Men Reviewing Women's Shoes

Peeptoe

As I shop online, I read the reviews seeking comments about fit to help my decision to buy. Something I see a lot more of recently, is men leaving negative reviews on women's shoes for a poor fit/width. So my question is this: Is this fair?

For me, I'm not a fan of it for the most part. I just don't feel it's fair to rate a shoe that's a B width negatively because my C width foot didn't fit.  If I leave a review, I keep that perspective in mind.  

I was curious if anyone else has noticed this, and what their thoughts were.

People write reviews based on all sorts of loopy or idiosyncratic criteria. I noticed a review just this morning on Amazon where the reviewer gave a book a one-star review because it arrived a few days later than he had expected. So, no, a lot of reviews just aren’t fair or are simply useless, and that would apply to footwear as well.

Most reviews are useless anyway as they’re usually written a day or two after the item arrived - before the purchaser can possibly have used or worn it sufficiently to judge its merits.

• Like 1

I concur with Shyheels. Most reviews are useless. However, if you notice 50 bad reviews, and most of them say, "The strap broke after only 3 wearings," then it's probably useful. Otherwise, it's a waste of time. I don't know how many shoe reviews I've seen that have some saying that these run large, so order a size smaller, and a short scroll down, you'll find others saying that these run small, order a size up. By the time I feel qualified to write a review, they have usually quit making the product that I liked. I'm only about 80% kidding.

I've noticed that on Naturalizer' web site, you can now select your gender when you leave a review.

I've used this function and will always use it. Proud to be a man wearing heels!

As for the reviews, indeed it seems unfair to give a shoe a low score if the shoe doesn't fit.

The buyer would have never bought this pair if he had went to a real shoe store to try the shoes before buying 'em. ;)

It's also true that lots of pairs go out of stock quickly, never to be replenished, so we often leave reviews for products no longer available. That is especially true if, like me, you prefer to buy your pairs while they are in discount.

• Like 4

This is even more true, if, like me, one prefers to buy his shoes on Poshmark or Ebay. In that case, all that matters is whether the thing got there on time or whether it got there at all.

• Like 1

I always leave reviews on the shoes or boots that I buy. I always include in my review that I'm a guy that likes to wear heels. It's a part of my life style. My reviews are always published and that's the way it should be. Heels are not only for women but for guys too. If you like the heels that you bought, guys post a review,

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 9:09 AM, Shyheels said:

People write reviews based on all sorts of loopy or idiosyncratic criteria. I noticed a review just this morning on Amazon where the reviewer gave a book a one-star review because it arrived a few days later than he had expected. So, no, a lot of reviews just aren’t fair or are simply useless, and that would apply to footwear as well.

Most reviews are useless anyway as they’re usually written a day or two after the item arrived - before the purchaser can possibly have used or worn it sufficiently to judge its merits.

I once saw a review for a pair of "70's style" shoes that raved about how mint they looked "considering they were made in the 70's"  😂🤣😂

But on the other hand, if there are a majority of women in the reviews saying that it killed their pinky toe or rubbed their ankles raw, then I move on because the odds are that my larger ankles and wider feet aren't going to be comfortable in them either. 

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

I always leave reviews on the shoes or boots that I buy. I always include in my review that I'm a guy that likes to wear heels. It's a part of my life style. My reviews are always published and that's the way it should be. Heels are not only for women but for guys too. If you like the heels that you bought, guys post a review,

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I typically will only leave a review on the shoes that fit. It's usually basic and to the point and starts with "I have a wide foot".... and either ends with "my normal size fit fine" or "I went up a size and it worked" 

Ultimately so many reviews - good and bad - are written after a single wearing, or a single day, and are fairly meaningless. As was noted earlier, by the time you give something a fair try, enough to comment meaningfully on its durability, and ease of break-in, it’s fit over time, there’s a good chance that model will have been superseded in the relentless rush for “the next thing”.

