Stamina and Practice in Heels

mlroseplant

Shyheels: There you go. You are living in the wrong part of the world. If you lived here - Columbus, Ohio - You would see this guy (Me) wearing high stiletto heel boots from Fall to Spring. Crotch high and Knee-high boots. Minimum 5" heels. Tis a pity. MikeDSCF5205.thumb.JPG.0baac31bf8f4990f12a04d0fc982122f.JPG

• Like 2

N the brighter side I do live in a part of the world with a climate suitable for wearing boots year round. And I’m also, fortunately, not the sort who requires the affirmation of others but am happy to be in my own.

That said, I’m sure you cut quite a dash in Columbus and are a splendid advertisement for those who might secretly aspire to heels and boots. As I hope I am on this side of the pond.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

N the brighter side I do live in a part of the world with a climate suitable for wearing boots year round. And I’m also, fortunately, not the sort who requires the affirmation of others but am happy to be in my own.

That said, I’m sure you cut quite a dash in Columbus and are a splendid advertisement for those who might secretly aspire to heels and boots. As I hope I am on this side of the pond.

You are a big inspiration her too buddy, you look great.  

So, today I hit two florida malls, spending about 3 hours shopping wearing my 85mm (actually 3-3/4") JC pumps. I was feeling it by the time I was done shopping, so switched to a pair of 4.5" for hanging around the house. My goal is to get proficient in the 120mm (5.25") heels so we can go to an event or dinner while walking normally at least.

• Like 5

(formerly known as "JimC")

10 hours ago, Rockpup said:

So, today I hit two florida malls, spending about 3 hours shopping wearing my 85mm (actually 3-3/4") JC pumps. I was feeling it by the time I was done shopping, so switched to a pair of 4.5" for hanging around the house. My goal is to get proficient in the 120mm (5.25") heels so we can go to an event or dinner while walking normally at least.

I am guessing that you mean that in your size, those inch translations are the actual measured heel height. It is pretty amazing that you have supplied some information that I have been trying to find for years without success, and that is, "What is the actual heel height of nominal 120mm shoes, such as So Kate, Anouk, et al., in size 40?" I can only assume that you're somewhere close to a size 40.

I knew in my heart of hearts that my Steve Madden "Daisie" pumps, though right at 120mm, did not rise quite literally to the level of the So Kate, which is the shoe they're obviously trying to imitate. I admire your aspiration, but I don't think I'm ever going to get there myself.

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I am guessing that you mean that in your size, those inch translations are the actual measured heel height. It is pretty amazing that you have supplied some information that I have been trying to find for years without success, and that is, "What is the actual heel height of nominal 120mm shoes, such as So Kate, Anouk, et al., in size 40?" I can only assume that you're somewhere close to a size 40.

I knew in my heart of hearts that my Steve Madden "Daisie" pumps, though right at 120mm, did not rise quite literally to the level of the So Kate, which is the shoe they're obviously trying to imitate. I admire your aspiration, but I don't think I'm ever going to get there myself.

Yup, 40. I noticed my 100mm Cole Haans measure 100mm at the back highest point of where the heel meets the shoe, and my Jimmy Choo’s are 100mm in the center of the heel.

Here are the JC on left and CH on right, both listed as 100mm.

4081D5D9-E373-4569-98B6-9AFE5B7AF2EE.jpeg

• Like 3

(formerly known as "JimC")

On 2/14/2023 at 10:33 AM, Rockpup said:

Yup, 40. I noticed my 100mm Cole Haans measure 100mm at the back highest point of where the heel meets the shoe, and my Jimmy Choo’s are 100mm in the center of the heel.

Here are the JC on left and CH on right, both listed as 100mm.

