Too Many Shoes?

mlroseplant

I touched upon this subject on Christmas Day a little bit, but it has been eating at me quite a bit more since then, mainly because I've already broken my resolution and have bought more shoes since then. I didn't really make a hard resolution, but I did say 99 pairs were enough. Now I have to say 102 pairs are enough, and I no longer have quite enough space for everything. I was full up before.

Back when my collection was around 50 or even 60 pairs, I could honestly say that yeah, it seems like a lot of shoes, but I actually wear them all. And it was true! I did have summer and winter shoes, but except for maybe a couple of novelty items, I didn't really neglect anybody. Nowadays, by contrast, I just counted 10 pairs that I have not yet even worn outside the house.

Part of the problem is not just sheer numbers, but style. I would say that about three quarters of my collection is definitely on the dressy side, and that includes sandals. If I could actually wear heels to work, I would not be writing this now. The fact is, I just don't have occasion to wear heels that much, and especially not super dressy heels. The fact is, we don't really go anywhere anymore, especially after the pandemic. I do and will have the farmer's market, at least the one on concrete, but the type of shoe that I would wear there is limited once again by style--it needs to be rather casual. By my seat-of-the-pants estimate, I would say that I wear about 15-20 pairs out of the entire collection 90% of the time, and if I want to be brutally self aware, of that 15-20, there are probably half a dozen pair that I wear 75% of that 90%. I definitely have my favorites.

Because many of my shoe styles are quite dressy, as a practical matter I only have around 52 opportunities a year to wear half of my collection. Doing the math, even if I never repeated at any point during the year, that's one wear per year per pair of shoes. As a practical matter, this means some shoes never get worn at all. This was certainly never my intention starting out, but that is certainly what it has become.

• Like 4

I have about a dozen pair of boots - so nowhere near your league - but even so I find myself with a few favourites that get the overwhelming amount of wear. I would never get rid of the other boots, I like having them even if I seldom find reasons to wear them 

• Like 1

Same here, my wife and I maybe have something like 40 pair?

But some are more 'usable' than others, and there are a few styles which I prefer not to walk out with.

So for me, in my '20 something pairs, I'd say I wear maybe only 6 pairs out and about. :)

• Like 1

Heelers : OK let's get straight here. There is NO such thing as to many pairs of high heels. I now have 120 pair of high heels with 5" heels or higher. On 1-22-2023 Sunday I ordered a pair of pumps=court shoes, in nude color. As the saying goes " If the shoe fits buy them in every color" so I did.  Mike

• Like 2

Sorry @spikesmike, there is a point that you have too many shoes.  When you need to get a much larger walk-in closet just for your heels.

I'm don't know how many I have, buts it north of 80. And few (8) are un-opened new replacement heels still in their box.  I have some mainly for winter and a few  for summer.I have 6 knee high boots and I have been looking for more (why).  Pre-pandemic I wore a different pair to work everyday. People would drop by just to see my heels. I have been working from home since the pandemic and don't wear many different ones.

I have a few pairs I need to get rid of, they don't fit right or not in good shape to wear to work.

44 minutes ago, spikesmike said:

Heelers : OK let's get straight here. There is NO such thing as to many pairs of high heels. I now have 120 pair of high heels with 5" heels or higher. On 1-22-2023 Sunday I ordered a pair of pumps=court shoes, in nude color. As the saying goes " If the shoe fits buy them in every color" so I did.  Mike

Yep, can't agree more. Your eventual estate sale as well as mine are going to be amazing.

Mike. I tried sending you a message but was blocked?? Says you're not allowed to receive. 

Edited by Jkrenzer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Yep, can't agree more. Your eventual estate sale as well as mine are going to be amazing.

Mike. I tried sending you a message but was blocked?? Says you're not allowed to receive. 

I had the same problem a few months ago...

I can appreciate those who like collecting things for the sake of collecting them, but I really hate to possess too many of these items if I'm not going to actually use them, especially since my excess is not necessarily limited to shoes. I do not get much pleasure or satisfaction from simply having 100 pairs of shoes, but I do get those feelings from actually wearing them, and more specifically, wearing them out and walking in them. Believe it or not, I really don't wear heels around the house--well, I do, but they're mainly mid-heels, and the biggest criterion for a good house shoe is to be able to slip it on or off hands free. Typically, if you can do that, it doesn't make for a good walking shoe. On a positive note, I did wear some stiletto ankle boots that I haven't worn in several years to choir rehearsal last night!

Another curious thing about me is that in the past when I have bought doubles or triples of a shoe model that I think I really, really like, not long after said purchase, I've lost interest in them. Not always, but it has happened several times when I've bought them in two or more colors. One of these days, I should make a list of all the shoes I've gotten rid of over the years and the reasons why. It won't be a complete list, but it will be in the neighborhood of 80% complete.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I can appreciate those who like collecting things for the sake of collecting them, but I really hate to possess too many of these items if I'm not going to actually use them, especially since my excess is not necessarily limited to shoes. I do not get much pleasure or satisfaction from simply having 100 pairs of shoes, but I do get those feelings from actually wearing them, and more specifically, wearing them out and walking in them. Believe it or not, I really don't wear heels .the house--well, I do, but they're mainly mid-heels, and the biggest criterion for a good house shoe is to be able to slip it on or off hands free. Typically, if you can do that, it doesn't make for a good walking shoe. On a positive note, I did wear some stiletto ankle boots that I haven't worn in several years to choir rehearsal last night!

