Fluevog Grand Nationals are back!!!

alphax

• 3 months later...

🤣🤣🤣  Only $650? Get two.

I have a few heels that cost north of $250 and I expect to get 20 years or more of service from them. Many of the under $50 heels only last a few years.

• Like 1

As a locally famous men's clothing seller used to say, "It's about the cost per wear." His pitch was that his suits were the most expensive, but that they were the most carefully tailored and the best quality, therefore you could keep wearing them for 20 years, yielding a low cost per wear number.

When it comes to high heeled footwear, I am not convinced that there is even a correlation, much less a direct mathematical ratio, between price of the item and durability of the item. Sure, expensive shoes are made out of nicer materials, look better, often feel better, and are generally more beautiful to all of the senses, but that cost per wear number? It's all over the place. Some of the most expensive shoes I've owned have proven to be the least durable, and some of the cheapest have proven to be almost indestructible. The formula works for many things, but its application is suspect when it comes to heels.

When it comes to the instant case, these Fluevogs will never do well in the cost per wear analysis, even at 1/4 the price, because they're something that you wouldn't wear every day. Even in just plain black, they are a bit too much of a novelty item to wear with anything and everything for the vast majority of us.

• Like 1

Indeed! Styling, materials and workmanship are all integral to the cost-wear analysis. One likes to imagine that cost is an accurate reflection of materials and workmanship but that is far from guaranteed. I have boots that cost as much as these but the materials and workmanship are superb - they will certainly last 20 years, no problem.

You can never go wrong with classical styling so not only will a well made pair of heels last the 20 years, you’ll get an actual 20 years use out of them. 

• Like 1