Random Boot/Wallet Thingie

I have a pair of 12" high Frye harness boots that I love dearly (they're my non-heel shoes, they accomodate a serious arch support, and they're nice and heavy so my foot muscles stay in shape.) They only have a 1.5" heel so maybe I shouldnt' be talking about them here, but I have a random question and I'm not sure where to start looking:

Posted Image

See how there are side pull loops up at the top of the shaft there? I'd like to thread a "belt" kinda thing through those and attach a wallet to the belt somehow. I wear a lot of flared jeans that are more fitted through the hip and rear, so I don't like carrying my wallet in my pocket (it destroys the line of my outfit!)

There's more room down by my boots, and i've seen tons of boots that have little pockets and belts on them, so I figured this wasn't too outlandish (check the discussion in the Your Worst Idea of a Woman's Shoe thread)

The belt would be easy enough to do: find a cheapish leather belt in the same color and "feel" as the boot itself; cut it down to size; punch holes where needed. I'm not sure about the wallet though. I know you can find wallets that are meant to be slid onto a belt, but I'd hesistate to modify a wallet by myself because I'd be worried I'd compromise the structural integrity of the leather.

Random thoughts. Any ideas?

The belt would be easy enough to do: find a cheapish leather belt in the same color and "feel" as the boot itself; cut it down to size; punch holes where needed. I'm not sure about the wallet though. I know you can find wallets that are meant to be slid onto a belt, but I'd hesistate to modify a wallet by myself because I'd be worried I'd compromise the structural integrity of the leather.

Random thoughts. Any ideas?

You have the right idea. You could probably find a shoe maker who could run something up for you.

If you wanted to do it yourself, just stitch a loop on the back of your chosen wallet and then tread the belt through both the boot loops and your wallet loop. I suggest some kind of zip up wallet like a miniature bum-bag (fanny pack in US).

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I don't know if I could modify a wallet--I don't have anything to work leather with. Can you recommend something--like a sewing kit or something? All my adventures in trying to alter leather have either been really difficult (leather is some seriously tough stuff) or I gave up on it.

TabascoTesa wrote:

Can you recommend something--like a sewing kit or something?

how about using pop rivets? (you would still have to make holes with an awl where you want to put the rivets.)

Posted Image

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I'm pretty sure I'll figure something out. My only concern would be that I'd be constantly checking the side of my calf to make sure that my wallet was still there, but if I get something tough with some heavy-duty buckles, I think it'd be even more secure than keeping my wallet in my pocket. Or carrying a purse. Purses are cool and all, but sometimes I just hate having to sling something over my shoulder or hold it in my hand--I'm very "hands-free" :D Thanks everybody for your input so far--Bubba, I've used pop riveters before and I always thought they were fun.

• 3 months later...

Hey,

I have been wearing my wallet in my boots for years.

Sheplers western wear carries a wallet that is made to slip into your boot.

It has leather covered metal clip that lets the wallet go inside the boot without falling down. Of course this only works with boots that are not tight. I looked on their website and can not find it listed. I will check the next catalog I receive.

www.sheplers.com

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

• 2 weeks later...

For sewing leather I've used a tool called a "sewing awl", it's a wooden handle with a heavy needle and a spool of thread attached. The handle is big enough that you can comfortably push the needle through the leather with your palm. The needle is similar to the needle used on a sewing machine, in fact it is the needle that would be used on a leather sewing machine. The thread is quite heavy -- almost like nylon fishing line -- and it is threaded through the eye of the needle. You start by unreeling a length of thread about 1-1/2 times the length of your seam and push this thread through the leather at the start of the seam. Then pull the free end of the thread through so it's on the back side of the seam and withdraw the awl. On each subsequent stitch, you push the needle through and then back it out about 1/8", creating a loop on the other side of the leather. Thread the free end of your thread through this loop, withdraw the needle, and pull the stitch tight. It's slow going but it works great for small leathercraft projects (I made a sheath for a knife this way and it worked beautifully). I got my "sewing awl" at Ben Franklin's but I found the same tool -- along with all kinds of thread, bobbins, and needles -- at the TandyLeather link mentioned in an earlier post. Check out http://www.tandyleather.com/prodinfo.asp?number=121600&variation=&aitem=11&mitem=13

It is listed as Sewing Awl Kit #1216-00, and it is the same item I have just described.

Have fun and good luck!

Have a happy time!