Another curious thing about me is that in the past when I have bought doubles or triples of a shoe model that I think I really, really like, not long after said purchase, I've lost interest in them. Not always, but it has happened several times when I've bought them in two or more colors. One of these days, I should make a list of all the shoes I've gotten rid of over the years and the reasons why. It won't be a complete list, but it will be in the neighborhood of 80% complete.

I purchased a second pair of the Sam Edelman "Olencia" stiletto boots that I love so much, but didn't purchase them at the same time.  Bought the second pair after enjoying the first pair for a few months.  Was lucky to find the second pair, will try no to destroy them so quickly.  

Tech: What is the story? Just found out that PMs sent to me were blocked. One each JKrenzer and pebblesf. Do you not love me anymore? I haven't sent you nasty grams for years now. Motto: Keep your Heels and standerds high. Mike5a89ad2c11bbd_DSCF5186(1).thumb.JPG.5c93838a2ddd6007db54aef66d4ea63c.JPG

• Like 1

The problem with downsizing is that it takes a lot of work and above all energy to downsize. Offering shoes for sale, both here and on the local auction sites can sometimes take forever. And when you try to sell elsewhere it draws in a lot of crazies and low ballers. Sometimes it's just easier to throw your unwanted pairs into a local 2nd hand clothes collection bins. Easy to do with cheap shoes, but what about the really expensive ones? No wonder we get out of control collections. I finally understand women in that regard. It takes zero effort to buy new shoes, it takes quite some effort to sell old shoes.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chorlini said:

The problem with downsizing is that it takes a lot of work and above all energy to downsize. Offering shoes for sale, both here and on the local auction sites can sometimes take forever. And when you try to sell elsewhere it draws in a lot of crazies and low ballers. Sometimes it's just easier to throw your unwanted pairs into a local 2nd hand clothes collection bins. Easy to do with cheap shoes, but what about the really expensive ones? No wonder we get out of control collections. I finally understand women in that regard. It takes zero effort to buy new shoes, it takes quite some effort to sell old shoes.

I used to sell shoes, but nowadays I give them to the thrift shop. It just so happens that when I did my latest shoe inventory and decided to get rid of a few pair, there is this one particular pair of clogs that I just don't wear at all anymore. There is nothing wrong with them, I've just gotten out of the habit of wearing them. So I put them in the giveaway pile. Then I discovered what they're going for on Poshmark. Like 150-200 bucks! I know I didn't pay that much for these clogs, but I guess I'll keep them now. Or actually attempt to sell them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most of us experienced our childhood with being told guys are forbidden to wear heels, but this didn't delete our desires. By the time we got to be out on our own, our simple desires to wear heels had turned into obsessions, because we weren't able to have the satisfactions we needed to please our desires. With our obsession unleashed, we began buying the heels we prefer and could budget, but even these purchases weren't enough to quench our developed constant longing. Some of us have amassed quite a preferred collection of properly fitting pairs of heels at different heights and appearances, sometimes just to have them around and available for wearing on a whim and/or as outfit accents for public activities.

There have been times due to situations that I complied with the social dictations by discarding my then beautiful heel collections. However this was short lived as I was soon purchasing more pairs while lamenting and regretting I had given into conforming with the social pressures. Now my high heel collection is a bit overwhelming and I should start the process of being able to access all of them as I choose and making room for other pairs that intrigue my preferences.

• Like 1

I'm different than most here. I liked women's heels but had no longing to wear them. In the 70's and 80's I had 2 heels.  Then in 2010 I dicovered my feet fit women's shoes better than men's. I had very few men's shoes and hated shoe shopping because nothing really fit. However, once I found shoes that fit, my view of shoe shopping changed, suddenly it was an enjoyable activity. I found the benifits of high heel for my body and now my walk-in shoe closet is busting at the seams.

16 hours ago, Histiletto said:

Most of us experienced our childhood with being told guys are forbidden to wear heels, but this didn't delete our desires. By the time we got to be out on our own, our simple desires to wear heels had turned into obsessions, because we weren't able to have the satisfactions we needed to please our desires. With our obsession unleashed, we began buying the heels we prefer and could budget, but even these purchases weren't enough to quench our developed constant longing. Some of us have amassed quite a preferred collection of properly fitting pairs of heels at different heights and appearances, sometimes just to have them around and available for wearing on a whim and/or as outfit accents for public activities.

