, and the ultra flat sole hurting my calves and tendons. As soon as I was independant I looked for a similar but more practical concept and finally found that during a 3 month stay in california in 1976. In Sacramento I found flip flops with a straw inner sole, thick soft straps and about a 2 inch wedge heel incorporated in the white sole. Now these were practical and comfortable but only on solid surfaces. For my holiday with relatives in Redondo beach I bought flip flops mounted on a tall platform and serious wedge. I never got problems with sand between my toes anymore. The rest was traditional and strong and I laughed a bit with the life time warrany sticker, but they are still in very good shape after 28 years of wearing.

Posted Image

In the meantime I was lucky to see the style become fasion again since a few years and bought a few similar styles lately. All can be seen on my webpage (linked below) on the Sandal/slipper page. With the 30°C temperature we had today I wore the Pink Steve Madden ones to run errands downtown for 2 hours. They might not be as elegant as heeled sandals, but for the people familiar with the Hasselt cobblestones they surely are ideal. Besides that they are attractive because nowhere in Belgium you can find these styles.

I also wore some Japanese Getas (the wooden plip flops with a square sole on 2 wooden elevations called ha?) in the 70's. These were fun and after a while easy, but attracted too much attention (noise) and were impossible and dangerous to handle car pedals.

I saw those kitten heeled flip flops again today but find the price too high (25 Euro) for a model that still looks cheap and uninspired at the front.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I don't like flip flops either.

I also wore some Japanese Getas (the wooden plip flops with a square sole on 2 wooden elevations called ha?) in the 70's. These were fun and after a while easy, but attracted too much attention (noise) and were impossible and dangerous to handle car pedals.

They are indeed called Ha.

Maybe one can glue some rubber under the ha to reduce the noise.

Interesting footwear though.

See for more information on Getas http://japanesegeta.com/

Robert

I saw a girl at work today wearing a very cute pair of pink kitten heel flip-flips and the heels were metal tipped. Normally, I'm not a big fan of flip-flops but I have to admit, these were very very cute!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Jay1:-) The wife and I attended an Eagle Scout induction affair the other day and one of the young girls had on a pair of kitten heeled sandals. Now, I'm not very fond of the flip-flop, but this style of shoe the girl was wearing was in my mind a step up from the ever-present flip-flops. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 4 weeks later...

Check out this report in the sun for a good reason to hate flip flops http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004301297,00.html

They can make men impotent allegedly

Probably the same chemicals found in the footbeds of half the sneakers/running/walking/hiking/basketball/cleats on the planet...

As if we didn't have enough environmental pollution already!

Carpets, chairs, couches, watchbands, mousepads... It's the synthetics that'll kill you. Literally.

Genebujold:-) Now that you have expanded your list to other products from our daily life---I guess that I'll have to start to worry----------just a little bit. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 2 months later...

I can't agree more that flip flops look sloppy. The latest fashion thing seems to be pink sweat pants with a white stripe down the side, too long so they drag behind and get full of dirt, and flip flops. Can anyone think that is attractive??? We used to wear sweat pants to warm up for track meets or while conditioning running distance. After we got done, they did not smell too good!!! Flip flops let your feet spread out making the look bigger. A sandal that surrouds the toes shapes the foot better, and I think, looks more attractive.

Blackslide, the girls around here seem to love that idea, :-? and if they aren't wearing thongs (thats what we call "flip flops" here) they are wearing "kitten" heels I see the occasional "hard core heeler" though! EXTREMELY occasionally though, unfortunately if the local girls don't wear heels, I "may" have to wear my former "avatars" outside!... don't know if I'd like the outcome of that :D later, TXT-1

TXT-1:-) Go ahead!!! Wear your heels outside. Have fun. Try it, you'll like it. Blackslide:-) The young girls are dressing here the same way as where you live. I think it looks sloppy, myself. And---then they run around as fast as they can in those gosh awful almost shoes. Someone's sure to get hurt. Since the girls aren't wearing heels much these days, I guess I'll just have to wear mine more now. Cheers--- Dawn HH

I for one love flip flops, more specifically the type that TabascoTesa and a few here despise, the platform flip flop variety. I also like the nice thin ones that are made out of leather, or hard rubber (maybe PVC?). I don't really care much about the cheap ones you can buy at the grocery store for .99 cents. Maybe it's because of where I live with the nice year round temperature, they wear it almost year round, even during light rain! And just like apparel or accessories, it's how you wear them. Flip flops are casual footwear, so the majority of people are going to dress relax, some tend to dress a little more relax and look sloppy. Is the guy wearing a faded shirt, with his longer under shirt sticking out, and worn out jeans sloppy? Maybe to some, but it's proper enough to make the front pages of catalogs like Abercrombie & Fitch, Gap, and American Eagle. To me, it seems like the ones that don't really like them have a different association to them like for showering, lack of time...etc. Granted, you're not going to wear ff to a boardroom meeting and vice-a-versa, you're not going to wear stilletos to the sandy beach. Although at my corporate office, it's near the beach, so the dress code is a little more lax, with VP's coming in wedged, heeled or flat leather thongs. :-?:D I for one think feet are just as important as judging how good or sexy someone's body is. If you can imagine a lady (or man) with a sexy curvy body and you think she's pretty hot. Then you look down and she has these chicken feet with hammer toes and bunions. Not very attractive huh? But if she had nice feet, what better way to show off her nice feet than to wear some flip flops? She has footwear on, but her nice feet are minimally covered. :wink::D Now some people like to see ladies (or men) wearing underwear thongs or g-strings. They form that nice "Y" shape on their curvy behind. For those that like underwear thongs and g-strings, have you ever considered that feet have curves, and that a flip flop is like an underwear thong for the feet? Hmmmmm.... Just like everyone can't have a nice body, not everyone has nice feet. So maybe it's better that they don't wear flip flops and offend others. :wink: Thanks everyone for hearing me out on this.

Yes, it's beautiful isn't it?

Hey, those worn by TabascoTessa, aren't they called "slides?" I spend a lot of time at Myrtle Beach and wear slides like those everywhere. They're becoming more popular with men here, also. I've three different pair. One pair, kind of a yellow color, has 4" wedge heels on a 2" platform. Another pair is black with a 5" wedge heel without a platform and the third is black with a 2" wedge heel, no platform. Uniform of the day at the beach is usually T-shirt, shorts and slides (bear feet). So you're in good company.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 4 months later...