Chat GPT..aka Open AI...the future

How many of you guys here have played with Chat GPT? 

AI is going to replace many jobs, poets included, lol

https://chat.openai.com/chat

The results are nothing short of spectacular. 

it wrote the poem attached in 3 seconds.  You can see the command prompt I gave it in the screen shot.

I asked it to code a python script that buys and sells Ethereum on the 1 hour chart based on crossing the 8 EMA. It wrote the code in 23 seconds.

(I tend to play offense with new technology, rather than defense and catch up with the rest of the world later.) 

Screen Shot 1401-09-17 at 19.52.13.png

Edited by kneehighs

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I’ve heard of it. I’m sure it’s clever. In terms of art and literature it will never replicate human passion and emotion and creativity. It can only organise words, colours and shapes into patterns that its programming says is successful. That success may coincide with notions of beauty and expression, but it is by no means the same thing. 

• Like 2

Totally agree. AI's can't replicate human emotion. They're all like Tin Men from the Wizard of Oz. They have no heart. Yet, the advancements will be so fast and exponential, that people won't even realize they're dealing with a computer online anymore.  

The big question is what happens when AI can improve upon itself without human intervention. For sure that day is coming. Human greed guarantees it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 10:58 AM, Shyheels said:

I’ve heard of it. I’m sure it’s clever. In terms of art and literature it will never replicate human passion and emotion and creativity. It can only organise words, colours and shapes into patterns that its programming says is successful. That success may coincide with notions of beauty and expression, but it is by no means the same thing. 

I've heard that said too when drumcomputers came about. And now we have whole music scenes revolving around someone pressing play on their playlist full of electronic copy/paste music where nothing sounds human. Or worse, you hear the recording of a band, 99% chance the voice has been shifted with autotune and the drums and other instruments are quantized along a digital grid to be on the beat. No more of that slight tug and pull that we used to call groove, like John Bonham playing When the Levee Breaks, instead everything gets neatly arrayed and shifted to be on the beat like a machine.  And the thing is, AI gets better all the time, humans only seem to get dumber. We already have drum computers that try to simulate that tug and pull on the beat that a human drummer does. We have AI's that can almost can hold a conversation with a human like a human.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are already seeing an issue in the educatin system. Kids are getting reports done based on a couple comments, and then turning them in with no atual research, or in some cases, not even reading the required text.

AI needs to be controlled if it is to be of a positive use in the near future. Lack thereof will start the slippery slope science fiction has predicted for us.

• Like 1

Back in ancient times they said this writing nonsense will never catch on. In any case it's bad for the memory.

In the middle ages they said printing was dangerous. Putting knowledge into the hands of too many people.

Recently they said the WWW was dangerous, as people would not need to remember facts anymore when they were so readily available.

Now there's a panic about AI.....

• Like 1

AI is a vastly different kettle of fish than writing - and I am unaware, for that matter, of anyone ever complaining about writing being a bad thing.

Nor have I ever heard the other criticisms you mention.

AI on the other hand had the likes of Stephen Hawkins truly alarmed - and a great many others besides. We have never had any technology nearly as pervasive and all encompassing and humans’ track record for using powerful new technologies is not one that inspires confidence. 

There is excellent cause for concern

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 7:43 PM, at9 said:

Back in ancient times they said this writing nonsense will never catch on. In any case it's bad for the memory.

In the middle ages they said printing was dangerous. Putting knowledge into the hands of too many people.

Recently they said the WWW was dangerous, as people would not need to remember facts anymore when they were so readily available.

Now there's a panic about AI.....

Who is this 'they'? I don't remember any of those 'they's' saying that. I'm sure that monks were pissed off that their copying old manuscripts by hand was out of business with the printing press, but with the Reformation happening they had bigger fish to fry. As for the WWW, we only need to see how divisive, narcissistic and manipulative social media has turned out to be. It used to be that most people lived on the land, then a revolution in agriculture allowed an excess labor force to be created which could work in industry. Then automation happened and industries got shipped to China and we all had to move into offices and service industry pushing paper around. Now the office jobs are getting automated too and even the one thing left to us, the creative industries, are feeling the hot breath of AI in them too. We are running out of fields to shove our excess working population into. And we cannot have an idle population living off universal income doing nothing. Idle people with no hope for advancement or things to keep them are dangerous people. Those were the people that ISIS managed to attract so well to fight for Islamic State, remember all those young people traveling to Syria? We are not designed by nature to live idle. We find meaning and purpose in struggle, not comfort. Which means the governments will lean even harder into AI to control and track us all.

I'm growing ever more firmly in the belief that maybe Frank Herbert was right after all when he wrote Dune, which had a futuristic society which had forbidden AI and automation. Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind. Same with the Adeptus Mechanicus in Warhammer 40K, which calls AI Abominable Intelligence. It is just too great and dangerous a tool for people in power to have and handle. Not even the USSR under the worst excesses of Stalin had the means to monitor and track its subjects like we do now with AI.