4081D5D9-E373-4569-98B6-9AFE5B7AF2EE.jpeg

Another example of a popular topic.  There needs to be more standarization in determining heel height

It would probably be more accurate to label heeled footwear by the sloping of the insole instead of the heel height. Heeled shoes and boots with platforms distort the wearer's height by the heel height. 1_184804_ZM_2_trio-ad.thumb.jpg.f5244689ee9cbf662af3f8806b2de0d3.jpg The average footwear sizing for the highest heels or steepest insole slope with single soles will only increase the wearer's maximum height gain to under 2.75 inches or 7 cm. The height of the platform is added to this single soled height.

• Like 1

I guess I am largely back, after my hiatus from serious heeling. Although it's still at the limit of what I can walk in semi-gracefully, I wore my Steve Madden Klory pumps to church, which sport 4 3/4" heels. The day was a little bit hectic, which means I didn't even think about my feet until I was loading up my car after the service. I will not claim that my feet were not tired (I spent about two hours in these shoes), but it wasn't like I tore them off my feet the instant I got back home. I would liken it to having a good workout at the gym. It's achy, but it's a good kind of achy. Maybe next time, three hours will be possible. My entire outfit is chronicled elsewhere.

KloryWorn021923.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

I guess I am largely back, after my hiatus from serious heeling. Although it's still at the limit of what I can walk in semi-gracefully, I wore my Steve Madden Klory pumps to church, which sport 4 3/4" heels.

excellent looking pumps.

They are a very attractive pump with a lovely thin heel. As a TG lady (yes I do think of myself as a lady) who wears high heels almost daily, I believe comfort (or maybe a lack of discomfort) is just a matter of persistence.  Jkrenzer you may agree that those who can only wear their high heels from time to time are more likely to suffer the worst discomfort.

old.png

Edited by StilettoLuv
  • Like 6

I played hooky yesterday. Not really, it was a planned day off from work, but still, it felt kind of weird not going to work in the middle of the week. What I did first thing in the morning was walk, despite the less than nice weather conditions. Even though I recommend regular and long distance walking as an essential part of developing stamina in heels, for whatever reason I have only ever walked more than 5 miles at a clip in heels 4 times in my life, yesterday being the most recent. As it turns out, I walked a 10k, or just a little over 6 miles. I can't say it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, as the last couple of miles were a total slog. The good news is that my feet and ankles didn't hurt when I got done, but the rest of me was totally exhausted. And that was with the wind at my back on the second half of the excursion. Which means that either I shouldn't ever do that again, or I should do it a lot more often. The accompanying picture is not from the day of, but it is very close to what my outfit was, and the shoes are correct.

THCoatGlovesCrop.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1

Quite a stroll and in inclement conditions to boot. What prompted the marathon outing?  I couldn't see the heels in the picture - were they block? Stiletto? Id be a bit worried about durability if I was to attempt such a lomg walk in stilettos - both mine and the shoes/boots. 

I’m interested to know what style of heel you’ve got on those shoes too? What kind of pace do you think you were keeping before the last couple of miles?

Edited by roundy

On 2/23/2023 at 5:21 AM, Shyheels said:

Quite a stroll and in inclement conditions to boot. What prompted the marathon outing?  I couldn't see the heels in the picture - were they block? Stiletto? Id be a bit worried about durability if I was to attempt such a lomg walk in stilettos - both mine and the shoes/boots. 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:49 AM, roundy said:

I’m interested to know what style of heel you’ve got on those shoes too? What kind of pace do you think you were keeping before the last couple of miles?

You would think that I'd have a good picture of my Nine West "Sizzle" oxfords, but evidently the only photos I have are not specifically focused on the shoes. I find this somewhat puzzling because, while they are not technically my oldest pair of heels, they are my oldest heels that I still wear, and they are the single most worn pair in my collection. How do I know this? I record dates and mileage when I go for purposeful walks. I've had these for just over 10 years, and very close to 150 miles. 150 miles does not seem like a terrible lot in the grand scheme of things, but other shoes which have approached this sort of heavy use have self-destructed in one way or another. I've got a pair of sandals that may approach that mileage this coming summer, but only time will tell.