• Like 2

For me, like has been said, if something doesn't fit or rubs, the chances are it's not that they are bad but that i've got the wrong size. I think everything that has been said so far is completely on point.

I would only review something if I had something constructive to say about it, even constructive critisicm but after i'd given it enough time to have a proper judgement.

I can remember being disappointed for the first time about the durability of what were some pretty expensive shoes. It was Halloween, and a friend and I were taking our kids trick-or-treating around the neighborhood. It had rained earlier that day, so everything was quite wet. I had a brand new to me pair of Via Spiga chunky heeled boots that I wanted to wear. I almost didn't, but then I thought, "Eh, they're boots! They're designed for this sort of thing."

Uh, no, they were not. I pretty much ruined those things in the space of two hours. The uppers actually fared pretty well, but the leather sole and the heel covering did not. Since I did not buy them new, I didn't have the opportunity to write any sort of review, but if I had, I really wonder if it would have been fair of me to pan the boots.

I have been wearing heels since 1995.  The many times I have bought heels, I almost always have provided a review. On the review I do mention that I am a guy and wear gals shoes. I also thank the manufacturer for making stylish shoes in larger sizes. Does my review make any difference?  Dunno, but maybe others will benefit from the info. Have fun.   sf

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

8 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I can remember being disappointed for the first time about the durability of what were some pretty expensive shoes. It was Halloween, and a friend and I were taking our kids trick-or-treating around the neighborhood. It had rained earlier that day, so everything was quite wet. I had a brand new to me pair of Via Spiga chunky heeled boots that I wanted to wear. I almost didn't, but then I thought, "Eh, they're boots! They're designed for this sort of thing."

Uh, no, they were not. I pretty much ruined those things in the space of two hours. The uppers actually fared pretty well, but the leather sole and the heel covering did not. Since I did not buy them new, I didn't have the opportunity to write any sort of review, but if I had, I really wonder if it would have been fair of me to pan the boots.

That would've been an opportunity for a comedic review....

Just pretend these are gremlins....

Don't feed them after midnight 

And whatever you do.... DON'T GET THEM WET! 

I'm always nervous about leather soled shoes and the potential for traversing catastrophic terrain. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  

• Haha 1

I rather have frivolous negative reviews, I can at least recognize those, then fake positive ones or knowing that companies openly screen and adjust their reviews. Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB have become notorious for filtering out shitloads of negative movie reviews for certain movies that fit the 'right narrative'. Like the current Little Mermaid rehash. Amazon has done the same for their Rings of Power abortion. If they have the ability to 'filter' their reviews, how can I trust any of their reviews if I want to buy a product or see something?

Yes, I was just reading just this morning about IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes trick of “adjusting” the reviews of various “woke” movies to ensure they are glowingly reviewed, whether the reviewers themselves liked the film or not. 

On 6/1/2023 at 1:27 PM, Peeptoe said:

And whatever you do.... DON'T GET THEM WET! 

I'm always nervous about leather soled shoes and the potential for traversing catastrophic terrain. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  

In my younger days, I always wondered why my ex-wife was so concerned if it rained a little bit when we were out on a dressier occasion. My only experience with leather soles had been with traditional men's dress shoes and cowboy boots, neither of which seemed to be bothered by getting wet. Maybe you wouldn't want to ford a stream, but ordinary weather was not a thing I ever thought about. Until Halloween of 2013, when I discovered that women's shoes are built far less durably than men's, starting with the fact that the thickness of a leather sole on women's shoes is about 1/3 the thickness I feel is necessary to have a leather sole.

I used to think leather soles were the way to go, but I have done a 180 on that opinion. Unless you need them for dancing or organ playing, in which case you can't wear them on the street anyway, they basically and fundamentally suck.

• Like 1

It depends on the sole. The leather soles on my boots - admittedly custom and expensive - are sturdy and durable, designed to be worn, walked in and last for ages, and then be resoled if necessary. So leather soles can be good, but you have to find the right boot or shoe maker.