I. DISLIKE. FLIP FLOPS.

After reading through some of the rants, I've ascertained that many people here have very strong opinions and feel very passionately about their preferences! (I'm quite the astute observer...) So I'm sure someone's going to disagree with me, but do it nicely, okay? I'm new here and don't want to get all scared! :D I hate flip flops. Big pet peeve of mine. Not thongs, per se. There are lots of very lovely sharp-looking shoes, heeled or not, that are a thong-style sandal. I'm talking about the chunk-of-rubber, cheapo plastic, shower-shoe flip-flop. I see flip flops as shower shoes or beach shoes, and that's about it. At my college I see a zillion of them every day as some girl drags her feet along and makes a horrible noise grinding that EVA rubber into the sidewalk. I see girls in lovely spring/summer dresses or flowing, beautiful skirts--only to find that they didnt' bother putting on any REAL sandals--they just slid on their beat-up Old Navy shower shoes. I'm a college student as well and I'm often pressed for time to get ready in the morning, but I strongly believe that "shoes make the outfit." My college is a very casual setting, so I myself will often go jeans-and-a-T-shirt all day long--but even in a very casual place, don't you think professors find it hard to take students seriously if they're just bumming around in their old pajamas and flip-flops? My profs and coworkers are my colleagues, and if i don't maintain some modicum of professionalism I feel completely out-of-place. So jeans-and-a-T-shirt usually means some sort of styled denim trouser, a fitted stretch 3/4-sleeve top, and my Frye boots or my heel-of-the-day. I can't abide flip-flops. You can do casual without looking scuzzy. Gone are the days of ladies always wearing a sharply tailored skirt and high heels for ANY occasion that involves stepping outside the door. Some people might mourn that loss--I don't, because I like being able to wear pants :D But flip flops, especially old beat up ones, especially if the wearer has crusty feet, detract from any outfit in my opinion. (Now, to counter all that, I have a pair of Teva "Mush" flip flops with some serious arch support that I'll wear to take a long brisk walk in (gotta keep in shape) in the hottest days of summer, but that's in workout clothes. Also, I don't mind the new little "kitten heel" thongs.) That was long, but that was my rant :D Thoughts?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ban flip flops. Tasteless pieces of rubber which never should have seen the light of day. Doesn't matter how many designs they come in they still look awful. Thanks for bringing this up, they needed the HHforum treatment

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

TabascoTesa said:

I see flip flops as shower shoes or beach shoes, and that's about it.

That's really all they are.

She's also right about:

But flip flops, especially old beat up ones, especially if the wearer has crusty feet, detract from any outfit

Good grooming, clean clothing in good repair and nicely shod feet tell how much self respect a person has for themselves.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Tesa, I couldn't agree with you more. They are number one on my list of pet hates. Weather wise, we have had a great weekend here in the UK. Summer is here at last, but the down side is, it means the return of flip flops!!! Already I have seen many otherwise well dressed ladies and girls wearing them. :D Worst of all, at a few weddings I attended last summer, I saw several female guests in their best dresses, perfect make up, jewlery, and........... cheap..... plastic..... FLIP FLOPS!!!! AAHHHHHHhhhhhhh!!!! :D:D

Tabasco Tesa:-) Shyguy:-) I couldn't agree with you both more. I had never used flip-flops until I was in the Army and we all had to use them for shower shoes. I hated them. I don't like anything between my toes anyway. The first thing I did after leaving the Army was to pitch those horrible flip-flops. UGH!! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

To all Just my opinion I think all the people who wear flip flops , look gross dragging thier shoe as they as they walk along , making even the most beautiful look like thier sloppy people , they could wear a niece low sandle.....Ray

Guys, you've said it all. Last Saturday I attended a fashion show and half of the light summer dresses or skirts were presented with those XXXX-shoes. I was totally embarassed to see those lovely models who had their appearance spoiled with this kind of so-called shoes :D

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

You don't see many flip flops in the UK. Our weather is too cold :D , but I suppose the equivelant would be scruffy trainers which I am guilty of wearing some of the time. Let's face it, we all live busy lives and spending lots of time on buying and wearing classy shoes or clothes is not possible all of time. OK, it is possible if you are that way inclined, but something else is likely to suffer. What that may be depends on your personal circumstance.

