Heels to a Concert?

VirginHeels

How many of you wear heels to a concert? If it’s seated I see no problem. However, with standing, often, standing, in the same position for 4 to 5 (maybe 6 or more) hours, how often does this give cramps or give you some other issues with your feet?

I’ve a gig next week, and with the cold weather coming in, I’m thinking about my 4 inch cowboy boots as they are fleece lined and will keep my feet lovely and warm.

What’s your experiences with heels to a concert?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VirginHeels said:

What’s your experiences with heels to a concert?

Thanks in advance.

Done it, but only once when I couldn't sit for even a minute I wished I didn't. Wore 4.75 inch nine west boots that I thought were comfortable until I stood on concrete for 2 hrs with no relief. Actually walking back to the car with my wife and one her friends was a bit relieving.

I suggest you stand in a small area for at least half an hour. Don't sit, don't walk too much. If you start to feel soreness or cramps don't do it.

• Like 1

I'd be in Krenzer's camp, except for one thing. You said this was your gig? If you're anything like me, you won't even notice your heels until the performance is over. After that, you won't be able to walk properly.  If you really want to wear your heels for the gig, bring flatter shoes for the teardown and loadout afterwards. If attending someone else's concert, yeah, I'd be very careful about what shoes you wear. Standing is way more challenging than walking.

• Like 1

I took my boots in my bag with me to a pub show once and wore plain shoes on the bus to the venue. I'd recommend bringing a change of footwear if you're certain you're standing for a long time.

IMG_20221203_141656_(505_x_1000_pixel).jpg

• Like 2

VirginHeels: Let's look at this concert thing from the top. Are you talking about Rap?- Which is the opposite of music. Are you talking about a sort of Flashmob? How about the Electric Light Orchestra? I have been to concert venues and never had to stand. The one time where there were no chairs, I was with my wife, and we were both in 5" stilettos for hours. If you are a lover of high heels - Then it sounds like you need practice standing. Go to the concert and try not to whimp out. Mike59a05bd77b768_DSCF5220(1).thumb.JPG.1204b095420cc504643926a6731a2222.JPG

• Like 3

Just don't jump up and down; AND you will get a better view of the show in heels. 🤣

Other thing it might be hard to see the floor when you leave the venue, so be careful where you step.

1 hour ago, Cali said:

Just don't jump up and down; AND you will get a better view of the show in heels. 🤣

Other thing it might be hard to see the floor when you leave the venue, so be careful where you step.

I know that. Once almost went my length when seeing Stone Sour in 2017. Had my hunka chunka Timberland boots on then.

The view will be greatly improved as I always have to cope with Mr 6foot4 brick outhouse about 10 foot in front of me.

• Like 1

Even I were to wear heels out of the home, which I don't, all the concerts I have been too were general admission, cause I hate sitting on the stands. GA is where all the energy and fun is happening. The downside of that is LOTS of standing before the show even starts. There were times where my feet ached before the show even started. So comfy flats it will be. Although, having a pair with heels that can extend to make you see over the heads would be cool. But that's why I get in line as early as possible, to get a good spot up front so I can see. As for in the mosh pits? Forget it even more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. X said:

I've done it.  But if I do it is not stilettos.  It will be a boot of some kind with a thicker heel.  And not too tall.

Same, I have done several concerts in boots with a chunky heel or wedge, and only when I don't have to stand the entire time, just as jkrenzer said.

• Like 1

Not a concert situation, but similar as far as standing: I wore these shoes to church yesterday. I had them on for about 3 1/2 hours. Out of that 3 1/2, I got to sit down for about 30 minutes. Maybe 45 tops, and not all at once. I am somewhat dismayed to report that I was quite ready to get out of them by the time I got back home. I have been very lazy about following my own advice, and I've gotten out of condition. I find that for me personally, it takes a great deal of endurance training to be able to hack wearing heels that high for many several hours of standing. I've been slacking lately, and it shows. Not that the shoes were painful, it's that my feet and ankles were fatigued after 3 hours, and I was ready to stop.

SM Ronni w:burgandy suit.jpg

• Like 3

Fine looking pumps. I have found that rounded vamps can actually be less comfortable than almond shaped vamps. I also have found hose or other foot covering tend to cause my feet to slip forward into the vamp loading my toes a bit more, less friction. I'm wondering if your went barefoot in those if you would have had less long-term discomfort. 

Worn to both play shows, and to attend them. Fun, but hard work, and must be boots with a ton of support. Height can be an issue as well, as I found out for a hired session live show a few years back. 12 hours in Jeff Campbell booties with a six inch heel and patent leather. Not fun. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help! I’m going in boots, sadly no heels. It’s due to be about 0C tomorrow for the queue. Think I’m gonna go away and find/try on boots like the Timberland ones with the 2.5 inch heel. A warm boot with a moderate but comfortable heel.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Fine looking pumps. I have found that rounded vamps can actually be less comfortable than almond shaped vamps. I also have found hose or other foot covering tend to cause my feet to slip forward into the vamp loading my toes a bit more, less friction. I'm wondering if your went barefoot in those if you would have had less long-term discomfort. 

I didn't really have any problems with the comfort of the shoe, it's just that I'm not used to being in that position for that long these days. I tell people it's like ballet dancing or practicing a musical instrument. The subtlety and endurance leaves you rather quickly. I have been very lazy this last month or so. Not that I haven't worn heels every day, but I haven't really gone anywhere, and my walking has been severely curtailed by the cold weather I don't want to go out in.

It may be hosiery vs bare feet, but then again, it may not be. I did not have any trouble with walking out of these particular pumps as I do with many when I wear hosiery. I'm going to chalk it up mostly to not wearing heels enough for the last two months, and losing that hard core edge.

Well. That was interesting. The amount of women there in some sort of heel was amazing. There must have been 80 that I saw, plus triple that in those Doc Martens with the 3-4 inch sole. Timberland Kingsley boot was common, plus one’s slightly shorter. There was also a lass there with white 6 inch boots with a platform. There was Kitten heels and some 80mm stilettos in the seated areas of the Arena.

As Melrose said, the body gets lazy quickly. I am fit, I can run for most of 10K and am 4 inches slimmer than when I saw those bands last in 2019. But gig/concert fit, I am not. Parts of the body are sore and have cramps that I forgot I had. Not used to standing for 4-5 hours at a time with no seat. Plus the fitness element has me a half inch shorter than I was too, spinal compression of the vertebrae, which is normal with runners.

I think I’m gonna look at some comfortable heels in the 2-3 inch marker now. Or at least in the morning.

• Like 1

Sounds like quite an interesting crowd.

wearing heels does seem to require a different sort of fitness to that obtained by running or cycling.. I do a lot of cycling but find that wearing fuve inch stilettos is an intense calf workout - no doubt in part because I do not often wear five inch heels, but also because different muscles are involved.

I am a big fan of boots with 3-4 inch block heels. They are stable and you can wear them anywhere and as you would any other type of footwear, while still having the cavalier styling of wearing heels.

Standing for long periods though takes practice and can still be tiring no matter what your footwear. I used to run marathons at a fairly competitive level many many years ago - my times were around 2:30  - and yet I  marvelled at the endurance of the slower four hour runners and how they could stay on their feet that long.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

Agreed! I can walk 2 hours in 5 inches but can’t comfortably stand for more than half an hour. 
Same in flat : 5 hours walk is ok but more than one standing is a torture. Mainly for the lower back. 
i also do a lot of cycling and it’s of no help for heel wearing. Obviously not the same muscles involved. 

• Like 2