Do you wear your heels outside?

Firefox

Don't be shy, tell us when and where you wear what type of heels. By reading the thoughts of others you may gain some ideas for yourself! _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-01-08 02:57 ]</font>

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear heels in public since more than 30 years. I rarely wear flats anymore because my tendons and calves have settled to heels and anything below 3-inches is causing me pains if I have to walk for any distance. I still choose the types of heels according to where I'm going but most people are used seeing me in heels and don't batter an eye anymore.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

My public outings started a couple of years ago and, apart from a few stupid individuals shouting names they don't really understand, I haven't had any problems. My people round here are used to seeing my in heels and, indeed, some even pick up on it when I'm not. Just goes to show that something different can become commonplace.

^^^^^^^^

Same here. Well you get the odd giggle from an immature girl, but that's about it really. I guess I've been wearing heels for 15 years or more outside regularly but I wouldn't wear all styles anywhere only those that suit me. Mainly boots with thicker heels. I don't think women are any different. How often have you heard them say "I'm not going out in those shoes!"

Anon - I think stilettos are going to be making a bit of a comeback and I'm not sure if we'll see as many of the cones and blades as last year, but to be honest, I worry about what I like and what suits me, rather than what is in style. Some styles are timeless.

I only wear women's shoes these days. Mostly the chunky-heeled boot styles. I've recently gotten into some heeled shoes/mules. I discovered the benefits of the mules during this past summer! :smile: I tend to prefer 4" heels for the most part. I have never encountered any problems at all in public with my heel wearing, by the way. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I wear my chunky styles outside, more for the endurance than anything else, but I do wear the rest of my collection out depending on the outfit and the mood I'm in. I haven't worried too much about people seeing me in them, but then again, who's going to mess with all 6'2" of me anyway? SQ

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I'm around in heels everyday (except sunday at home, then I wear flats to rest my feet a bit). I wear them everywhere I go, mostly 4" kneehigh boots, block heels. I quite often even wear 4" blade heels (Bronx).

i wear heels in public every day. i have heels in many different styles and i wear what i like within the boundaries of the social situation that i am likely to find myself in. if i am going to be on my own with little chance of running into anyone that i know, then i usually wear the highest pumps i have. if i am going out on a date, i wear the highest fashion pumps that i own, often to the amusement of my date whose shoes are often inferior to the ones that i am wearing. if i am going to be in a business situation, i still usually wear heels, but more acceptable styles such as boots or high-vamp slip ons and make sure that i have dark hose on so there is little or no skin showing. if i am going to a party, it depends on whether there will be business associates there or not and what the specific occasion is. if it's meant to be a get-together i usually dress conservatively, if it's a blow-out, like a christmas or end-of-year party, i will sometimes go in fashion pumps even if there are professional associates there. it kind of depends on how bold i feel at the time. or how much i have been drinking...

It's good to vary your heel height and even wear flat shoes occasionally. This will maintain flexibility in your foot and associated muscles and tendons. This can sometimes be crucial, as I sure we all don't particularly wish to be using a walking stick while wearing our heels.

Just starting to wear heels out after years of in house ware. I have some boots that have a 2.5 inch heel that i am building outside courage with. My one experience recently wearing higher heels out was with a pair of BCBG 4.5 inch pointed toe ankle boots (my favorites). Wore them with longer jeans to run a couple of errands. It was one of the most exciting but scary experiences so far.

I've been wearing my heels out for a couple years now. I have a pair of mid-calf 3" heels boots and a couple pair of 3" ankle boots that I regularly wear out. With a suit I have a pair of 1.5" heel loafers for public wearing.

Just getting up my courage! I have a couple of pairs of plain wedges that I plan to wear out. I'm having trouble finding trousers to hide them, so the few times I've been outside I've let the whole heel show. And I don't think anyone's noticed yet! But then, I'm a long way from wearing them all day. Perhaps when I find some longer trousers :smile: .

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Good luck guys! 3 to 3 1/2" chunky heels are really quite in proportion, especially on the larger gents sizes. I'd venture to suggest you don't even need to worry about trousers to hide that sort of heel, but for the first time, why not? Then gradually take up your trousers. Yes, you might get the odd comment here and there, but just laugh it off or ignore it. It's easy :smile:

Outside in daylgiht 3-3.5" are no problem what so ever, that hight I dont bother to cover. Heels in that case are chunky and the boots are not to eyecatching. Out in the night +3.5" mostly covered by jeans. On the last heelmeeting did I wear +4" heels covered by jeans, but the heels were visible, I'll think, while walking, in stairs and while sitting down. So in that case it was not needed to cover heels which whore clearly visible anyhow.

Match the heel to the occasion. You don't see most women in 5" stils. If you asked them why not, a fair number would say they didn't have the figure or the confidence to carry it off, or they weren't suitable for that event.

You can still wear loads of types of heels on all occasions without fear of people saying anything though. It depends on what you are after. If you want to blend in then be sensible. If you want to make a point then go for it. I do both, often the latter, but then you have to be prepared for the odd ignorant comment, the same way as woman might get called a "tart". I'd like to think our esteemed readership here has the ability to laugh that sort of stuff off. If you give in to it then you are giving into ignorance. It's the same as givng into terrorism.

Are you going to let them win ?

Like fighting the terrorism everything needs to be prepered. No, I wont let them win in the end, I take one step at the time and will be prepered for it. My way might be slow but stable for me. Yes you right, much is up to match the heel to the occasion. The heelmeeting was good for me, it showed me that wearing heels visible is no big deal at all, whatever the type of heel is. I fear much less today about what people might say, what they think is their sake and that doesnt bother me at all.

I've got three pairs of wedges, one 2" and two around 4". I wear them outside sometimes when I'm travelling, but not all that often. I work on-site for a very conservative company, and any hint of not being normal would earn me an *immediate* P45 :smile: . If it wasn't for that, I'd go for it more.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

the first time i went in public with my heels was pretty nerve wracking. only one lady saw me and she was definitely surprised to see a guy wearing bright white 6 inch heeled sandals. she got over it though and we had a conversation around it. and i use to visit a lady friend who was very jealous of me wearing such high heels when she could not. that was all i needed in the confidence building and now, usually... i don't have a problem with going out wearing really high heels. can't do it right now though as i live in canada and there is three feet of snow here in downtown ottawa!

I have to get rid of "comfy loafer" - it's just not me at all Back to topic ... Best place I ever found for heeling outside was a Uni campus. I thought that would be pretty safe in terms of adverse reaction. And it was, completely! (I'm not a student there, but was once, many years ago). Wandered around for an hour or so ... went into the library ... up & down campus ... loads of people obviously saw the heels (4" blockish) but no comment at all. Great confidence booster :smile: