How Is This Even Possible (Ankle Flexibility Study)?

mlroseplant

Many of you are familiar with the following commercial, which came out about 5 years ago. The relevant portion of this is at about 0:23, which is screen shot at the end, along with my photos:

This model appears to be wearing CL Merci Allen, but perhaps a custom pair, because I've never seen this color before. In any case, if she were my size, those heels would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 1/4 - 5 1/2" on a size 40 or U.S. women's 9. Notice how she is able to take a reasonably big step and still keep her knees perfectly straight. This is one of the main keys to looking good when walking in heels. We wish we could see this model walk for a distance in these heels, preferably outside, to see how that would actually look in real life. Unfortunately, we get about one second of walking, and several more seconds of dancing in a highly edited package.

After reviewing this commercial, which I had forgotten about for several years, I decided to see how I would fare in a similar situation. So I made videos of me walking in various heights of heels, just to see what is possible for a normal person. There is nothing scientific about this, it's just for fun, and for self-awareness.

The first thing I noticed is that due to the shape of my legs, my knees don't straighten out quite as nicely as the model's. Even if my knees are locked, they are still sort of more prominent than the model's. Nothing I can do about that, but I have found in my research that it doesn't matter if you don't keep your knees perfectly straight as you take that forward stride, they just have to be pretty close. A few degrees of bend is acceptable. 10 degrees of bend is unacceptable.

The pictures at the end are as follows: Screenshot of the model in her 5+ inch heels, me in 3" heels, me in 4" heels, me in 4 3/4" heels, me in 5+" heels. I've got the lower heels handled as far as ankle flexibility. I did better in the almost not quite 5 inchers than I thought I would, but this is an encapsulated, relatively controlled moment, and I won't be wearing these in public for a while, if ever. The super high ones, well, you see the best I can do. Not good enough. Anyway, I thought it was something fun to share.

AnkleFlexMerciAllen.jpg

AnkleFlex3inch.jpg

AnkleFlex4inch.jpg

AnkleFlex5inch.jpg

AnkleFlexMax.jpg

• Like 5

First, I think it's quite possible that the model is also a professional dancer.

More to the point, my opinion is that walking well (really well) in very high heels is not only athletic but also an art form that requires practice and dedication. Very few women possess the skill. Many look challenged when they try... some look downright clumsy. IMO, more males that love to wear high stiletto heels (not platforms) are prepared to dedicate some effort to become skilled. And the odd reward to this effort is that very high (5"+) heels are far more comfortable to wear for extended time and distance when the wearer is very good in the high heels.

• Like 2

Very true. My asumption is that the woman is a professional dancer. I used to be a reasonably good fencer and at one point in my life definitely had that level of flexibility in my ankles. I still have a lot strength and flexibility in my ankles, although not so much as I did back then. And I agree that men are more likely to take a serious interest in walking well in heels. We're a self selecting group - we wear heels because we like them, not because we are expected to. And we like them sufficiently to risk the withering scorn and ridicule of a censorious society. Having  made that level of commitment we'd naturally go the etra mile - so to speak - to learn to walk gracefully in them.

• Like 2

Your stride length, as expected, gets shorter with height. Don't sell yourself short, your step and legs in the 5 inch heels looks fine. Your knee bend is minimal and seems consistent from shoe to shoe. Thanks for the comparison shots. Your neighbors like mine are fully aware of your heels but must been wondering, what in the world is he doing". 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 6:26 AM, mlroseplant said:

Many of you are familiar with the following commercial, which came out about 5 years ago. The relevant portion of this is at about 0:23, which is screen shot at the end, along with my photos:

This model appears to be wearing CL Merci Allen, but perhaps a custom pair, because I've never seen this color before. In any case, if she were my size, those heels would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 1/4 - 5 1/2" on a size 40 or U.S. women's 9. Notice how she is able to take a reasonably big step and still keep her knees perfectly straight. This is one of the main keys to looking good when walking in heels. We wish we could see this model walk for a distance in these heels, preferably outside, to see how that would actually look in real life. Unfortunately, we get about one second of walking, and several more seconds of dancing in a highly edited package.

After reviewing this commercial, which I had forgotten about for several years, I decided to see how I would fare in a similar situation. So I made videos of me walking in various heights of heels, just to see what is possible for a normal person. There is nothing scientific about this, it's just for fun, and for self-awareness.

The first thing I noticed is that due to the shape of my legs, my knees don't straighten out quite as nicely as the model's. Even if my knees are locked, they are still sort of more prominent than the model's. Nothing I can do about that, but I have found in my research that it doesn't matter if you don't keep your knees perfectly straight as you take that forward stride, they just have to be pretty close. A few degrees of bend is acceptable. 10 degrees of bend is unacceptable.

The pictures at the end are as follows: Screenshot of the model in her 5+ inch heels, me in 3" heels, me in 4" heels, me in 4 3/4" heels, me in 5+" heels. I've got the lower heels handled as far as ankle flexibility. I did better in the almost not quite 5 inchers than I thought I would, but this is an encapsulated, relatively controlled moment, and I won't be wearing these in public for a while, if ever. The super high ones, well, you see the best I can do. Not good enough. Anyway, I thought it was something fun to share.

AnkleFlexMerciAllen.jpg

AnkleFlex3inch.jpg

AnkleFlex4inch.jpg

AnkleFlex5inch.jpg

AnkleFlexMax.jpg

Very interesting study indeed.  Funny, but your knees look to be at roughly the same angle for all the heel heights, but the strides decrease with the increase in height, I guess the final picture does show a slight increase in knee angle.  

1 hour ago, Jkrenzer said:

Your stride length, as expected, gets shorter with height. Don't sell yourself short, your step and legs in the 5 inch heels looks fine. Your knee bend is minimal and seems consistent from shoe to shoe. Thanks for the comparison shots. Your neighbors like mine are fully aware of your heels but must been wondering, what in the world is he doing". 🙂

The neighbors might be wondering, but they are enjoying the view and are secretly envious for sure, both men and women