There have been times due to situations that I complied with the social dictations by discarding my then beautiful heel collections. However this was short lived as I was soon purchasing more pairs while lamenting and regretting I had given into conforming with the social pressures. Now my high heel collection is a bit overwhelming and I should start the process of being able to access all of them as I choose and making room for other pairs that intrigue my preferences.

Well said brother!  Your words ring so true.  This theory applies to many other things I wanted to have as a kid.  HO trains, vintage Adidas, levis, and 1958 Evinrude outboards.  I will need to start finding homes for some of these things before I fall off the edge of the earth.  

16 hours ago, Cali said:

I'm different than most here. I liked women's heels but had no longing to wear them. In the 70's and 80's I had 2 heels.  Then in 2010 I dicovered my feet fit women's shoes better than men's. I had very few men's shoes and hated shoe shopping because nothing really fit. However, once I found shoes that fit, my view of shoe shopping changed, suddenly it was an enjoyable activity. I found the benifits of high heel for my body and now my walk-in shoe closet is busting at the seams.

I think your story is shared by many guys, I believe most guys have an appreciation for heels.  Taking the big step to try heels is what sets you apart from the pack.  I wish I could have a walk in boot closet, but know I would fill that sucker up as well.  

• Like 1

I’m going to be living off grid with very limited space - I was with the builder yesterday and realising just how small this space will be. I’ve a dozen pair of lovely boots. They will all be coming, but I had best refrain from getting any more - well, maybe just one more pair…

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:40 AM, spikesmike said:

You are soooo right

I have quite a bit more shoes than my wife which is sad.  I have somewhere around 80-85 pair, and I only wear about 12 or so on regular basis, usually the more practical and comfortable pairs.  The others sit on the sidelines mocking me each day. Once in a while I do put on a less practical pair around the house for a few hours.  I guess it makes me feel better about the situation LOL, but it is so hard to purge them.  Anyway, I try very hard to stick to the rule of buy one, purge one, and I am usually successful with that.  Ideally, though I should cut my collection by half though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

Same for me. Except I will try to get rid of 2 before buying one! Until only approximately 10 pairs left. 

That's an inpressive goal @Pierre1961.  It would take several decades for me to get down to 10 even at 3 for 1.😄

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

At the present moment, I am "down" to 101 pairs. I got a couple more pairs of sandals, but I had a pair of oxfords break on me, another pair of what I call "faux" oxfords sort of break, and I got rid of a pair of shooties that I finally admitted are just too damn big, no matter what I do. I've also had a couple of recent purchases that haven't worked out from the get go, so they never counted in the first place.

I'll elaborate on the latest pair that didn't work out. They are Steve Madden single-sole sandals in nude patent with 4 1/2" stiletto heels. I ran across them on Poshmark, and "liked" them, so I could find them later. After 24 hours, I decided I could live without them, since I already have something somewhat similar, but the seller kept sending me offers to lower the price. Eventually, I caved and said ok. So for a total of about 18 USD, I have a pair of Steve Madden sandals that look pretty decent, but do not fit right. For one thing, they're size 9, which I can rarely get away with in sandals, but not that often. In this case, they are pretty tight over the top of the toes, and yet there is way too much real estate between the ends of my toes and the end of the shoe. If I were to somehow fix this, then there would be way too much space behind my heel, which looks equally bad.

I should really go through and make some hard decisions about how to get the number back down to under 100, simply so I can get everything off the floor. It really shouldn't be that hard.

• 1 month later...

Im completely addicted to heels. I iften impulsively buy just because they appeal to me, often an unusual pair that pique my interest. Just in the last week alone i purchased 3 pairs of over knee/thigh boots. I forget how many pairs of shoes i have now, has to be nearing at least 50 pairs or more. I have so many i keep some in closet, some in storage and some at work.

• Like 1

NrthEastHeel: I am happy you are a bit like me. Since January 2023 I also have purchased three (3) pair of high heel pumps and boots. However, My high heel shoe/boot collection ranges to One hundred and thirty (130) pair. I will never wear them out before I take the dirt nap, but I still keep buying. I think it's also the anticipation of their arrival. Sei Lavie for the high heel fanatic. MikeDSCF5272.thumb.JPG.9e9d44254137def7c8cf722d332c90be.JPGDSCF4008.thumb.JPG.7f3ee03c19cb11dad67a05957b8c5b5d.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spikesmike said:

NrthEastHeel: I am happy you are a bit like me. Since January 2023 I also have purchased three (3) pair of high heel pumps and boots. However, My high heel shoe/boot collection ranges to One hundred and thirty (130) pair. I will never wear them out before I take the dirt nap, but I still keep buying. I think it's also the anticipation of their arrival. Sei Lavie for the high heel fanatic. MikeDSCF5272.thumb.JPG.9e9d44254137def7c8cf722d332c90be.JPGDSCF4008.thumb.JPG.7f3ee03c19cb11dad67a05957b8c5b5d.JPG

Mike let's hope the dirt map is still yrs away.

That being said, I'd love to let your heels live on through me however once that time comes. You and I also have the same tastes.