Flip flops . . . hmmmmm. I believe I owned a pair back in 1964 . . . maybe it was 1965. Ciao, Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Thank you FireFox! --I was hoping to see some other input on this issue (you can tell I take my shoes very seriously!) :D At any rate, yes, I lead a busy life--I'm a college student always rushing off to classes and all, so I generally just wear whatever footwear I can slip on and run off in. (Currently that's a pair of Frye harness boots..mmm.) I personally don't feel "structured" at all if I'm in sneakers or flip-flops, so I feel best if my footwear is something that can be dressed up a little bit. Not everybody is like that, but personally I feel flip-flops are the worst example of it all. Anyway, that's just my opinion, subject to change :D

It appears that the majority of people posting so far have a great dislike for flip-flops. If that is the case, how come that they are still being sold and not languishing on the counter tops covered with cob-webs??? Cheers--- Dawn HH

It appears that the majority of people posting so far have a great dislike for flip-flops. If that is the case, how come that they are still being sold and not languishing on the counter tops covered with cob-webs??? Cheers---

Because the majority of critics here on this website are...(drum roll please)...male, and the majority of those wearing them are...(another drum roll)...female. Funny how that is. I myself, going and finishing up at a college that has, probably, a girl/guy ratio of at least 3:1, find myself letcherously enjoying the view of the foxes in their low-rider jeans, and bare midriff tiny tees, and my eyes wander down, and.... and.... nothing but thongs, although usually at least a step up from the all-rubber variety--the kind that you would expect to find at WalMart for ~$5-7. Its not...a complete letdown, but there now is less to enjoy. How some of them manage to continue to walk gracefully, mimicking the normal hip and leg movements with higher-heeled footwear, I haven't figured out yet. It must be a girl thing--perhapsTabascoTesa can shed some light on the subject.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Azraelle:-) It sounds like you are in an excellent position for some great girl-watching. Too bad that the bottom is frustrating for you, but the top part sounds interesting. I see your point---if someone wasn't buying flip-flops they wouldn't be on the counter tops very long. Cheers--- Dawn HH

It appears that the majority of people posting so far have a great dislike for flip-flops. If that is the case, how come that they are still being sold and not languishing on the counter tops covered with cob-webs???

Dawn HH

I think there's a simple reason for that: this is the "HighHeel meeting place", and to me it is logical that the vast majority of people posting here on our forum can't find anything attractive about something like those "flip-flops", regardless if they are male or female. If this was the "low heel" or "comfy loafers" forum it would certainly be the other way round :D

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

Stilettofan:-) I must agree with you completely on your last post. I never cared for flip-flops or flats in any way. I much prefer to have a heel under me and I am quite comfortable with that. The wife and I were out street-heeling this afternoon to a Wendy's for lunch and to Wal*Mart to get some yard supplies for our yard. I experienced something that I hadn't experienced before---Carrying a 25 lb. bag of grass seed in 3.25" calf-high biker boots. That really puts a load on your balancing mechanism. Along with other yard materials I safely got it loaded into and unloaded from my car at home into my garage. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I just returned from the local shopping mall and naturally i had to run through macys and see what new in the shoe dept..(besides seeing a woman with real 4"+nails, i also have a nail fetish too) bloody F/F'S everywhere!! some with a heel(kitten heels) and some not..... and some with the "thong" look most of them with a "kinda" heel... I'm curious are they THAT popular where YOU live? i'm in NYC..... if i wanted to see beach wear i'd go to the beach! I hope they go away soon... what happaned to heeled sandals? Gig

Cheers

That's easy enough to answer. If you wanna walk with a wiggle you just do it! Many of those girls have had dance/gymnastic/sport training of some type. That gives you more control of your body's movments. Dance training definately encourages the wiggle, and if your feeling good about yourself it is almost natural.

JinxieKat

Actually my wife and sister-in-law just bought the kitten-heeled flipflops that were all the rage last year (Target now sells them for $14.95). I disagree they are hidious. I think a nice sexy foot in such a shoe is a turn on as well; especially with painted toe nails, toe rings and anklets. Sure I would love it if my wife wore 5" stiletto pumps every day, but atleast these are a major improvement over the typical "stompers" she has been wearing every day. Scotty

Thanx, JinxieKat. I know the answer should have been obvious, but I somehow forgot. Probably due to my erronious assumptions about the motivations (and "purity" perhaps?) of the predominantly Mormon females that go to college here. You've opened my eyes in more ways than one. :D

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

• 2 weeks later...

Back after a long while... funny to stop here first. First off, I have to agree with Tabasco. I hate them too. Second, why? I guess they look, well, sloppy. It's an "I don't care how crappy I look because I'm so damned lazy" looking thing, at least to me. Or I should say, me and a couple others here. Finally, those harness boots do sound nice, Tabasco... but another story for another time.

Thong-a-go-go! Nothing wrong with thongs, provided one selects the right heel for the job.

Flip flops were invented as beachwear - they don't sink into the sand.

Once you're 100 yards away from the water or on hard pavement, whichever comes first, I agree that flip flops should be taboo with respect to style.

I'm not saying there's not a good selection of sexy flats out there. Check these out, for example:

Posted Image

Cute and sexy.

But I'd rather see her in these!

Posted Image

Genebujold:-)

I have to agree with your second picture over the first one. I would much rather see a lady in the high heeled sandals than a flip- flop. Cheers---

Dawn HH

True, true...

It's just that walking in them at the beach is a beach.