Bananashoes visit.

Calv

This is Xaphod on Calv's computer. Xaphod is in the doghouse at present, because he dumped the text of this into electronic oblivion while trying to find the image of the pub we went to ! I now have to type the whole lot back in !!!!!

Back to the plot ....

I made an appointment by email to try on a few pairs of shoes. Although Bananashoes are not set up as a retail outlet, they are happy for you to try on shoes if you make an appointment first, preferably with a list of the styles you want to try so they can get them out, ready for your arrival.

We were met by the owner, Sharon, who, herself, has more shoes in her collection than she really needs (a bit of a shoe-aholic, I think).

While I tried on a pair of Dragon Boots, Calv had a browse around the shelves. I liked the dragon boots from their description on the Bananashoes site, so it was really a matter of whether I could get the zips closed over my high insteps. After a little effort I managed this, but I find this is becoming easier now I have worn the boots a little. OK, X, less of the yakkety-yak and cut to the pic !

Posted Image

I had quite a long chat with Sharon while Calv was browsing. She has quite a few guys who buy shoes to wear themselves, many of whom are going through the 'shy mode, I'm the only one problems'. I left our URL with her which she is going to put up on the wall. Hopefully we may find a few more board members from this source. Calv notes that Sharon could do with some carpet on the warehouse floor to avoid the soles of shoes being marked while we're trying them on.

Calv was looking for some leather stils and found some Leatherworks 5.5 inchers in size 10, but, on trying them he didn't like the toe shape. Looking further, he found and rejected the Leatherworks 7" as very nice but.... then found some Highest Heel leather-look 4" 'classic' in size 11M (US) whic fitted him well - sold.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We returned via the Derbyshire Peak District and had lunch at the pub in Beeley on the Duke of Devonshire's estate.

Posted Image

Appropriate to my clothing (leather trousers, 5" fuss courts) I had a pint of 'Old Peculier' to drink. The problem with this beer is that it is 5.6%, so the barman was a little confused when I made the comment that I would like two eyes that pointed in the same direction when my refill was only a half !

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

my upmost apologies for not being able to join you. I have been assisting my dad in the collection of a new vehicle from manchester, so have been a bit tied up. I didnt reply to your PM for your plans because my dad kept changing his dates for fetching his car. hope you will be at the hayway gathering so that we can meet again. daz

Daz .... Yes, I thought I would PM you on the offchance you were free. I'm not 100% sure whether I will appear at Hayway or not. If I do, it will be more for the social side of the meeting than for serious shoe shopping. BTW, you being a bank wallah, what's the going rate for a business mortgage of £200k, secured on property? The best quote I have is base rate+2.5%. Loveheel .... I must admit I really liked the look. This induced me to buy them, more than any practicality of wearing them, summer approaching and all. Xa

hi xaphod, te mt might conen me fo e social side too, depending on the day. I will enquire for the mortgage for you, business mortgages are different to what i would deal with in retail, but no probs in having an ask of our bus dept for you daz

I took out a private loan secured on property to purchase some land recently and I got it at 5.8% I don't know if that was good or bad, but it seemed reasonable to me. If you are interested we're also looking at some interest only loans to complete the build and I can tell you where we got them and what rate.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I'm thinking of ordering from Bananashoes and would like to ask for your advice, as I see some of you have bought from them before. 1) In your experience, do their shoes tend to be on the small/large side of the size stated or spot on? Their size tables seem to contradict the "translation" I am used to. It says size 8 (UK) is the equivalent of size 41 (EUR), while in my experience it is 42 (EUR). 2) What is your experience as to quality, balance, comfort of their shoes? Thanks folks, CeliaC Of course I'll show pictures in due course when I finally get round to ordering. :D

Bananashoes buy from various suppliers worldwide, so the sizing is likely to be a bit variable. The Dragon boots were Chinese (regretably all man-made materials) but the sizing was spot on. I don't know if they are stocking more leather shoes/boots from the higher quality end of the spectrum nowadays, but they are reputable outfit. Xa