Stats for the oxfords: 4 3/4" heel, 3/4" platform, and the heel itself is about 1" wide and 3/4" long, so no, they're not at all stilettos. Another interesting fact about them is that they are really too big for me. For some dumb reason, at the time, I thought I was a size 9 1/2, but I am not. Therefore, I have always worn these with thick wool socks, and it seems to work out very well. Perhaps that is indeed the reason why these have become my sort of default shoe in winter.

As far as the pace goes, I was walking on one of those rails-to-trails bike paths, and there was very little in the way of windblock. Luckily, it just so happens that I chose to walk against the wind for the first three miles, and so I had the wind at my back for the return three miles. I'm sure I would have had a much worse time of it had I chosen to start out in the other direction (I was at a midpoint in the trail). Since I have one a them exercise apps on my phone, I know exactly how fast I wasn't walking. The first mile or two, against the wind, started out somewhere in the neighborhood of 21 minutes per mile. As I became fatigued, I slowed down considerably, despite being able to walk with the wind, so that the last couple were more like 24 minutes a mile. Average pace for the entire 6.1 miles was 22:11, which is really not all that bad for what is effectively four inch heels. And the most important thing is, I actually didn't injure myself. Just sore for a couple of days, mainly in my shins.

As a historical note, I walked pretty much this same route, only further, and in only one direction with my faithful dog Sadie back when it was still railroad tracks. That has been a week or two ago. It actually kind of hurts to think that it was more than 30 years ago. And no, I was not wearing heels for that journey.

Sizzle110mi.thumb.jpg.88a0188ce69bec7214bcd937916ece95.jpg

• Like 3

Those do look a sturdy shoe but as you say a 4 inch heel across that distance isn’t something an occasional wearer would achieve very easily, even with a thicker heel still!

Can you be as kind as to enlighten me as to what a rail to trail path is? Haven’t heard that term over in the UK, over hear I’d imagine it to be an unpaved gravel affair.

An interesting thought to note down the mileage of your shoes, might actually pinch that idea myself haha

1 hour ago, roundy said:

Those do look a sturdy shoe but as you say a 4 inch heel across that distance isn’t something an occasional wearer would achieve very easily, even with a thicker heel still!

Can you be as kind as to enlighten me as to what a rail to trail path is? Haven’t heard that term over in the UK, over hear I’d imagine it to be an unpaved gravel affair.

An interesting thought to note down the mileage of your shoes, might actually pinch that idea myself haha

A rails to trails path is where a disused railway line is converted to a cycling/hiking path. The rails are taken up, and usually the old rail bed is smoothed up a bit and you have a very nice traffic-free path with a very level gradient.

We do have them here in the UK

Edited by Shyheels

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

A rails to trails path is where a disused railway line is converted to a cycling/hiking path. The rails are taken up, and usually the old rail bed is smoothed up a bit and you have a very nice traffic-free path with a very level gradient.

We do have them here in the UK

Gotcha! I know exactly what you’re talking about now. Funnily enough there’s one not more than a few miles from me 😂 Never heard that term before though. Thanks

Would you say it’s harder going than walking on concrete? Just trying to get a sense of other terrains as I’m yet to totter beyond the confines of my house.

Concrete has almost no “give” to it. The surfaces of rails to trails paths are often finely crushed gravel, well packed. As a runner it would certainly be easier and healthier to run on the path. Not sure about walking in heels - either fit the wearer or the state of the heels 

• Like 1

Walking on concrete is not always easy. I had to walk several blocks on a concrete sidewalk that sloped from the building to the street. About a 20 degree slope. Also exposed agate can be challenging in stilettos as well as polished concrete and wet weather.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cali said:

Walking on concrete is not always easy. I had to walk several blocks on a concrete sidewalk that sloped from the building to the street. About a 20 degree slope. Also exposed agate can be challenging in stilettos as well as polished concrete and wet weather.

20 degrees is pretty steep. Even San Francisco doesn't actually have 20 degrees slope. 

• Like 1