A bronze sculpture with high(ish) heels

at9

In the UK at least, few can be unaware of the toppling of the statue of Edward Colston, the slave trader from Bristol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Colston 

The statue was erected long after he died and is unlikely to be even an approximate likeness. So why am I placing a picture of the statue here? Look at the heels. An example of heels being historically worn by men of social standing.

The statue itself is in the stores at the M Shed museum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M_Shed  in Bristol, awaiting a permanent home in one of the public galleries. Horizontal, with all the graffiti. According to the guide who showed me around the store, this approach was overwhelmingly supported by the people of Bristol. Tours of the store are done several days each week, subject tot he availability of volunteer guides. Both the museum and the tour are worth a visit.

Regardless of the man and his vile occupation, the sculpture is of high quality as a work of art.

1768435501_colston(Small).thumb.jpg.099759ac52390e7acc06e6cb7812e083.jpg

at9 & milroseplant : I do not know anything about Edward Colston and when he lived. However, the square toe shoes remind me of the time of Benjeman Franklin. In the old-old days all shoes were made to be worn on either foot. There was no such thing as a right and left foot shoe. The shoe they wore on their left foot today may be worn on the right foot tomorrow. Me thinks old Ben may have invented the right & left shoe difference. Glad I did not have to wear that shi-t. Mike599da0653b700_DSCF5233(1).thumb.JPG.d7d0f901c10f5c2e96b4a4fe75d5a8f6.JPG