• Like 1

Unlike in 1984 we submit to surveillance voluntarily. Many of us carry a device that tracks our movements.  A large number have an Alexa who (which?) is always listening to what we say, even if the masters of the universe claim it isn't. CCTV with automatic face recognition is supposed outlawed in most places in the UK, but how do we know it's been switched off?

When we click "no" or "reject cookies" etc on a web page how do we know that our decision has been respected?

"You have nothing to be afraid of if you haven't done anything wrong" is not a sufficient answer. In parts of the world, where, on the whole, we can live our lives freely, subject only to well known legal limits, we still have worries. For example: https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/black-athlete-criticises-uk-police-after-car-stopped-second-time-2022-08-15/

Go to Russia, China a host of other countries and increasingly India, you have half the world's population living with highly controlled information. Even if many of those people don't realise it. Information is dangerous, and not just in the internet age - the Soviet Union had strict controls on typewriters for example.

Surveillance and AI are not the same things. To be sure the degree of surveillance in our society - let alone the more authoritarian ones - is disturbing as is the almost gleeful willingness of large parts of society to trade their privacy for cheap fun, but AI is something else again 

Facial recognition is an AI application.

The EU is leading the world in regulating AI. https://www.simmons-simmons.com/en/publications/cko477kzk2jyr0918n01q2l8u/quick-guide-to-the-eu-draft-ai-regulation

and many other possible references. The legislation will be flawed, possibly badly flawed, but at least it's an attempt. Huge companies like Meta, Alphabet, Amazon may find it easier to adopt the EU regulations worldwide as far as possible. Just as the GDPR has major implications outside the EU.

On 1/2/2023 at 2:22 AM, Heelster said:

It's not completely voluntary - - to function and work in society, we are left with little choice.

You basically need a smartphone and online accounts to function in today's society. My late grandmother had neither, and she was severely handicapped in what she could do. Of course she already was by her old age, so it was kinda moot. And I find it highly worrisome that we can get increasingly deplatformed even from essential services, like your bank, for things that a dictator elsewhere in the world wouldn't give two shits about. Another reason why I find AI increasingly worrisome.

Speaking of AI, I recently watched Colossus: The Forbin Project. A 1970 film about a military AI controlling all the world's nukes taking over the world.

Humankind is presented with the choice between "the peace of plenty and content, or the peace of unburied death". Colossus tells its creator Forbin that the world, now freed from war, will create a new human millennium that will raise humankind to new heights, but only under its absolute rule. Colossus informs Forbin that "freedom is an illusion" and that "in time you will come to regard me not only with respect and awe, but with love".

A great movie. Ironically, that is what the moral busy bodies who want to control us always dream of. That we will not only accept their Brave New World but come to love it. And them too of course.

Our future ruler of Earth, Overlord DVD found a report on how the US government is funding research of the University of Washington to create an AI to monitor and censor harmful discriminating language. A woke Big Brother AI.

AI is evil and must be destroyed. Bad enough that humans spy on us, but to have AI do it?

• Like 1

Let's say that the last several years has seen the emergence of lots of 'thought police officers' as well.

Censorship? Yeah.

Lies? Yeah.

Corruption? Yeah.

Let's wave some flags and urge people to go to war, this way we might get some dividends...

On 12/30/2022 at 7:46 AM, at9 said:

Go to Russia, China a host of other countries and increasingly India, you have half the world's population living with highly controlled information. Even if many of those people don't realise it. Information is dangerous, and not just in the internet age - the Soviet Union had strict controls on typewriters for example.

I hope you do get the fact that USA is spying on the whole world.

And that Israeli tech is behind lots of surveillance firms.

I mean, Silicon Valley is basically an extension of the federal government. More so, many of these firms have contract with the 'defense' industry.

And let's not forget here, in Canada, super Trudeau who allowed the spying of more than 33 million cellphones.

So, I agree, lots willingly consent to being tracked and monitored. But I hope you do not think than in american, "half of the population" is not living with highly controlled information also!

"What were those ideas I can't cope with? Ahhhh yeah... let's censor!" - Zuckerberg and co.

• Like 1

Britain is a surveillance society to the nth degree, and always has been. There us more CCTV monitoring here than almost anyplace else on earth, and the potential for abuse and Orwellian control is only going to get worse with the development of AI technology. 

Here’s a Twitter thread with some interesting actionable Chat GPT applications. For what it’s worth, I don’t know what Chat GPT privacy is like. So I would only apply these off dummy accounts off dummy devices. And be careful not to share any personal data.

Edited by kneehighs

I tried WebChat GPT. It provides 2 results.  First, web results (Web search results, 2d pic). Second, it summarizes the 3 search results (Chat GPT summary)

Not nearly as useful as the standard Chat GPT for me.

Chat GPT Summary.png

Web search results.jpg

Edited by kneehighs

To which Chat GPT prompted by "People argue AI is bad and does not represent human emotional connection. What is the argument for why AI represents human emotion?" would respond:

Screen Shot 1401-10-27 at 09.20.09.png

Of course the obvious response to anyone suggesting there is a need for machines that can mimic human responses to stimuli is to point out that there are well over 7 billion people in the world, and counting, so there is hardly a shortage of the real thing.